Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

With the exception of auburn, Pearl has succeeded immediately at his other three jobs. 

USI - 22-7, 14-4 in conference

Milwaukee - 16.13, but 11-5 in conference

Tennessee - 22-8, 12-4 in conference, round of 32

With the transfer portal, NIL, and the Big Ten being pretty crappy overall , I think we could reasonably expect a season like his first season at Tennessee. And then in year twos he really takes off. 

Maybe. I’m just not banking on it. Now if he keeps 4-5 players on the current roster and adds 4-5 portal guys and maybe 1-2 high school kids the pop up from the coaching carousel. But he will need to hit it out of the park imo. I think that’s hitting it out of the park and he would be successful with that. But if May did that he would also be successful. 

5 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Meh... taking FAU from where they were to how they're performing now, is not what I'd consider a "slow build" even over 5 years. If we bring May in, he will presumably need more time to get things rolling than Pearl, but I think we'd see plenty of progress much sooner than that. Yes pressure would be higher here but that's where his familiarity with IU could serve him well... plus he's a competitor, pressure is part of the business. Hopefully that's part of their "standard" assessment in the interview process (as if IU is that organized...). He will also have oodles more cash at his disposal plus a way bigger brand. If we hire May I will be elated that we're moving on, fairly disappointed it's not Pearl, but not very upset that Dusty ended up being the guy. Basically... I still want and feel like Pearl should be the priority target but I am happy with both options.

No matter how you see it, for the most part except for literally 3 people, it seems everyone can agree either would be preferable to a 4th year of the status quo

That largely depends on who he'd be able to bring from FAU and who he can convince to stay. If he's trying to fill 8-9 scholarships in year 1 it's not going to be a fun year. 

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Shaka is the only one comparable to Dusty. John Groce's resume was putrid and Lickliter carried on what was already built at Butler.

And Shaka didn't meet expectations at Texas, but has it ROLLING at another high profile basketball school. 

But Groce wife was hot at IU and threw some of the best parties in the mid 90's. She lived with two girls from my high school. Their still married today

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's 7ft and crazy mobile. He can hang. 

He doesn't have a shot outside 7-8 feet and isn't a rim protector. That's no bueno in the NBA for someone 7'1.

5 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I suppose it’s about time for me to get involved. Chris and Kathy have carried a lot of weight based on my skimming of the last 30 pages. :) Kathy, welcome, PM me if you’re interested in comparing sources and info privately. 

Couple nuggets:

1) We (as a board) are a little out in front of this one, things are happening, but aren’t as developed as the tea leaves trying to be read. 
2) There’s a meeting happening next Tuesday that will likely via leaks/smoke shed some light on the administration’s focus. 
3) Yes, the admins all have aides/hands that can get stuff out to support their efforts, but keep in mind some of the reporters and writer’s are just trying to be first to scoop the story and know they can always walk it back as “things changed” when they’re wrong. Currently this is happening, as they’re ahead of any real story or discussions. 
4) Worth noting that Buckner was a strong supporter of Chris Reynolds for the AD spot. Take that for what you will. 
5) Don’t be surprised if Pearl is the Brad Stevens of this cycle should we get to that point. 

That’s all for now. Chris PM me if you wanna confirm something I’ve heard that’s very non-public right now. 

"2) There’s a meeting happening next Tuesday that will likely via leaks/smoke shed some light on the administration’s focus."

Focus as in retaining or letting go or focus as in which direction to pursue a replacement?

Maybe getting rid of Woodson and getting May would make it to where we wouldn’t need a bunch of portal guys and a brand new roster. If it’s true that there’d be guys who want to leave if Woodson comes back, Dusty May could be a guy to get McNeeley to stay on board, bring a couple guys with him from FAU, and keep a few key guys from the roster we have now. 

17 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Woodson doesn't get emails, you have to hand deliver them to him, remember?

Via Pony Express, otherwise he won't accept them. Even then he would probably be upset that you wanted to communicate with Mike Woodson but didn't come to Mike Woodson.

35 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I don’t. But I know people who like to compare him coming here to Archie and I don’t think that’s fair. Just saying people shouldnt base Archie’s failure here to whether or not Dusty does. 

That’s because the entire fanbase got totally letdown by Archie Miller and that is why many of are onboard with a proven P5 coach like Bruce Pearl!

1 minute ago, DoctorP said:

BP has always kind of felt like BS…and BD

I know who BP is and I can assume what BS is because most of deal with that everyday but what the heck is BD?  My brain is fried today from work and I can’t figure out what that is.  Also, while you are at it, can you post an abbreviation log for the learning impaired?

Just now, IUFAN1976 said:

I know who BP is and I can assume what BS is because most of deal with that everyday but what the heck is BD?  My brain is fried today from work and I can’t figure out what that is.  Also, while you are at it, can you post an abbreviation log for the learning impaired?

Billy Donovan 

19 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

All very true, but again it's going to be a part of the job he hasn't yet experieced.

How's he going to manage ego's of 4 and 5* players?

Does he sit a 5* freshman on a near 7 figure deal over an upperclassmen?

Can he get a bunch of highly touted kids to play in his system right away?

These are all legitimate concerns and issues May has yet to face. It's a huge reason why Archie failed.

But we know Woodson can't handle it