Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson

May’s still largely unproven, if he didn’t have IN ties he wouldn’t be much on the radar. Next move should be for as sure fire a guy as money can buy. “Jesus”

I don’t want May. I want Bruce. I was just saying my thoughts on how I feel when people seem to freak out after one loss. Really grinds my gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

So, let me hit you with this scenario. Not that this is the only possible scenario, but it a likely one and therefore the one I'm curious about:

1. IU has another year with Woody and it goes "okay."
    • Fifth in the B1G, a tournament 9 seed, and a first round loss.
  2. High school recruiting is still completely in the dumpster. 
  3. No dream list candidate is interested. As a point of comparison, let's use this year's version of guys that aren't leaving their current jobs: Stevens, Donovan, Wright, Drew, Pearl, Otzelberger, Oats, and Beard (a non-starter proposition). All are proven big winners with massive contracts, massive buyouts, and/or are happy with their current situation. And Collins doesn't really want to leave either, and if he did Boo Buie and Langborn ain't coming with.

Now, given that likely scenario (it's what UL and UM are looking at), what do you do?

1. Stay with Woody
  2. Go get a successful mid-major coach.

I mean, in that situation I’d go with #2. Or maybe Shrewsbury. I wouldn’t love it, but I’d at least have some hope that they’d be able to wield our NIL resources to create an above average program. 

My totally make believe in my head sources claim there was a meeting Wednesday via Zoom between Scott Dolson, Dusty May, Bruce Pearl, Steve Alford, and Brad Stevens to discuss IU’s next coach. Steven’s never dialed in.  Dolson apparently made it quick, and said Gentlemen, we need to make a change but before I go to the BoT, I want you each to know, it’s between you 3.  Since I can’t decide who to offer the job to, I’m going with whoever wins their first round NCAA tournament game by the largest margin.  Best of luck, I can’t wait to talk to the lucky winner….and with that the coaches all looked at each other and winked.  

Fire Mike Woodson

2 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Isn’t “Anything can happen in a single elimination tournament” logically a good reason to not judge a coach on single elimination tournament results? If a final four run can be chalked up to “anything can happen” so can a first round exit. Bill self has 2 first round exits and 7 (likely 8 tomorrow) 2nd round exits on his resume. Anything can happen. 

Absolutely! No one is going deep into the tournament every year. Upsets happen. Pearl lost today too. I’d be thrilled if we got him despite that because he has a 30 year resume. We know he’ll almost certainly be right back in it next year. We just don’t know with Dusty and I don’t like uncertainty. 

Unfortunately, it’s certain that Woody is our coach next year. I would much rather have May next year than him. At least May could work. 

My totally make believe in my head sources claim there was a meeting Wednesday via Zoom between Scott Dolson, Dusty May, Bruce Pearl, Steve Alford, and Brad Stevens to discuss IU’s next coach. Steven’s never dialed in.  Dolson apparently made it quick, and said Gentlemen, we need to make a change but before I go to the BoT, I want you each to know, it’s between you 3.  Since I can’t decide who to offer the job to, I’m going with whoever wins their first round NCAA tournament game by the largest margin.  Best of luck, I can’t wait to talk to the lucky winner….and with that the coaches all looked at each other and winked.  

Fire Mike Woodson

That would make more sense than what is actually happening here haha

Absolutely! No one is going deep into the tournament every year. Upsets happen. Pearl lost today too. I’d be thrilled if we got him despite that because he has a 30 year resume. We know he’ll almost certainly be right back in it next year. We just don’t know with Dusty and I don’t like uncertainty. 
Unfortunately, it’s certain that Woody is our coach next year. I would much rather have May next year than him. At least May could work. 

Exactly. RMK lost in the first round to a double digit seed 4 times in his career at IU. Were we happy, no. But that’s the name of the game in single elimination events

33 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

May’s still largely unproven, if he didn’t have IN ties he wouldn’t be much on the radar. Next move should be for as sure fire a guy as money can buy. “Jesus”

May is on the radar of how many schools? Ya know, the one that don’t care about “IN ties”?

May won more games in the NCAA last year than IU has in the last 9 years? Or is it 10?

7 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

May is on the radar of how many schools? Ya know, the one that don’t care about “IN ties”?

May won more games in the NCAA last year than IU has in the last 9 years? Or is it 10?

That means nothing. Miller was “ya know” considered highly. He hadn’t proved much. Neither has May. 
Personally I’m skeptical of another role of the dice. If you don’t get that, oh well.

35 minutes ago, cleeter said:

I don’t want May. I want Bruce. I was just saying my thoughts on how I feel when people seem to freak out after one loss. Really grinds my gears.

I can understand that. I’m more focused on getting someone more proven. Pearl’s a good coach but I don’t see IU hiring him ever, too much ncaa baggage, it is what it is

I can understand that. I’m more focused on getting someone more proven. Pearl’s a good coach but I don’t see IU hiring him ever, too much ncaa baggage, it is what it is

We just need an administration that isn’t “holier than thou” and cares about winning. Until we get that, we will have to deal with being mediocre unless we hit a home run in the mid major coaching circle

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

We just need an administration that isn’t “holier than thou” and cares about winning. Until we get that, we will have to deal with being mediocre unless we hit a home run in the mid major coaching circle

Being a glass half full guy, I’m just going to hope that the uproar and outspoken media disgust with what Woodson is doing to the program will get those who’ve been trying in the background to get the U back on track better positioning moving forward 

I just can't get behind going after a 60+ year old coach at this point. MOST, of course not all proven P5 coaches are getting into that age range. If we bring in someone like that and we get going, it'll be over again before we know it because of their age. Then we are right back to square one. Imo, at some point we are gonna hafta roll the dice again to score a coach that can be our coach successfully for a couple decades. May not be a popular opinion but that's where I'm at. 

2 hours ago, iubhounds2 said:

I don't understand why people think Shrews would leave ND after he gets them going, if he does next year. Would not only IU's history or is the B1G the attraction? I don't think Shrews would leave ND for IU anytime.

Football is king of the hill at ND and even Digger never was more than the second best athletic program on campus.  Even if Coach Cig is a miracle worker, basketball will always be the king at IU.

Being a glass half full guy, I’m just going to hope that the uproar and outspoken media disgust with what Woodson is doing to the program will get those who’ve been trying in the background to get the U back on track better positioning moving forward 

I sure hope so. I want to believe it so bad. But bringing him back this year, after hearing all this backlash, makes me wonder if it’ll ever happen. Might be too late after next year, if it goes how we all imagine it to go right now.

21 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I worry more about our administration baggage more than any ncaa baggage he may have. 

I just can't get behind going after a 60+ year old coach at this point. MOST, of course not all proven P5 coaches are getting into that age range. If we bring in someone like that and we get going, it'll be over again before we know it because of their age. Then we are right back to square one. Imo, at some point we are gonna hafta roll the dice again to score a coach that can be our coach successfully for a couple decades. May not be a popular opinion but that's where I'm at. 

But right now, we are a mediocre school. If you bring in Pearl and he does what we all assume he would, then we would be back to a blue blood top 25 school. That changes everything when transitioning to a new coach. Momentum.

Which would be more appealing for recruits and portal players?
A) Mediocre school w/ risky MM coach
B) Rolling top 25 w/ risky MM coach

Just now, cleeter said:

But right now, we are a mediocre school. If you bring in Pearl and he does what we all assume he would, then we would be back to a blue blood top 25 school. That changes everything when transitioning to a new coach. Momentum.

Which would be more appealing for recruits and portal players?
A) Mediocre school w/ risky MM coach
B) Rolling top 25 w/ risky MM coach

I can totally understand your point here. I get that for sure.