Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I agree but with the rebuild IU could be looking at he might be the perfect candidate to get things turned around. That said he has to have some success next year at ND to even be in the conversation. 

Will be interesting to see how his team does next year. I’d really like Micah

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If he won't retire and it's known the expectations won't be met, and the ones Jerry listed 100% won't, then there's no reason to give him another year. I doubt the pool of potential coaches would be any better if they have a year to see how much of a mess Woodson can make.

They might actually be dumber than I thought. This is basically telling he's fired effective a year from now. Forget recruiting HS kids, of course he'd have to be on the road to do that.

This sounds like a clucking mess!  Woodson’s stubbornness is the gift that just keeps on giving 

11 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

The source wasn’t Dolson. 

You weren’t lying about things being a mess internally! That detail wasn’t necessary to reveal the systemic dysfunction, but it certainly highlights it more starkly. 

I remember watching a Brad Stevens interview  and one other coach (I cannot seem to remember)  speak about how they needed everyone in the program moving in lockstep. Even the janitor. I’d hate to be Dolson working in that environment. 

Makes me wonder how this is viewed in coaching circles. 

Seems pretty obvious that the administration is projecting their internal toxicity onto the fanbase. 

These boosters would get a lot more for their money if instead of increasing NIL each year by $2 million we offer it all to Scott Drew. I know there were issues with the Hanner thing but we’re going to hold a grudge on a player who wasn’t even good enough to play here anyway? Drew makes 5.1 million. Pay him $6.5-7 and make him 3rd highest behind Cal and Self. Pearl is at 5.7 so they have to be talking close to that range anyway. 

$4 mil NIL + Drew > $6 mil NIL Woodson

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What’s even the point of asking Woodson to retire if you’re not going to fire him if he says no? 

It’s harder and harder to be an IU fan knowing how little the program cares about winning. We are not a serious basketball program. We’re a vanity project for an old player. 

This is probably the best descriptor for what the program has become in this entire thread. 

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

It’s promising to hear higher ups want a proven guy next time. I will gladly suffer through another year of Woodson if it means not just throwing the keys to May.

They won't care next year if it is a proven guy or not. They only cared that it was a proven guy to take over for Woodson this year.

Quinn is going to let them hire whoever they want next time. It could be a high school kid

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It's absolutely ridiculous. 

You don't ask someone to retire. You either make them or fire them. 

You either reach out to coaches or you don't. You don't ask if we think about making our crappy coach retire would you be interested in our job. 

The whole thing is a clown show 

Like I said earlier.  Woody is essentially a death row inmate with a failing liver.  The Indiana administration has made the decision to pay millions so he can receive a transplant and survive until his execution date early next year.

clown-scary-close-up-gmx4mia6irdzmdso.gif

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

They won't care next year if it is a proven guy or not. They only cared that it was a proven guy to take over for Woodson this year.

Quinn is going to let them hire whoever they want next time. It could be a high school kid

I have a hard time believing that he is going to go from super involved, to completely hands off hire who ever you want?  

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

It’s promising to hear higher ups want a proven guy next time. I will gladly suffer through another year of Woodson if it means not just throwing the keys to May.

Sounds like Louisville thinks highly enough to hand over the keys to their broken down Ferrari to him. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Banks and Gunn

Yep, which those were probably a given anyways and I would assume doesn’t really move the needle on the situation as far as who we are losing on the roster. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Then if the deal is to move one next year, why not announce that Woodson will retire after next season. Then hire Dusty as the “GM” or advisor type role and let him start recruiting a year in advance.

I'd also add Luke Yaklich is available to be an assistant. He was the defensive mind behind  Beilein taking a step forward at Michigan. I think Dusty needs a defensive mind in staff. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Quinn is going to be done off the board next summer. This was all about making it impossible this year to move on from Woodson.

He was going to make the qualifications so hard to move on that Dolson couldn't find anyone. So he barely even looked. 

Gotta protect his friend. His friend predictably sucks at the job he was given but that's irrelevant. Pure nepotism.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Then if the deal is to move one next year, why not announce that Woodson will retire after next season. Then hire Dusty as the “GM” or advisor type role and let him start recruiting a year in advance.

I'd also add Luke Yaklich is available to be an assistant. He was the defensive mind behind  Beilein taking a step forward at Michigan. I think Dusty needs a defensive mind in staff. 

Because no one is going to tell Mike Woodson how to run his program unless it's someone he trusts. 

You have to remember Woodson thinks he's done a great job. He thinks he will fix this in the portal.