Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Completely agree. But we have seven open spots and plenty of room for a catch and shoot wing to add to the mix.

Miller Kopp was underappreciated in his time!

A little more food for thought:

Cupps was 36% from three on low volume this past season. And he’s in the gym every morning at 6 AM working on that jumpshot. He has a ton of room for growth as a shooter.

Don’t have the numbers but someone posted Cupps’ catch and shoot #s near the end of the season and they were substantially better, as you’d expect. It’s a bit unorthodox but he’s an easier guy to slot in and get ANYTHING from offensively if everyone else on the floor can provide ball-handling and rim pressure.

He can space, and his defender then has to leave him open — ++ play for IU, maybe 1.3 points/possession if he’s a little over 40% from 3 on open catches, OR his man doesn’t leave him, and then it’s easier for whoever’s getting to the tin.

That, and a normal progression for a guy who played a bunch of minutes, is probably a top half of the league backup PG.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Would a freshman Tucker walk in be better than a 5th year Trey?

I wouldn’t think so unless he shoots the ball a lot better than expected. I love the idea of Tucker joining the team but wouldn’t be thrilled if he’s promised ~30mpg.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Perkins. Tucker.

That’d be two, amirite?

Perkins yes. Tucker, I have no idea. Hard to know with freshmen. Mgbako was rated even higher, and was borderline unplayable early in the season.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Would a freshman Tucker walk in be better than a 5th year Trey?

In some ways yes, in many ways not. But Trey is pretty freaking good. He could be the 5th-7th best player on a team that made a deep tournament run if he could be used in the right role. “Featured scorer” was most certainly NOT the right role.

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Completely agree. But we have seven open spots and plenty of room for a catch and shoot wing to add to the mix.

Miller Kopp was underappreciated in his time!

A little more food for thought:

Cupps was 36% from three on low volume this past season. And he’s in the gym every morning at 6 AM working on that jumpshot. He has a ton of room for growth as a shooter.

I think people don’t give credence to the idea that guys get better. That what we saw this year is not going to be the same next year. Case in point… I don’t think Galloway forgot how to shoot this past season. I think he was asked to do so much more in handling the ball and guarding the best player on the opposing team. Ease his responsibilities and maybe he gets back to where he was two years ago. MR made a big jump. Why wouldn’t he continue to work to improve? Cupps the same. Mbako made a huge jump from the beginning of the season to the end. If he comes back, I would expect further improvement.

Other teams will improve as well, but our guys aren’t going to be stagnant 

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

I think people don’t give credence to the idea that guys get better. That what we saw this year is not going to be the same next year. Case in point… I don’t think Galloway forgot how to shoot this past season. I think he was asked to do so much more in handling the ball and guarding the best player on the opposing team. Ease his responsibilities and maybe he gets back to where he was two years ago. MR made a big jump. Why wouldn’t he continue to work to improve? Cupps the same. Mbako made a huge jump from the beginning of the season to the end. If he comes back, I would expect further improvement.

This…

8 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

But which is the real Trey? 3 years he didn’t shoot it that well and 1 he did. He’s probably somewhere in between. I’m guessing he’ll shoot it better next season but he will be coming off knee surgery. 

But we also can’t deny that we struggle early in the season on offense. Adding a new PG to run things will take some time.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In some ways yes, in many ways not. But Trey is pretty freaking good. He could be the 5th-7th best player on a team that made a deep tournament run if he could be used in the right role. “Featured scorer” was most certainly NOT the right role.

Trey makes a great starting 3 for a Top 10 team. More in a role like Andre Jackson had for UConn last year though. But you have to have that kind of talent around him. Indiana isn't close. So you have to think whether or not he can be the 2nd or 3rd best on a Top 50 team.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But which is the real Trey? 3 years he didn’t shoot it that well and 1 he did. He’s probably somewhere in between. I’m guessing he’ll shoot it better next season but he will be coming off knee surgery. 

But we also can’t deny that we struggle early in the season on offense. Adding a new PG to run things will take some time.

If we bring in some shooters… and I know that’s a big if, Trey doesn’t need to be what he was 2 years ago. Just somewhere in between that and this past year. Let him drive and dish as he did this year and be the interim until that new PG finds his place 

I imagine Woodson going to get several portal players to come in. You can tell he’s running scared because he is offered just about everybody. I could not imagine how bad this would be if IU didn’t have sacks of money to throw at them. Bottom line for me I s he has been very lazy recruiting. Plus I am not at all impressed with his coaching ability 

7 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Never said. Thought that even divulging what level he played at would give away his identity. lol Very inflated sense of importance.

There’s a 0% chance that guy has ever gotten a competitive bucket in his entire life. Soft as a whisper in a library.