Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Once again, it was someone else who trashed the program. You need to listen to the podcast.

I listened to all 1:22:00 of it. That’s THEIR account of what happened with Evans. They “conveniently” left out all the times they trashed Woodson on their podcast back in February and all the different times Eric trashed Woodson on Peegs chat, many comments that were directly relayed and posted on Trilly’s discord. If you want to believe this entire decision was made because they had Brian Evans in their show, go for it. I’ll continue to call you naive.

If you’re going to run a business built on promoting Indiana basketball with the privilege of having access to the program, players, staff, and future recruits…it’s wise to pick and choose who and what is said on your podcast. Simple Business 101, it ain’t that hard.

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Perhaps the rumors that Dolson was setting up to replace Woodson were true and that the Simon-Skojdts & Buckner essentially neutered him.

I'd like to believe that, but if I'm understanding the posted summary correctly and Scott Dolson was actually with CMW during the meeting with Eric, where he summoned the guy to Bloomington from LA to basically verbally lambast him... there is no way he could be forced to sit through that IMO. If he so badly wanted to replace Woody, I don't think Buckner or any donors could have made him be in the room for that. Only way I can interpret that is Scott was co-signing everything CMW had to say and is fully supporting the HC. 

Few things… Hysterics often go over the top and can be cheesier than ripe Roquefort, often to the point of annoyance, BUT their interest in supporting and commitment to IU athletics, and basketball specifically, as fans can’t be denied. In addition, they have put tremendous time and energy into capturing a pretty incredible oral archive of IU basketball history - many generations worth - something I’m pretty certain even the deepest program insiders on here have learned from, and even if many won’t admit, have greatly appreciated (even those who feel they have to proclaim ‘I don’t listen’). YES,  in addition to being super cheesy, they can be self promoting…but, they’re in the entertainment biz…and promoting a product, that ultimately promotes IU athletics - and often in the vein of raising NIL…which guess what, is critical to program success. In general, their goofiness has created an environment that has lent itself to willing participation from key people in IU athletic, especially basketball but not only, history past, present and future!

Their criticism of Woody and program decisions, as well as that of some of their guests, added to their credibility…sharing the frustrations many/most of us have felt about  coaching decisions. This is the Fire Mike Woodson forum F F s!!

Woody was certainly in his right to cut off access, but the petty way he handled it…in particular to guys who although out of bounds sometimes…supported NiL efforts, fan engagement, and HIRED his kids…speaks more to him, his thin skin and his way over inflated self aggrandizement—than it does to the merits of the Hysteric guys. A leader in a position at that level should not only expect criticism, but be able to manage it much more professionally. Sadly, that’s not Woody. This team needs to win!!

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Remember this happens everywhere Woodson goes. This is from Atlanta 

013289FE-5A12-4C0B-8794-A52251405573.jpeg

This is pretty telling. It’s just plain stupid, petty and insecure behavior.
Oh well, I’m looking forward to watching the team win this season and forgetting about this thread for, hopefully, most of the season and tournaments 

This sucks y’all. I listened to Antwright’s spaces and the same burner accounts that populate Twitter were on there defending Woodson ad nauseum.  

I have always thought Woodson has done enough to get this 4th year regardless of the heat.  I mean, I don’t personally trust him and I hope his war chest is enough to have a winner.  If we tanked all last season and the players didn’t like him but none of that happened. I thought they rallied enough run it back in a vacuum.   

My bigger thing is where is this all heading anyway?  Woodson has 3 years left at most in my mind, and when you lose half the fanbase is it all worth it?   

14 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Their criticism of Woody and program decisions, as well as that of some of their guests, added to their credibility…sharing the frustrations many/most of us have felt about  coaching decisions. This is the Fire Mike Woodson forum F F s!!

Woody was certainly in his right to cut off access, but the petty way he handled it…in particular to guys who although out of bounds sometimes…supported NiL efforts, fan engagement, and HIRED his kids…speaks more to him, his thin skin and his way over inflated self aggrandizement—than it does to the merits of the Hysteric guys. A leader in a position at that level should not only expect criticism, but be able to manage it much more professionally. Sadly, that’s not Woody. This team needs to win!!

This is a great post, and you said exactly what I was thinking in the bolded parts.

As these collectives become more cemented fixtures around the program/donor community, there is the potential for them to serve a useful, functional purpose as being the de facto "voice of the fans." They're positioned to have actual influence around programs that extends beyond a particular coaching staff, which is WAY different than the traditional media needing to be in the good graces of the current staff to get scoops, exclusives, etc. I don't think its fair to make that comparison or say that Woodson is necessarily the "hand" that was feeding the Hysterics. There are legitimate reasons to stop doing business with collectives, but is having a candid conversation about the state of the program one of them? Hard to view it as anything other than pettiness stemming from insecurity. 

Yes they have been annoying. By all other metrics, most of which you already covered, they have been a net positive for the program. The HC getting his feelings hurt and being allowed to run them off - to the long term detriment of the program - is just a real shame. I do not have confidence in this staff's ability to lead a locker room to success on the court or help them grow from boys to men. 

It’s been a while since I’ve been here, summer basketball is no joke folks. Nonetheless, thought I would share my thoughts on the news today as you all know I’ve been Anti-Mike Woodson since Archie was dismissed. 

First off, like most of you, I do agree HH are some dorks, but they do a lot of good for a lot of programs at Indiana. I’ve met them, they are friendly and are more passionate than your typical Indiana fan. 

On to Woodson, none of this is surprising. This 100% sounds like Mike Woodson behavior. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, this sounds like A LOT of P4 head coaches throughout America. Frankly, I think it’s the reason why Woodson hasn’t landed an NBA job (HC) and was out of the league a few years ago. It’s because he’s stubborn. 

Does this change his future? No. Am I surprised Dolson didn’t say a word throughout all of this? No. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dolson didn’t have a single clue as to why they were meeting with Eric in the first place. 

Woodson is a stubborn head coach. He’s sold on his ways and does not like when people veer to the left too much. He will have to prove this season that he’s a good coach as this current roster construction is worthy of a Sweet 16 at minimum (credit to the staff and boosters). I’m going to give Woodson this year to really show he’s worth his salary, but frankly I see this program coming up short once again. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Bozich misses the point by a mile. HH are more than entitled to have a podcast to talk and discuss anything they want. But they shouldn’t be surprised that their access was revoked after trashing a sitting head coach all while maintaining their goal is to promote the program. Cannot have it both ways. 

I haven't finished the podcast yet, but so far, my take is that yeah, they're disappointed that they lost access, but they also are upset that the fan events that they sponsored were flat out cancelled. That impacts the fans and that impacts the players NIL payments. Woodson can shut them out - it's his prerogative. I guess since he's running with the billionaire donors these days, he won't miss a few measly dollars from a fan fest and NIL fundraiser.

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would have respected him more if he would have just not said anything to them. Then when they called for something say sorry the program is no longer working with you two guys. But to make Eric fly from LA to Bloomington to do this is so childish and thin skinned. He is a sad little man.

Well remember Mike Woodson doesn't fly to you.  If you wanna meet with Mike Woodson you gotta fly out to Mike Woodson.

It's really what he told Dolson right before he was hired.  Should've been a sign.

I’m always inclined to believe none of what I hear and half of what I see, so I don’t really see any reason to take anything. Eric said about their conversation at face value,  or even how it came about for that matter.

34 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said:

I’m always inclined to believe none of what I hear and half of what I see, so I don’t really see any reason to take anything. Eric said about their conversation at face value,  or even how it came about for that matter.

So, which part is he making up, for what reason? How’s their history with transparency…or lack thereof? How about Woody’s?

Besides what I have already said, my policy is side with no one in this situation. The Hysterics are arrogant and have cut off many people who don't tote their water much like Woody did to them.  

Both Woodson and the Hysterics have massive egos and it was bound to end with hurt feelings. In the end the Hysterics get cut off from the program which is sorely needed and Woodson better win big this year.

Woodson can think he has support of everyone and if he wins he can do what he chooses. If not, the people who he thinks are his friends will turn on him one by one as well and no one is invincible no matter what Woodson thinks and he will be shown the door.

No winners here and we have two people (Eric and Woody) cut from the same cloth who are thin skinned and eventually these personalities eat each other up as happened here. The Hysterics airing this dirty laundry in public confirms they have as big an ego as Woody.

If the Hysterics did not have an ego they would keep the meeting in house and not vent publicly. If Woody did not have such an ego he would not have called the meeting and chewed them out. Both are wrong in this sense.