Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

Seen Kentucky fans arguing on Twitter about keeping Calipari or not. Some say anybody can win at Kentucky. Others point out Gillespie couldn't and reference the fact from 99-until 2011 they didn't make a final four....

A 12 year stretch? Practically double that and I wonder how they'd be feeling. I'm resigned to the fact he's getting another year but man the unserious nature of our program is deflating when you're watching March Madness without the Hoosiers mens team. Love rooting for our ladies though.

Since he's here I'm hoping we "hit a grand slam" (eye roll) in the portal and they surprise me next year. That said, fire / retire Mike Woodson. Good grief.

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Seen Kentucky fans arguing on Twitter about keeping Calipari or not. Some say anybody can win at Kentucky. Others point out Gillespie couldn't and reference the fact from 99-until 2011 they didn't make a final four....

A 12 year stretch? Practically double that and I wonder how they'd be feeling. I'm resigned to the fact he's getting another year but man the unserious nature of our program is deflating when you're watching March Madness without the Hoosiers mens team. Love rooting for our ladies though.

Since he's here I'm hoping we "hit a grand slam" (eye roll) in the portal and they surprise me next year. That said, fire / retire Mike Woodson. Good grief.

Give UK our last 25 years and those fans would burn the campus to the ground.

Short of a repeat of this year, or worse, Woodson will get more than one more year. They won't have the black eye of firing a program legend, no matter how lousy he is as a coach.

6 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

That is certainly a take. The problem isn’t us, we are the rubes who still spend outrageous amounts of money on a program that’s been mostly .500 in the B1G for half of my lifetime. If you’re saying the standards are too high, that’s almost something I can agree with. I’m not what I would consider old or young, but I’m nearly forty and I wasn’t alive when all those guys played for IU and hung banners. I know them in the abstract as legends, I know them in reality as failed NBA coaches or front office. Or in Isaiah’s case a guy who MJ disliked so much he wasn’t on the dream team which was coached by his former head coach. That kind of thing doesn’t happen in a vacuum either. People don’t get blind respect from me. Past actions do not allow for blanket support in the face of detrimental program decisions. And CMW and QB are clearly making decisions at the detriment of IU basketball— the program is more important to me than the feelings or status of people that played there in the past. And right now? Those two are bigger than the program. Decisions aren’t being made for winning basketball, they’re being made to allow for as another poster stated— a vanity project. And that deserves all the criticism they get. 

I guess fans are part of the problem. We're enablers.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson should be fired, he created this mess. He never even should've been considered much less hired, but he's safe because IU is more concerned with optics of looking mean or protecting him then doing what's right. Unless next season is a repeat of this one, or the bottom completely falls out, he won't be fired then either.

If IU was serious we'd be looking for a new coach right now. You damage a program by keeping bad coaches too long, and IU keeps doing exactly that.

Been saying this since January. We’re Indiana baby, it’s what we do. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson should be fired, he created this mess. He never even should've been considered much less hired, but he's safe because IU is more concerned with optics of looking mean or protecting him then doing what's right. Unless next season is a repeat of this one, or the bottom completely falls out, he won't be fired then either.

If IU was serious we'd be looking for a new coach right now. You damage a program by keeping bad coaches too long, and IU keeps doing exactly that.

I honestly don’t think that’s true. He’s already lost the fanbase, and it’s going to get really ugly next year if he doesn’t right the ship, which everyone knows he won’t.

12 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think if we’re in this position next season I would take a look at Bryce Drew. He recruited well at Vandy, plus has our NIL

People will laugh I am sure but he has excelled everywhere except Vandy. Maybe it was too early?  Maybe he could not get upper level recruits to play as hard as needed. Not sure but if you could augment any coaching weaknesses with a strong staff, his age and reputation in the state are probably strong advantages for him. 

12 hours ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Yes. Buckner was great in 1972-76. Woodson was pretty good in 1976-80. But neither of them have done anything worthy of respect relative to Indiana University and the IU men's basketball program since they left school. Buckner forced Woodson on this program as coach three years ago because Woodson's panties were in a wad when IU hired Archie Miller as coach. Miller was an up-and-coming mid-major coach who was hired over the absolutely unqualified Woodson. 

I've been watching IU basketball since 1973. I've seen the good and I've seen the bad. Where we are now is the worst that it has been. We're saddled with an unept, unqualified and lazy man in the coach's seat. For God's sake, he had to be told by Scott Dolson to go watch a top "recruit" play in his sectional game. He has ZERO recruits signed for 2024 and beyond.

I don't need to be told who I should respect. These two (Buckner and Woodson) are working hard to trash what little good will and legacy they have left with the shenanigans that are going on at Indiana today. Mike Woodson has not done his job despite what he will tell you. And Buckner is protecting and enabling him while causing the Indiana men's basketball program to spiral downwards and out of control.

You are entitled to your option, as am I. I just happen to not agree with your assessment.

I don’t think they are working hard to trash the program. In fact, had Woodson hit with DQ, LM and Boogie I think the board sentiment would be much different. But he did not hit. I think it just shows that the vision/expectations he had for recruiting missed in a big way and will probably sink him. But to suggest he is trying to sink it seems to be a stretch. 

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

People will laugh I am sure but he has excelled everywhere except Vandy. Maybe it was too early?  Maybe he could not get upper level recruits to play as hard as needed. Not sure but if you could augment any coaching weaknesses with a strong staff, his age and reputation in the state are probably strong advantages for him. 

Vanderbilt has many of the same academic restrictions that ND and some of the Ivies have. Not the easiest job to recruit SEC quality athletes to 

Just now, steubenhoosier said:

Vanderbilt has many of the same academic restrictions that ND and some of the Ivies have. Not the easiest job to recruit SEC quality athletes to 

But didn’t he recruit pretty well at Vandy?  I know he got one we were after and I thought he had a couple more in that class. 

11 hours ago, ronzo4IU said:

We should probably just hire James Madison coach and make it two from that university. I really like their style.

Could you imagine the JMU fan reactions if we did that?  Some were very salty about Cigs coming here which I kind of get but if they lost both to us they might invade. 

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Could you imagine the JMU fan reactions if we did that?  Some were very salty about Cigs coming here which I kind of get but if they lost both to us they might invade. 

That would be awesome!

I finally realized what Woodson actually meant when he said he was here to "compete for championships" - he meant make it into a tournament where "championships" are decided.  The 1st round of the NCAATand B10T is, to him, doing his job.  Now he and staff have "not too much" work to do to ensure they make it into the expanded B10 tournament next year.  Then he'll figure he's still performing satisfactorily.

If he meant actually seriously contending for champions, he's failed spectacularly.