Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2024 (F) Kanon Catchings and Whatever

7 minutes ago, Go_Hoosiers said:

Very interesting. He was already on campus. Could this be a situation where they overpromised and under delivered on his NIL?

I believe the main rumor is that he never wanted to play for Purdue in the first place and that his Parents put all the pressure to pick Purdue. Since his mom went there

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Could this be our 13th scholly?

image.png

Wasn't Purdue over committed for next year? This seems like an odd choice of who to cut. lol

Seriously, though, there have been rumors of this for a year. I'm not sad that it happened. Screw 'em.

11 minutes ago, Demo said:

Talented kid but he seems a touch flaky and I can’t imagine he’s not looking for immediate minutes, which I’m confident someone will be able to promise. Not sure I’d be interested even if he is.

• Talented.
  • Immature.
  • I'd take him.
  • He's very likely not an IU interest kid.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I believe the main rumor is that he never wanted to play for Purdue in the first place and that his Parents put all the pressure to pick Purdue. Since his mom went there

Following up, looks like a maturity issue 

I think it is very likely someone will offer him more immediate PT than we can provide with our current roster makeup...I would love to have him join, develop and play a big role next year, but not sure that's the role he'd be looking for or willing to accept. 

But hey...kick the tires baby, we've got a spot. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Yes, if I remember right he told Purdue he wasn’t coming last year and then his family promptly re committed for him.  

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

That's what has been going around for quite awhile.  Usually doesn't end well when parents push a kid into signing somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Last post in the Purdue rivals forum before Catchings decommitted (someone had compared Catchings to Glenn Robinson):

I have seen both in HS I've never considered this Question and it's a good one. GR was an in-your-face warrior with a real man's body. IMO the better comparison would be E'Twaun they both are smooth as silk. Kanon is a cerebral player who exploits every weakness like a plastic surgeon he will carve you up! Their skill sets are similar Kanon is the better ball handler. Kanon is no Glen Robinson! But he's a damn good Kanon Catchings. Good post.

--------

The posts since he decommitted seem to be all about him 'not being good enough to get big minutes' or 'it's a good thing because now his minutes can just be split up among all the talent we have'.

I have a strong reasonably educated hunch that OTE offered about twice what Purdue's NIL deal was for him to go with the professional side of their program, and he wanted Painter to get close to that figure and he wouldn't. When he signed he was 6'6" 175 lbs. OTE listed him this year at 6'9" 215. Probably a slight exaggeration but if he'd agree to the two year Tucker plan for professional readiness, IU would come up with necessary funds. 

I would ask he reads the Matt and Ryan Bewley story before he does anything further with OTE though. It would make Woody look like genius if we would pull this off. Lol, 

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He isn't coming to Indiana. Maybe Kentucky, Notre Dame... Illinois?

If he is looking for playing time, Kentucky and Illinois aren't going to offer as much playing time as he would have gotten at Purdue.  Jaxson Robinson and Otega Oweh already man the spot where Catchings is most likely to get playing time and they are both P5 players who averaged 14 and 11 ppg last season.  Illinois maybe but they do have a logjam and PF and SF -- four transfers including Tre White and Ben Humrichous and two freshman PF including the player ranked 29th.

Notre Dame he certainly would get more court time but their basketball NIL is pretty low.  If he's looking for both NIL and guaranteed decent court time, there probably aren't a whole lot of choices at this point.