Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

for me and my opinion which likely means nothing lol, an early potential indication on how the 24-25 season will play out will be determined early on in the portal(opens in 11 days).  We NEED guards that can score at will  

3 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

It was “more than it was”, which is what I was trying to communicate when I came here yesterday. It wasn’t nothing, though. There are people who are increasingly concerned with the direction of the program, but there wasn’t nearly enough concern to make a move. That said, I can’t envision a scenario where the expectation for Year 4 isn’t make or break for Woody. He is very well liked, but Dolson wants to win. Not saying others don’t want to win too, but Scott wants to be happier with the direction of the program than he is now.

So does make or break come solely down to wins and losses or does it factor in recruiting as in having a foundation of players coming in to build a program and not just portal diving every year to build a team?,  

7 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

Im not an insider but based on my personal experience growing up, at the high school level of coach, these things can change in an instant. One night you are employed and the next morning at breakfast in the morning paper you see things have turned a 180. I'll not go into my personal story but I have experienced things like this. THIS meaning what goes on in the background of coaching decisions.

I know a while back our local high school was given a positive review by the AD at the end of the season and then less than a week later was told he was going to be voted not to retain by the board at the end of the season and that he could either resign or be canned.

10 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

It was “more than it was”, which is what I was trying to communicate when I came here yesterday. It wasn’t nothing, though. There are people who are increasingly concerned with the direction of the program, but there wasn’t nearly enough concern to make a move. That said, I can’t envision a scenario where the expectation for Year 4 isn’t make or break for Woody. He is very well liked, but Dolson wants to win. Not saying others don’t want to win too, but Scott wants to be happier with the direction of the program than he is now.

Would you say there’s still a chance that at the end of this season Woodson announces that he is stepping down and retiring and that announcement that he’ll be back next year just kinda helps the narrative that he’s leaving on his own terms? Or does this announcement that he’ll be back mean that we are for sure going to see him as coach for next season? I guess the reason I ask is just because of the timing of it and no actual quotes from Dolson or administration about it. Maybe it’s a matter of no quotes from them needed because they plan all along was that Woodson had a 4th year..

Thank you! 

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

Would you say there’s still a chance that at the end of this season Woodson announces that he is stepping down and retiring and that announcement that he’ll be back next year just kinda helps the narrative that he’s leaving on his own terms? Or does this announcement that he’ll be back mean that we are for sure going to see him as coach for next season? I guess the reason I ask is just because of the timing of it and no actual quotes from Dolson or administration about it. Thank you! 

There is zero chance that someone as arrogant as Mike Woodson will ever willingly step down. 

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

So does make or break come solely down to wins and losses or does it factor in recruiting as in having a foundation of players coming in to build a program and not just portal diving every year to build a team?,  

They'll look for every excuse imaginable to keep him. No one that's serious about winning would look at the shape this program is in, with the lack of foundation and recruiting mishaps on top of the results, and say "let's keep him".

In terms of Rabby and Eric 'backing the wrong horse'.....Rabby and Eric will be around long after Woodson is done coaching at IU.  It may be a year of highlighting the shortcomings for a season as opposed to having unfettered access to the bball program, but op ed sells.  I expect that's the direction you'll see from them until Woodson is gone.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There is zero chance that someone as arrogant as Mike Woodson will ever willingly step down. 

Right I agree with that. I guess it just all seems odd to me like there’s still something that could happen that we don’t know about. Probably my brain wanting that to be true because I want him gone so bad haha 

15 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Then IU needs better decision makers and it's not a mistake that the program is where it's at. This is a joke and it will show when next years team is worse than the first year post Sampson. 

1 hour ago, IU Prof said:

So the best case scenario is:

Portal PG

Portal SG

McNeeley

Mbgako 

Reneau

Galloway (6th man)

The problem with that scenario is that the front court defense will be...not good...barring huge leaps from Mbgako and Reneau.

Those Portal guards not only need to bring about 25-30 PPG, but they'll also need to be world class on-ball defenders. Otherwise, with Reneau as the rim protector, he's likely to foul out after 15-20 MPG.

Not a bad lineup, but also not great either. And that's the frustration. An ok lineup coached by a below average coach is not a recipe for success.

I don't think we'll be terrible next year, especially if we do have a boatload of NIL to throw around. Way too early to tell though.

Best case scenario I see is something like 20-11. Good enough for a 6 seed in the tournament. 

Are we ok with that? Because I sure as hell am not. I'm sick of this basketball purgatory we have chosen to be in.

I will never root for IU to lose. But I definitely don't have to take the time to root for mediocrity. 

20 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

No disrespect, but nobody making millions while being a large cog in the determination University's athletic revenue shouldn't be keeping their job because people like them. The ideal situation is one where that person is very good at their job and people like them. The next best scenario is one where they are very good at their job but also a jerk. In this situation, a key and necessary component is missing.

1 hour ago, IU Prof said:

It does appear the deepest pocketed boosters are content with the status quo, which makes it hard to affect real change.

Maybe coordinate a campaign to get everyone dissatisfied to wear a paper bag over their head to the game on Sunday?

I wonder if the boo$ters have just grown weary of getting asked (begged) to pony up buyout money for our constant hire & fire carousel of basketball and football coaches.  Maybe Dolson was trying to arrange the foundation for a change and struck out.

On a couple of related notes:

1. Because of this pattern with BB coaches, hiring an established guy (BP for example) with an arranged successor would be attractive since it would mean stability for several seasons, albeit with the risk that the successor didn't pan out.

2. There were a few posts about getting Cuban on board.  I may be wrong, but hasn't he said he won't give money directly for coaching decisions like buyouts or salaries?

10 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

This coach has his team playing their best ball at the end of the season.

When was the last time that statement could be made?

At the end of a season already in the toilet. Your apparent acceptance of mediocrity is a microcosm of why we are what we are. Coming here to gloat over a team that’s a couple games over .500 by beating bad teams is laughable. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Last year. And the year before last year. 

So, you're saying CMW has consistently had his teams playing their best ball at the end of the season.

Something you couldn't say about either Archie or Crean