Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

10 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You do know that woody’s plan wasn’t to have zero recruits and go only with only transfer portal?

why should we believe he can execute an plan B when he couldn’t execute plan A?

I wouldn’t expect it. 

I want whoever is the IU coach to get the program back as soon as possible. I want them to use every legal tactic allowed to get this done.

I don’t care if it’s a team of one year rentals or 4 year developmental guys.

My argument here isn’t that Woodson is going to be the answer. My argument is that traditional recruiting a kid and watching him develop over 4-5 years is a thing of the past.

Use the portal and NIL to bring in the best team possible next year. If there are current players who decide to stay, that’s the base. Go from there and let it rip

5 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

And remember, Smith played with a fellow Freshman in the backcourt. The emphasis on Purdue's "talent" is overrated. He ran point on a B1G champion in an all-Frosh backcourt. 

Smith was good last year, and it wasn't just based on Purdue's talent. And Cupps is running a team with 3 Five-Star players. I think IU has plenty of talent. Now coaching? That's another story.

Painter has a system and he recruits to it.  He is like Bo Ryan now.  Doesn’t really care about rankings.  It has made him really successful.  Doesn’t matter if it’s a frosh or whatever he just wins. 

26 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

If he doesn’t have an agent I assume he cannot or should not take calls for openings during the season.  But I have noticed FAU is an Adidas school. Would that be a route to ask if he has interest?  

I don’t think the question is whether May has interest in the IU job, it’s whether he also has interest in other jobs like Ohio State.

If the answer is yes, I think you can probably say goodbye to May as far as IU is concerned. I don’t believe he’s going to leave OSU (or Michigan or Louisville) for IU, Alma mater or not. If Woodson’s retained we better hope May stays at FAU.

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

I wouldn’t expect it. 

I want whoever is the IU coach to get the program back as soon as possible. I want them to use every legal tactic allowed to get this done.

I don’t care if it’s a team of one year rentals or 4 year developmental guys.

My argument here isn’t that Woodson is going to be the answer. My argument is that traditional recruiting a kid and watching him develop over 4-5 years is a thing of the past.

Use the portal and NIL to bring in the best team possible next year. If there are current players who decide to stay, that’s the base. Go from there and let it rip

Purdue says, "Hi."

They used the portal to fill in a position of need on a very good team full of players who fit their system and that Painter has developed. 

I don't think their consecutive B1G championships and top five ranking indicates that their system is a "thing of the past." 

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

How do we achieve the turnaround that we want?

1. Fire Woodson and replace him with a real coach with a plan
  2. Given the recruiting bounty that Woodson has coming in, the new guy would have to build from whatever parts he could manage (including from your post, Pearl or Dusty and some of their guys).
  3. Understand that because Woodson whiffed on recruiting, we are in rebuilding mode.

The end result of that is that we may have a down season or two, but that there is a plan to rebuild the legacy of the Indiana basketball program, with a coach who has that plan. 

If we bring Woodson back next season with his freshly hatched bullshite, we will waste a year and then have to find a coach and start the rebuild... either way, we're rebuilding... but one way it starts now and the other, we let Mediocre Mike drive the program into the ground one more time.

I am not advocating that Woodson is the guy to coach next year.

I am not sure that many people would be willing to accept “a down year or two.”

I am suggesting that using the portal to immediately make improvements would be more palatable to the majority of IU fans.

Get someone here who can coach guys up immediately and use the portal to build a competitive team now. Use that tactic while the recruiting of high school guys gets established.

Experience enough success in the short term to keep the pressure off until the proper way to build the program is established 

6 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

Purdue says, "Hi."

They used the portal to fill in a position of need on a very good team full of players who fit their system and that Painter has developed. 

I don't think their consecutive B1G championships and top five ranking indicates that their system is a "thing of the past." 

Do you really want to be Purdue?

That Helms banner does annoy me every time I see it and how they push it in my face 

2 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

I am not advocating that Woodson is the guy to coach next year.

I am not sure that many people would be willing to accept “a down year or two.”

I am suggesting that using the portal to immediately make improvements would be more palatable to the majority of IU fans.

Get someone here who can coach guys up immediately and use the portal to build a competitive team now. Use that tactic while the recruiting of high school guys gets established.

Experience enough success in the short term to keep the pressure off until the proper way to build the program is established 

Indiana basketball has been down for the better part of 25 years now... I'd take another down year with the right guy in whom I have reasonable confidence that he can fix this mess... 

And again, my issue with the Woodson's "portal plan" (or portal dream) is NOT the use of the portal, but the absolute reliance on it. Just do the work recruiting and then fill your gaps with the portal... but Woodson cannot be bothered to make the connections with players, coaches and families, so in his infinite wisdom will have to rely on renting a team for next year... and to be completely honest about it, I don't think that he can even get the pieces that he needs and then fashion them into anything resembling a cohesive team anyway...

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

It only took 3 years and a total collapse. Plus he was a competitive player (ignore that that didn't work so well for him in the NBA). We're totally saved.

Plus Armond Hill should wake up from his season long nap (coma?) any day now, his 72-141 record with 0 winning seasons should provide some valuable insight.

Yep, everything is fine and totally not at all a dumpster fire.

It's actually hilarious that Hills last season at Columbia is also their worst season in program history.

8 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

That Helms banner does annoy me every time I see it and how they push it in my face 

Purdue is having the greatest moment in their entire history for the last 7 years. Think about it, this is it for them. It will never get better than being a 1 seed getting beat by a 16 in the first round. Oh….they had an elite 8 in there a couple sweet 16s, but it’s Purdue. Good for them. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That is a point that continues to be quite interesting.  Dolson hasn't acknowledged it in any way to either say it's accurate or some malarky that it was from an unauthorized source although if he says the latter, Osterman looks like a complete a$$.  At the very least, one would have expected some kind of follow-up authored by Dolson.  Also a little odd that Osterman, Rabby, etc,, haven't seem to pressure Dolson for statements they can quote.

I feel like the little girl in Miracle on 34th Street repeating "I want to believe."  "I want to believe."

The source was Dolson that’s why. 

55 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That is a point that continues to be quite interesting.  Dolson hasn't acknowledged it in any way to either say it's accurate or some malarky that it was from an unauthorized source although if he says the latter, Osterman looks like a complete a$$.  At the very least, one would have expected some kind of follow-up authored by Dolson.  Also a little odd that Osterman, Rabby, etc,, haven't seem to pressure Dolson for statements they can quote.

I feel like the little girl in Miracle on 34th Street repeating "I want to believe."  "I want to believe."

I remain strong in the belief that Scotty D has cause to move on without even mentioning on-court results from this season. The fact that he has not publicly acknowledged the reports from Wednesday gives him the opening. We have a certain expectation of how this program will be lead and managed and we won’t compromise on that. It’s a massive commitment and we expect a complete and total commitment to the job. 

It’s not like we have to worry about upsetting any incoming recruits. Actually kind of crazy that our best chance to bring in recruits (minus portal) is to fire our coach and hire one that has committed recruits that will follow.

37 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Yikes! Are you serious? Despite your constant defense of Woodson, IU's program is a dysfunctional mess and they aren't sniffing the NCAA tournament this year. Purdue waxed IU twice this year and are going to win the B1G for the second straight year and be a number 1 seed in the same NCAA tournament that IU is missing. 

Your arrogance is astounding. Yes, I would like IU to be on Purdue's level right now. They have a bad NCAA history, especially recently, but being a number 1 seed would be beyond the wildest dreams of any IU fans right now. 

Been at Disney on Ice with kids all day basically. Besides missing the hoop-a-thon with [mention]Uspshoosier [/mention], have I missed anything else juicy? Or just typical back and forth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everytime I start to wonder if I was wrong about Crean someone posts of a photo that says "nah".
You weren't wrong. He had time and showed he wasn't good enough to be a consistent winner. However we were all wrong to want him gone because of how bad iu administration has done since. Crean was way better than Archie and I fear Woodson if given time will make crean and Archie look great. Woodson may wind up being the worst thing that's happened to iu imo if we give him a couple more years

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It could be Dolson's only way of thumbing his nose at the powers the be. 

'You're not letting me do my job to revive this dying program? Screw you. Answer the media yourselves.'

1 hour ago, steubenhoosier said:

Agree, in the long term that’s how to build the program back up.

it’s been acknowledged here that we aren’t anywhere close to the Duke, Kentucky, Kansa, etc of the world. I agree.

It’s been a common theme that the IU fan base is growing more and more impatient to return to relevance .That 20 plus years is not acceptable for IU. I agree.

So, how are we going to achieve this quick turnaround that everyone wants?

It’s been mentioned here that if May came and brought his FAU guys with him, that would be an immediate upgrade. Probably would, but how different would that be from getting guys from the portal? They would have no real connection to IU.

If Pearl came and brought several of his recruits with him, would they be IU guys or Pearl guy?

As I said, I want to see IU back to prominence just like you do. Soon as possible. I am not talking about the weakness of Woodson’s recruiting system. I’m talking about what it’s going to take to get the program back to being competitive as soon as possible and getting the fans back and connected to the program 

Getting a player familiar with a coach’s system IS big.  Also the coach has intimate knowledge of the player just what his on court ability is.