Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

it wasn't too long ago that some had Harbaugh in the hot seat. 

Those people were mostly overzealous media pundits, and probably didn’t exist in any real form in the Michigan AD’s office. But maybe we can compromise and say it is a lesson in competence plus patience. Most people knew Harbaugh is an excellent coach. He’d won everywhere, including the pro’s (much more demanding schematically at the pro level).   

But even then, at Michigan the previous two coaches were about .500 over the previous 7 years when he took over including a 5-7 year in Hoke’s last. Harbaugh went 10-3, 10-3, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 2-4(covid), 12-2, 13-1, 15-0.  

He had an early Orange Bowl (be like an elite 8) and other decent bowls (be like consistently going to the tourney with some sweet 16’s) before two “Final Fours” the last couple of years.   

In other words, Michigan wasn’t being patient with a Tom Crean or Mike Davis. They were being patient with a Jay Wright or Tony Bennett.   

The only consternation with Harbaugh was the losing to OSU, which doesn’t really exist in the basketball world. Even after that 9-4 season (all losses to top 11 teams), his winning percentage was better than Carr’s who was their only championship coach in the modern era.  

I don’t think Harbaugh is a great example to point to if you’re looking at your underperforming basketball coach and wondering if you should move on or not. It would be more akin to us hiring Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens and after 5 years they had a .700 winning %, 5 tourney appearances with an EE and two S16’s, but no B1G titles and a losing record to Purdue.  Would a few crazies and media people be calling for them to be on the hot seat? Sure. But any competent administration would be holding tight. 

As far as I’m concerned, I’m ready to call the Woodson experiment a failure.

It’s like he didn’t learn a $&@!&@#* thing from Bob Knight. Like he was never even taught the game.

We suck at free throws. We suck at boxing out. We suck at rebounding on both ends. We suck at valuing the ball and intelligent passing. We suck at shooting. We suck at defense, substitution, roster building, energy, and mental toughness.

We are not even an adequately functioning division one team.

Tell Mike to go home, give the keys to Calbert for the rest of the season and then hire Michael Lewis or Dusty May in March.

This is worse than bad.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m ready to call the Woodson experiment a failure.
It’s like he didn’t learn a $&@!&@#* thing from Bob Knight. Like he was never even taught the game.
We suck at free throws. We suck at boxing out. We suck at rebounding on both ends. We suck at valuing the ball and intelligent passing. We suck at shooting. We suck at defense, substitution, roster building, energy, and mental toughness.
We are not even an adequately functioning division one team.
Tell Mike to go home, give the keys to Calbert for the rest of the season and then hire Michael Lewis or Dusty May in March.
This is worse than bad.
In pregame radio fisch talked with Woodson about ohio st game and mentioned how bad we got out rebounded. Mike proving he is nothing like knight sarcastically said maybe one day we will put a perfect game together. I thought it was not funny. Especially after this

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Trying to find a positive here...all the fans who insisted that we needed an "IU guy" as coach should surely understand the error in that thinking, right?  Or they never learn, do they

Agreed. I can see why fans of Indiana want it, we cling to the past so much as a fanbase and sometimes with that you think past players will make an impact. But it doesn’t matter we need a winning coach not a former player. 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Trying to find a positive here...all the fans who insisted that we needed an "IU guy" as coach should surely understand the error in that thinking, right?  Or they never learn, do they

It'd be one thing if an IU guy showed they were good enough, when he was hired none had and that includes Woodson.

I wasn't crazy about the CMW hire but eventually warmed up to it and actually started to believe the hype from some when we started getting some highly rated recruits. But the coaching and improvement hasn't come. In game and fundamentals are extremely lacking. I'm thinking this experiment is not going to work and could possibly get lots worse as next year we just don't have much coming in at this point and can't believe that a quality transfer would want to come into this mess.

If he misses the tournament, I could see him retiring early.

He's too old for this. He doesn't want the ire of thousands of IU fans calling for his head if he doesn't turn it around.

He seems like a good dude, I wanted it to work out even though I was never on board and skeptical from the beginning.

My rant is… Didn't Calbert Cheaney say this team was potentially better then last year’s team… I’m just kidding on the rant but seriously I think he said that.

We have a lot of experience on the sidelines with our coaching staff, surely someone sees the flaws that we all see. I guess it's more of a question but is CMW so stubborn and set in his ways that he won't listen to any of these guys?  

2 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

I wasn't crazy about the CMW hire but eventually warmed up to it and actually started to believe the hype from some when we started getting some highly rated recruits. But the coaching and improvement hasn't come. In game and fundamentals are extremely lacking. I'm thinking this experiment is not going to work and could possibly get lots worse as next year we just don't have much coming in at this point and can't believe that a quality transfer would want to come into this mess.

I agree 100% with this. I’d add that I think the team takes on his personality and there is usually little intensity or sense of urgency.  Some of this falls on the players too.  No visible leadership on the court and the team just hasn’t gelled. Just missing a true alpha guy.

Twitter and Facebook fans are turning on Woodson. 
A) really good medium to draw from (full on sarcasm)
Not a smiling sun) or b) they should be.

How's that for making no sense?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk