Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

May's upside is a 25 year run. Can't get a higher upside than that.

Wasn't that Crean and Archie's upside too? Isn't that really the upside for any coach under the age of 50? 

I don't think many AD's have a 25 year plan in mind when evaluating potential candidates. 

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1image.jpeg

2) Arizona men’s basketball falls in double overtime to Florida Atlantic, first loss in Las Vegas under Tommy Lloyd.

3) FAU cashing in on Final Four run with new NIL collective. Amid FAU’s March Madness run, the Owls have gone from having no NIL collective -- a “rarity even for a mid-major program” -- to a collective that has “raised thousands,” according to Ross Dellenger of SI. In their first week of fundraising, Paradise Collective, run by Chuck Toman and Kevin Koscso have $65,000.

4)The Athletic
NCAAM

How Florida Atlantic kept its players on the team and out of the transfer portal

Don't bring facts to this discussion!  LOL

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

May would be better than bringing Woodson back, but I think it’s far more likely that we’d all be posting in a “Fire Dusty May” thread 3 years from now than it is that we’d be back where we want the IU program to be. Bruce Pearl would win immediately. This program needs someone who can win instantly. I have no interest in another rebuild. 

I’m definitely a Pearl fan. However, I’m not sure anyone is winning next year. It’s taken Pearl several years at every stop. To say he has to do it in year 1, would be unreasonable and if that’s the expectations, then we will have fire Pearl posts year 1. 

if Woodson is gone, then everyone needs to give that person 3 years to build. Not say for it to take 3 years to make the dance. I’m saying 3 years is enough time to show that we aren’t going to be Portal reliant, high school recruiting has picked up, and there is a clear vision and style of play that is modern 

3 minutes ago, SamIam said:

*sigh* time to go to bat for Dusty I guess. Again I get some of these points, but some just don't make sense. 

"Who has he recruited?"

- Do we actually think that with a bigger recruiting apparatus, more NIL, a bigger assistant base, etc. he wouldn't be recruiting at a high level? None of our coaches have ever had issues with that. They've has issues with coaching and system. He's got a better team than us right now, with no talent

"Has he used NIL?"

- Sure, he's coaching in the NIL era. It's more impressive to see what he has done while being at a small fish in the NIL game. Here, he would never be outbid on NIL. 

"May's expectations will be too high"

- Pearl's expectations for immediate results will be much much higher, and expectations will be high no matter what. Dusty is not the kind of person to cave under pressure, he has already coached under the biggest lights in CBB.

"Collins should be higher than May."

- Come on. He was on the hot seat until last year. His teams were trending down until he hired Lowery as an Asst. The people who throw out Collins clearly are capable of crediting people who have success at bad programs, but don't want to give May credit. 

"May's leash will be shorter with fans"

- No shot. This board underestimates the amount of people who are uncomfortable with Pearl, for better or for worse. Pearl's expectation will be immediate wins, May will be given time as he is 47. Plus, May is a native son. 

May would be a disappointment? If literally the hottest name on the market is a disappointment then the naysayers are right, we will never be satisfied with anyone

Again, I just don't get the animosity here. I get some people want someone else. But by no means would DM be a bad hire. 

I don't think anyone would think it would be a bad hire, just a risky one. Many would like to see us not go the route of hiring someone who isn't just on a heater and would rather see a proven P5 coach (Pearl). 

4 minutes ago, SamIam said:

*sigh* time to go to bat for Dusty I guess. Again I get some of these points, but some just don't make sense. 

"Who has he recruited?"

- Do we actually think that with a bigger recruiting apparatus, more NIL, a bigger assistant base, etc. he wouldn't be recruiting at a high level? None of our coaches have ever had issues with that. They've has issues with coaching and system. He's got a better team than us right now, with no talent

"Has he used NIL?"

- Sure, he's coaching in the NIL era. It's more impressive to see what he has done while being at a small fish in the NIL game. Here, he would never be outbid on NIL. 

"May's expectations will be too high"

- Pearl's expectations for immediate results will be much much higher, and expectations will be high no matter what. Dusty is not the kind of person to cave under pressure, he has already coached under the biggest lights in CBB.

"Collins should be higher than May."

- Come on. He was on the hot seat until last year. His teams were trending down until he hired Lowery as an Asst. The people who throw out Collins clearly are capable of crediting people who have success at bad programs, but don't want to give May credit. 

"May's leash will be shorter with fans"

- No shot. This board underestimates the amount of people who are uncomfortable with Pearl, for better or for worse. Pearl's expectation will be immediate wins, May will be given time as he is 47. Plus, May is a native son. 

May would be a disappointment? If literally the hottest name on the market is a disappointment then the naysayers are right, we will never be satisfied with anyone

Again, I just don't get the animosity here. I get some people want someone else. But by no means would DM be a bad hire. 

