Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

20 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

I just can't get behind going after a 60+ year old coach at this point. MOST, of course not all proven P5 coaches are getting into that age range. If we bring in someone like that and we get going, it'll be over again before we know it because of their age. Then we are right back to square one. Imo, at some point we are gonna hafta roll the dice again to score a coach that can be our coach successfully for a couple decades. May not be a popular opinion but that's where I'm at. 

Pearl has more energy to him than Woodson does even if he is in his 60s. If he does what we think he did then he'd stabilize the program and get back to the tournament regularly and leave it more attractive to younger coaches when he retires.

After our last 25 years I'd rather have 7 or so of a guy that's won everywhere then risk a guy that could be here 30 or need fired in 3.

59 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That means nothing. Miller was “ya know” considered highly. He hadn’t proved much. Neither has May. 
Personally I’m skeptical of another role of the dice. If you don’t get that, oh well.

Oh, it means something. Either IU is mediocre as a program or May is good enough. Maybe both?

Since we may be a year or two away, I’m going to throw this name in to the fire from the kid.  He’s a Kelley so maybe he’s smart?   Worth a watch.  

Kim English, Providence.  

1 hour ago, IUHAHN81 said:

I just can't get behind going after a 60+ year old coach at this point. MOST, of course not all proven P5 coaches are getting into that age range. If we bring in someone like that and we get going, it'll be over again before we know it because of their age. Then we are right back to square one. Imo, at some point we are gonna hafta roll the dice again to score a coach that can be our coach successfully for a couple decades. May not be a popular opinion but that's where I'm at. 

We suck. We have an old, lazy and arrogant coach who thinks he's doing his job and is so full of himself that is disgusts the real "true fans". We need someone who can come in here and truly right the ship - not with "words", but with actual work. A guy like Pearl can give us 5-7 years of growth and positive progress so that when he is done, we have a program that quality guys are interested in taking over.

The other options are stick with Mediocre MIke for another season (or however many Buckner wants to foist on us) or get somebody who may well be the next Archie or Crean or Davis.

It's time to do something to fix this mess.

3 hours ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Someone better than I would know but I feel like I’ve heard that shrews would leave notre dame for us. We’re generally a better job and it’s probably easier to win here without some of the academic restrictions. I could very well be wrong though. 

His dad and Fred Glass are best friends or something like that is the connection.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That means nothing. Miller was “ya know” considered highly. He hadn’t proved much. Neither has May. 
Personally I’m skeptical of another role of the dice. If you don’t get that, oh well.

Miller coached at a school you could win at not FAU. That’s the difference. Dusty is not Archie. We’re about to see At Louisville 

Having watched IU all year and now watching Houston, the size of the canyon that is the difference between the 2 teams is so vast that it's embarrassing. None of their players have the look of "lacking confidence" on their faces and they're all nearly built like grown men. But hey, we grow basketball here?

3 hours ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Someone better than I would know but I feel like I’ve heard that shrews would leave notre dame for us. We’re generally a better job and it’s probably easier to win here without some of the academic restrictions. I could very well be wrong though. 

You’re spot on.

Now, Notre Dame has been known to be pretty flexible with its academic restrictions, as long as you play WR or are an edge rusher. Power forwards and shooting guards, not so much.

This has been really comical to me. The angst, the gnashing of teeth, the doomsday predictions. On top of that, the trashing of legendary IU basketball players who have done the work to actually accomplish something. Let's start with Quinn Buckner. He was the point guard on the last undefeated national championship team. Arguably the best college basketball team ever. Nothing but respect from me. I've seen shots taken at I. Thomas. One of the best point guards ever and the reason that '81 banner is hanging in Assembly Hall. Maybe CMW is not the guy who brings IU back to national prominence. But he was an outstanding player and he deserves respect for that. I truly don't understand the mentality of fans in the social media era. Admittedly, I'm one of the old guys. I go back to Branch McCracken. I've seen IU basketball at best and at its worst. If we ever want to right this ship, it needs to start with respecting those who built the legacy, not making fun of them. CBK was lightning in a bottle. We've been though several coaches since and none have measured up to our standards. Maybe the problem is us. Just my unsolicited opinion. Flame away, at this point I don't care.

5 minutes ago, cthomas said:

This has been really comical to me. The angst, the gnashing of teeth, the doomsday predictions. On top of that, the trashing of legendary IU basketball players who have done the work to actually accomplish something. Let's start with Quinn Buckner. He was the point guard on the last undefeated national championship team. Arguably the best college basketball team ever. Nothing but respect from me. I've seen shots taken at I. Thomas. One of the best point guards ever and the reason that '81 banner is hanging in Assembly Hall. Maybe CMW is not the guy who brings IU back to national prominence. But he was an outstanding player and he deserves respect for that. I truly don't understand the mentality of fans in the social media era. Admittedly, I'm one of the old guys. I go back to Branch McCracken. I've seen IU basketball at best and at its worst. If we ever want to right this ship, it needs to start with respecting those who built the legacy, not making fun of them. CBK was lightning in a bottle. We've been though several coaches since and none have measured up to our standards. Maybe the problem is us. Just my unsolicited opinion. Flame away, at this point I don't care.

I'd have a lot more respect if he gave the impression that he was pulling out all the stops to make this program elite again. Maybe he's a different guy behind the scenes, but I have little reason to believe that based on his comments and results. The NBA made him laid-back and lazy. He settles. Like a lot of people his age, he's in retirement mode. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah ok but you’re only looking at these players when they were players. Buckner is one of the worst head coaches percentage wise ever. Some say he’s not very good commentator with the Pacers. He’s lived off his name which is ok. 

Isiah was a horrible GM, President in the NBA, I think he ran the CBA into the ground. Also remember he coached at FAU which he didn’t have near the success as Dusty. 

We just need an administration to actually interview a few coaches to decide who the best candidates are and overpay for someone. 

But quit getting guys who think their great without proving they are before hand 

Agree somewhat. But Dusty hasn’t really proven anything and he seems to be the darling of the board.

One run in the tournament is not enough to make him the guy 

Just now, cbp4iu said:

Big Ten was not good this year… This tourney is showing how down it was. IU has major ground to make to catch up to get back to even like a 6 seed.

They just showed a stat — they are like 4-1 right now.  With Pac and ACC for the best three conferences in the tournament.