Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Kinda ironic. 

For years, many IU officials lamented that a basketball coach became, essentially, bigger than the university. 

So they've spent the better part of this century trying to make sure that doesn't happen again. 

Now, they have a coach who seems to want to assume that mantle -- and it's a "disciple" of the last such coach.

And it seems nobody has the cajones to put a stop to it. 

...and they just continue to mismanage every situation. That seems to be the one constant. 

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Kinda ironic. 

For years and years, many IU officials lamented that a basketball coach became, essentially, bigger than the university. 

So they've spent the better part of this century trying to make sure that doesn't happen again. 

Now, they have a coach who seems to want to assume that mantle -- and it's a "disciple" of the last such coach.

And it appears nobody has the cajones to put a stop to it. 

Well, Woodson does have a former All-American IU point guard (who also happened to be a pretty lousy coach) running point for him...

Really bleak sort of circumstances after listening to their podcast. They raise a good point about Woody’s billionaire buddies. Now that he has a couple guys bankrolling things, he can completely drop the mask and quit pretending to give a crap about the fanbase. I have no idea how he survived as the head coach of the New York Knicks (well, he didn’t really. He lasted 2.5 seasons).

Just an incredibly small, petty man. 

Just saw the post count go up and stopped by to see what the blow-up was.

I mean, it's not anything that surprised me.  It's exactly what Woodson's personality says he would do and it sounds par for the course for HH to suck in general as well.

Just looking forward to actual games being played, although I think every loss will just build this thread and infiltrate game threads as well.  My take at this point is that Woodson's three years in terms of winning have had okay -- not good, but okay -- results.  10-10 in conference last year wasn't bad, the non-conference results weren't not good.  And I think he would have been given more of a pass for missing the tournament if he just wasn't such a spiteful guy.  

HH puts out an often self-centered product and given the circumstances, they weren't going to keep the access they had.

But overall, I do like the roster for next year and while you can say it's all about the NIL, there are a lot of schools with NIL that weren't able to bring in the guys they wanted and others spending $2 million on a single player because they whiffed on so many.  But because Woodson's behavior has been so abrasive, the measuring stick for a good majority of fans in terms of wins and losses is going to be such that it will be hard to achieve.

Lol Woodson better be ready for this season! I can't imagine the heat he will take if this goes south! I hope I am wrong but I think Woodson sucks and this team will struggle because of that. Hopefully I am singing his praises after a successful season. Will be interesting for sure

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

For me it was.   Only 2 of those 10 wins were against tourney quality teams and those were both at home.   Wisky struggled down the stretch and ended up losing in the first round and Sparty struggled to earn a 9 seed.  

Let me clarify by saying 10-10 with the way the roster was constructed wasn't bad.  Even with a healthy X it was a subpar backcourt -- without him, it was the worst in the Big Ten.  Combine that with the fact that Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware were really full time starters for the first time and it didn't bode well.

So my point was just that 10-10 given the poor roster construction was okay.  The problem, though, is that was the roster that Woodson constructed and had no one but himself to blame.

41 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Lol Woodson better be ready for this season! I can't imagine the heat he will take if this goes south! I hope I am wrong but I think Woodson sucks and this team will struggle because of that. Hopefully I am singing his praises after a successful season. Will be interesting for sure

Get ready for the excuses when they under achieve.

5 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

The fact that he refused to deliver the news via phone was juvenile but it’s like the 9th most childish thing he did that was revealed in that podcast. Whether they flew in specifically for this or not, who cares? The fact is he’s an egomaniac moron with the self awareness of a child. He has way more important things to do than to seek revenge against a podcaster for calling him stubborn.  And setting all that aside, strategically it makes no sense for him to do this. Yet he did it any way because he’s both too stupid and too self absorbed to resist. 

Mike Woodson is a loser. Period. 

What’s wrong with waiting to talk face-to-face if Eric was coming to Bloomington anyways?  

You say things have been “revealed” in the podcast…when maybe nothing was “revealed” in the podcast except for conjecture and bitterness and swaying the truth for his sounding board. (lol)  That does exist a lot in our modern society you know via new age communication…text and emails and social media  blah blah blah.

40 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Get ready for the excuses when they under achieve.

But what does that mean? For the amount of money spent and what our roster looks like we should easily get 25+ wins but could easily see 20 and saying that is an improvement 

What it all means regardless, (barring criminal activity) there are some people in circumstances that good or bad receive direct deposit multi million $$$ to their bank account.

8 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

But what does that mean? For the amount of money spent and what our roster looks like we should easily get 25+ wins but could easily see 20 and saying that is an improvement 

Anything less than 25, top 2 or 3 in the B10, final 4 in the B10 tournament and 2nd weekend into the big dance is under achievement, IMO!

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Anything less than 25, top 2 or 3 in the B10, final 4 in the B10 tournament and 2nd weekend into the big dance is under achievement, IMO!

Generally agree, though if we overachieve in three of those categories I would be just fine with underachieving in the fourth.

9 hours ago, coonhounds said:

You said it perfectly!!!!  Woodson does suck!!!  The heat is on!

10 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

For me it was.   Only 2 of those 10 wins were against tourney quality teams and those were both at home.   Wisky struggled down the stretch and ended up losing in the first round and Sparty struggled to earn a 9 seed.  

But Woodson did his job and the year was a good year.  Yes 10-10 sucked and not making the tournament sucked and everything points to our sucking coach, but he used every excuse in the book and got extremely defensive when the heat was turned up!

FIRE MIKE WOODSON!!!!

13 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Kinda ironic. 

For years and years, many IU officials lamented that a basketball coach became, essentially, bigger than the university. 

And it appears nobody has the cajones to put a stop to it. 

Kind of like we came full circle but with a much worse coach!  BK was tolerated for the most part because he won. If MW doesn’t do that soon, the outcome will be different, they will most likely run him out of town eventually, but it’ll take someone with some big cajones to do that when he’s got QB and two billionaire families in his back pocket 

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Without serious changes to his system, 25 is the ceiling. I’m amazed sometimes that people refuse to simply believe their eyeballs and Mike Woodson’s words. He is not changing. We will see 20+ minutes a game with Ballo and Malik on the floor together standing on either block. If he didn’t stretch out the offense with KW he certainly isn’t doing it with Malik. Maybe the guard play will be so improved that the offense evolves naturally, but again, I put more credence on Mike Woodsons words. It’s not his job to get people shots. His defense is antiquated and confusing. I hope I’m wrong, but I am fairly certain we are going to see some head scratching losses and an early exit from the tourney. This job is a hobby for Mike Woodson, and he’s apparently got all the top cover he needs to keep it. It’s a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is.