There's only one 47 year old we should consider if interested (highly unlikely).  He's not named Dusty.

Just now, mdiu28 said:

I don't think anyone would think it would be a bad hire, just a risky one. Many would like to see us not go the route of hiring someone who isn't just on a heater and would rather see a proven P5 coach (Pearl). 

That's a justifiable position, although I disagree. But look at the comments above, plenty of people saying they would be disappointed 

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Wasn't that Crean and Archie's upside too? Isn't that really the upside for any coach under the age of 50? 

I don't think many AD's have a 25 year plan in mind when evaluating potential candidates. 

I honestly believe if Archie had NIL, he would've been more successful here. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Does anyone know what is going on today? I actually think today is the day we might get over some kind of hump. I've only been up for 4 hours and it's already been a heck of a ride. We have Kathy, an older poster showed back up, IU plays tonight. Something is in the air

Didn't you say yesterday was taco tuesday? lol

7 minutes ago, IU1988girl said:

Longtime lurker here.  Just a fan.  No insider info from me.  I'll just pipe in that I loved Woodson as a player but have been disappointed with his coaching.  I would certainly like a change in coaches especially after reading on here that he doesn't really have the desire to hit the HS recruiting trail.  Not a way to turn a program around.  Anyway, I just wanted to post and thank those of you in this thread who have shared info with us less connected folks.

BTW, I copied the post above because my eye caught a BOT name, Donna Spears.  I totally forgot she was on the board.  She sold us a house once in Richmond and her mother-in-law was our neighbor for many years.  Beautiful person.  Anyway, maybe I should go drop in on Donna and get the scoop.  She does like to talk, in a good way!!

Again, thanks for all the info.  Keep it coming!!

GREAT first post!

Welcome aboard, and keep those posts coming!

That's a justifiable position, although I disagree. But look at the comments above, plenty of people saying they would be disappointed 
Honestly most all hires are risky unless you are hiring a top 10 coach like bill self.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

Disappointed, sure. By if history is any sort of an indication, our admin can do a hell of a lot worse. 

7 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

This is where I am.

As exciting and intriguing the Bruce Pearl possibility is, Dusty just makes more sense to me.

I feel like Dusty May would lock up Sisley and Mullins before the leaves start changing colors this fall.

Plus I thought I saw somewhere that May had just started recruiting Mullins. Already trying to build that connection, and it’s not like he has to spill the beans to Mullins that’s he’s gonna be the next IU coach just to make that good coach/player chemistry. So if he DOES end up at IU and Mullins likes him and likes IU, then bam, there’s already a thing there. 

8 minutes ago, IU1988girl said:

Longtime lurker here.  Just a fan.  No insider info from me.  I'll just pipe in that I loved Woodson as a player but have been disappointed with his coaching.  I would certainly like a change in coaches especially after reading on here that he doesn't really have the desire to hit the HS recruiting trail.  Not a way to turn a program around.  Anyway, I just wanted to post and thank those of you in this thread who have shared info with us less connected folks.

BTW, I copied the post above because my eye caught a BOT name, Donna Spears.  I totally forgot she was on the board.  She sold us a house once in Richmond and her mother-in-law was our neighbor for many years.  Beautiful person.  Anyway, maybe I should go drop in on Donna and get the scoop.  She does like to talk, in a good way!!

Again, thanks for all the info.  Keep it coming!!

Thank you for posting. As I said earlier with my girl Kathy please continue to post. We need more women, you make us guys smarter. 

Plus if you respond to this you will get that Purdue jockstrap off your name sooner

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

OK since @AZ Hoosier is firing me. I'm going to say this since it's been a good day so far and we have a game tonight.

From what I'm hearing I don't think QB is going to block Dolson from making a move after the season. He might not agree with it but he won't stop it from happening.

That is the good news. The bad news as of today is I would slowly start bracing ourselves that Bruce Pearl might not be the next coach. I'm not sure Dolson can get enough support for it. 

I think IU has a case of FOMO. If I were to guess today and this could change later today or this week I would say Dusty May would be the next coach. 

This is like telling me you're taking me out to a steak dinner and then when the time comes you take me to sushi. In the moment, I'd probably take the steak. But damn I love sushi. So many different ways it can be great, even though there is a chance it can be awful. So let's have some sushi!

59 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I think Woody’s status as a former star player entitled him to better treatment than most others, at least in the eyes of some observers.

Certainly.  I’m just not sure giving him a purportedly serious interview with no intent to hire him constitutes “better treatment,” but I can see where some people would disagree with that.

My favorite narrative is nobody's wants the iu job. You can't fire guys every three years cause nobody will come. Yet it seems pearl would.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

If you have any competitive fire or “dog” in you, you’d die for this job. Imagine being the person that “brings Indiana University” back to greatness”. Statues will be built. If you don’t want the heat that comes with that, then don’t come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk