Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

The only benefit of having Woodson next year is that the administration will probably be exposed for the fools and corrupt officials that they are.  I knew this 30 years ago and stands true today. Hopefully more people wake up.  I have no doubt that we might sign good transfer players, but coaching will limit the team to probably a sweet sixteen at best.  
Judging by the way the view success anymore a sweet 16 by Woodson may get him a lifetime contract and a statue.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

Posing a question in light of the money we apparently have at our disposal: how do we feel about 24-25 if the summer ends like this

PG: Proven 15+ ppg P5 transfer

SG: Proven P5 40ish percent from 3

SF: Galloway

PF: Reneau/Mgbako

C: 5* Rim Protector/Reneau

Bench: guard transfer, leal, cupps, sparks

Are we excited? Still pissed? Indifferent? I know there is a lot of vitriol currently, but maybe we have to consider the massive NIL contributions as a Woody-specific benefit that could outweigh some of his admittedly glaring issues. I doubt they would throw a blank check if we made a change this year. Just trying to talk myself into being excited this summer and next year. I feel defeated already lol

I’ll feel excitement when Mike Woodson is gone. He’s just very, very hard for me to root for. 

3 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

Posing a question in light of the money we apparently have at our disposal: how do we feel about 24-25 if the summer ends like this

Are we excited? Still pissed? Indifferent? I know there is a lot of vitriol currently, but maybe we have to consider the massive NIL contributions as a Woody-specific benefit that could outweigh some of his admittedly glaring issues. I doubt they would throw a blank check if we made a change this year. Just trying to talk myself into being excited this summer and next year. I feel defeated already lol

I've been doing these mental gymnastics too for the last week.  I think with the right roster I could get excited.  I don't even know exactly what that looks like because whatever its ceiling is, I won't have faith we reach it.

For me, It's just as much about the long term.  Woody will do 3 more years max if things go to plan?  Can he learn and figure things out?  maybe but then how much is that really benefitting us for 2-3 years before we scrap it and go about our next plans.  

2 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

The only benefit of having Woodson next year is that the administration will probably be exposed for the fools and corrupt officials that they are.  I knew this 30 years ago and stands true today. Hopefully more people wake up.  I have no doubt that we might sign good transfer players, but coaching will limit the team to probably a sweet sixteen at best.  

As far as next season everyone needs to pray that we either win big or lose big. Anything in between is the doomsday scenario imo.  Worst case scenario is Woody squeaks into the tourney, gets blasted, and the administration thinks he did just enough for a year 5.  

1 minute ago, JimmerNoe said:

Mostly agree here.  If MR and MM are back they start and assuming they are back then:

PG: Proven 15+ ppg P5 transfer - needs to be a strong defender, ball handler and scorer.  I would spend most of my NIL money here and get the best do it all PG available.  

SG: Galloway - if MR, MM and Gallo are back they all 3 start

SF: MM

PF: Reneau

C: 5* Rim Protector - this one could be the easiest to get given the success of TJD and Ware

Bench: Leal + Woody has done well with decommits as well so maybe one slides in to this spot.  I would also like to see some portal guys that may be 2 year guys but would be an upgrade to Banks, CJ, Cupps.  I am hoping Sparks can make a big jump in the offseason like we have seen in other bigs at IU.  Does not have to move him to a starter role but if he can go to strong option with a few go to moves on offense and be a strong rebounder he could help.  But as he is, he is limited.

From the big NIL bucket you increase MM, probably MR, Gallo and then spend big on the best PG available and the next great center.  You could get this with 2-3 Portal guys and a couple decommits.  But I suspect we may lose several of the guys that move down the roster with these additions.  CJ, Banks, maybe Cupps and added to the seniors leaving, we need some more guys for bench depth.  

13 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

I would say that I personally would think that would make us a bubble team for next year. The offense will still be outdated, and the defense for some reason takes a half year for new people to understand it. Throw in coaching issues and bad FT shooting I have us about where we're at now. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Mostly agree here.  If MR and MM are back they start and assuming they are back then:

PG: Proven 15+ ppg P5 transfer - needs to be a strong defender, ball handler and scorer.  I would spend most of my NIL money here and get the best do it all PG available.  

SG: Galloway - if MR, MM and Gallo are back they all 3 start

SF: MM

PF: Reneau

C: 5* Rim Protector - this one could be the easiest to get given the success of TJD and Ware

Bench: Leal + Woody has done well with decommits as well so maybe one slides in to this spot.  I would also like to see some portal guys that may be 2 year guys but would be an upgrade to Banks, CJ, Cupps.  I am hoping Sparks can make a big jump in the offseason like we have seen in other bigs at IU.  Does not have to move him to a starter role but if he can go to strong option with a few go to moves on offense and be a strong rebounder he could help.  But as he is, he is limited.

From the big NIL bucket you increase MM, probably MR, Gallo and then spend big on the best PG available and the next great center.  You could get this with 2-3 Portal guys and a couple decommits.  But I suspect we may lose several of the guys that move down the roster with these additions.  CJ, Banks, maybe Cupps and added to the seniors leaving, we need some more guys for bench depth.  

You know we are going to run out there a Portal PG, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau and a true 5. With Leal coming off the bench

Just now, Chris007 said:

You know we are going to run out there a Portal PG, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau and a true 5. With Leal coming off the bench

Yep and about the only way this can be a meaningful bounce has to be if that portal PG is one of if not the best PG in the portal.  He has to become one of the first 2 options on offense.

I am calling it now. If leal leaves the bench at any meaningful point next season we didn't do enough in the portal and pur season will not be great!

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing both Reneau and Mgbako get raises, then we need a couple of guards, and then of course we need another big man. 

Here is the problem I have with the transfer portal. We all wanted so badly Jordan Dingle who ended up at St. John’s and Nicholas Timberlake who ended up at Kansas. We didn’t really have any legitimate chance at any of the other top ones. 

Dingle - 24.8mpg, 11.2pts, 30.8% 3pt

Timberlake - 14mpg, 4.6pts, 28.9% 3pt

I realize we didn’t get Caleb Love or Dalton Knecht and those would have been the top 2 difference makers for our team. My point is though, IU has to land quite literally the very best C, PG, SG, and SF in the portal of MM doesn’t come back to have any chance of success next season. And if the best we can get is at the Timberlake/Dingle level, then there won’t be many wins next year either. And as much as it might drive me crazy to watch, we need a Caleb Love type that can create their own shot. We know Woody won’t be creating plays for them. 

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I am calling it now. If leal leaves the bench at any meaningful point next season we didn't do enough in the portal and pur season will not be great!

But he protected his coach, he's got to play now

21 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

As far as next season everyone needs to pray that we either win big or lose big. Anything in between is the doomsday scenario imo.  Worst case scenario is Woody squeaks into the tourney, gets blasted, and the administration thinks he did just enough for a year 5.  

He does just enough to keep his friends happy and we keep missing out on coaches because of nepotism.

Exposing how incompetent and/or corrupt the IU leadership is would be about the only benefit. 

I think we're going to stink regardless because I think Woodson is going to presume that the people coming will grasp what he desires from the get go.  It won't work that way because they need a ton of repetition to learn where they have to be in certain plays and Woodson doesn't really want to put in the work.  The open three pointers will kill us. 

1 minute ago, ib4iu said:

Here is the problem I have with the transfer portal. We all wanted so badly Jordan Dingle who ended up at St. John’s and Nicholas Timberlake who ended up at Kansas. We didn’t really have any legitimate chance at any of the other top ones. 

I realize we didn’t get Caleb Love or Dalton Knecht and those would have been the top 2 difference makers for our team. My point is though, IU has to land quite literally the very best C, PG, SG, and SF in the portal of MM doesn’t come back to have any chance of success next season. And if the best we can get is at the Timberlake/Dingle level, then there won’t be many wins next year either. And as much as it might drive me crazy to watch, we need a Caleb Love type that can create their own shot. We know Woody won’t be creating plays for them. 

Exactly why I didn't want to go this route for next season. Just like everyone said he needed to hit a home run in the 24 recruiting. Well we struck out.

Now we have to hit a HR in the portal. If we hit a single or double it's just not good enough. 

1 minute ago, ib4iu said:

Getting some bench depth is easier.

If (and that is still most certainly an 'if') we have three starters returning (Trey, Malik, and Mack) we will need two starters out of the portal, and one will have to be a true quality point guard; one who can create shots, cause mis-matches off of ball screens, and defend quicker point guards. That is a difficult proposition, but with our apparent NIL budget seems 'do-able.'

If we only have two or (lord help us) one starter returning? It's gonna suck real bad. It will likely be a lost season and a slide into the abyss, similar to Michigan this year.

One more thought, at the risk of saying something positive (*ducks):

This era has produced a high-level decommit recruit in late-spring three out of three years. Only one of them (Mgbkao) turned into a 30 mpg player his freshman year, but all three have been rotation players from the get-go. Based on that track record, it is reasonable to expect that we will have a freshman or two on the roster.

One more potential underrated positive thought (*ducks again): if he doesn't go portal-ing, a healthy Jakai Newton could be a truly  impactful player next season.

36 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

To me that team is slightly below what we had in 2022-2023. Not great, but definitely not awful either.

Without seeing a schedule, I'd guess 21 wins and a 6 seed in the NCAAT. With no foundation for the following year via 2024, we're right back where we started in 2025. 

The problem is that he absolutely needs to hit home runs this portal season to achieve what you've laid out. The margin for error is very small.

53 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Would you find rooting to lose, spreading false rumors, telling all the players to transfer, using social media to disparage the program openly and my other examples as not acceptable “fan” behavior? Do they have a right to be mad when false things are being stated about them?

As much as we disagree, no, we just disagree. I have seen nothing from you that makes me think you aren’t a true fan and you are not who is being referenced. 

As I said, call them out for what you consider unacceptable behavior.  Something like not everything on Trilly's discord is true, etc. etc.  When you stand up and basically say fans are true or not based on whether they agree 100% with what your doing is BS.  Mike's going to find out very quickly who the "true" fans are playing to an empty AH if is little poker game comes up short.