Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

38 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

I'm questioning the direction of the entire program & administration yet again with a simple concept: Give Woodson a "bag" of money and go "buy high character players" since he struck out on recruiting. Those two concepts don't line up, my friends. High character guys, and good teammates in general, aren't what we're looking for. They're looking for a spot in Lexington.

I agree with the sentiment, and Woody certainly struck out in HS recruiting, but the way things are these days the bags of money don’t bother me as much as it does some.  
Let’s say he would have landed 5 high school players (he only missed that target by 5. LOL). My assumption is that all 5 of those high school players would have had their “bags” lined up.  Does that make them less desirable or low character?  We were excited about Liam and I’d bet everything I own that the IU bag was well over 100k.

1 hour ago, IndyHoops said:

Then let’s bring in a couple shooters, because Perkins isn’t gonna help out much there.

You do realize that Hickman is a shooter and there's another one that IU will be after as soon as ISU is done

1 hour ago, IndyHoops said:

Throw in Perkins’s 29% from 3PT….how exactly is the 3PT shooting going to improve? Need more kids then these 2.

Who has said these will be the only 2 additions? Literally nobody

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

I think the problem, though, is that Tucker and Perkins are likely to, collectively, take up 55-60 minutes/game, which limits the time available for those other additions. Yes IU can still recruit other shooters, but their impact will be limited by the presence of these other additions.

In other words, Perkins is undoubtedly an upgrade to the current roster, but he may not be a great fit for a roster that has Galloway, Tucker (assuming he signs), and Reneau penciled in for serious minutes.

Similarly, Tucker is a great talent, but if he doesn't complement the rest of the roster, and is going to take up a bunch of PT, then the fit may not be great for 24-25, even if under other circumstances he'd be a no brainer to take.

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

I think the problem, though, is that Tucker and Perkins are likely to, collectively, take up 55-60 minutes/game, which limits the time available for those other additions. Yes IU can still recruit other shooters, buy their impact will be limited by the presence of these other additions.

In other words, Perkins is undoubtedly an upgrade to the current roster, but he may not be a great fit for a roster that has Galloway, Tucker (assuming he signs), and Reneau penciled in for serious minutes.

Similarly, Tucker is a great talent, buy if he doesn't complement the rest of the roster, and is going to take up a bunch of PT, then the fit may not be great for 24-25, even if under other circumstances he'd be a no brainer to take.

Everyone needs to let things play out a bit 

12 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree with the sentiment, and Woody certainly struck out in HS recruiting, but the way things are these days the bags of money don’t bother me as much as it does some.  
Let’s say he would have landed 5 high school players (he only missed that target by 5. LOL). My assumption is that all 5 of those high school players would have had their “bags” lined up.  Does that make them less desirable or low character?  We were excited about Liam and I’d bet everything I own that the IU bag was well over 100k.

That is all true, except coaching, play style, and program still matters. I mentioned this earlier but it was pretty widely reported Dickinson took less money than he could have because he wanted to play at Kansas. And I am not talking rumor mill stuff, like interview with Bleacher Report type reporting. Did he still get a bag that probably dwarfed his UM bag? Of course he did, but that was not the only motivation. We are not the Yankees laughing at the CBA or the Lakers laughing at the luxury tax when others simply do not have the money. This notion we can outbid for high level targets is baffling to me. Our NIL would be FAR more effective when combined with "cheaper" high school recruiting. Instead we have to build half a roster. It is madness.  

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Everyone needs to let things play out a bit 

Things are going to play out however they play out, so what I think doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

But we have 120 minutes to split at the 1-2-3 positions. If Perkins and Tucker sign, they, along with Galloway, will almost certainly consume at least 75-80 of those minutes (and probably more). That makes it really hard to add the multiple shooters IU consistently needs to have on the court, regardless of who else they sign.

Roster construction has probably been the biggest shortcoming of the current staff, so it's not unreasonable for people to anticipate those issues arising again as the recruiting focuses become clearer.

13 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

That is all true, except coaching, play style, and program still matters. I mentioned this earlier but it was pretty widely reported Dickinson took less money than he could have because he wanted to play at Kansas. And I am not talking rumor mill stuff, like interview with Bleacher Report type reporting. Did he still get a bag that probably dwarfed his UM bag? Of course he did, but that was not the only motivation. We are not the Yankees laughing at the CBA or the Lakers laughing at the luxury tax when others simply do not have the money. This notion we can outbid for high level targets is baffling to me. Our NIL would be FAR more effective when combined with "cheaper" high school recruiting. Instead we have to build half a roster. It is madness.  

I agree that those all matter. No doubt.
That being said, when a sought after portal or high school player is being pursued the coach still needs access to “the bag”. To your point it doesn’t have to be the largest bag but it better have some goodies inside.

26 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Well they won't be because neither is an addition yet. We don't know if they're coming or not. Tucker yes most likely. We need to slow down on players being on the team when they might be leaning our way. 

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree that those all matter. No doubt.
That being said, when a sought after portal or high school player is being pursued the coach still needs access to “the bag”. To your point it doesn’t have to be the largest bag but it better have some goodies inside.

Absolutely, and to be clear I am 100% in support of college players getting paid. What I am not in support of is the IU basketball program being in such a state that we have to try and persuade players with money to build over half the roster. I want our NIL resources to be a tool to finish building a championship roster, not a lure just to fill it out. 

36 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Well they literally can't be or Malik's foul problems are really going to be an issue! Can't auto bench with two fouls if there is no bench lmao...

I am joking of course, I am sure we will fill at least 6 of the 7 open slots. I hope. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well they won't be because neither is an addition yet. We don't know if they're coming or not. Tucker yes most likely. We need to slow down on players being on the team when they might be leaning our way. 

What is this measured, hold your horses, let's not get ahead of ourselves Chris? Is this a new offseason thing? Unsubscribe!

53 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Tucker is now a Hoosier