Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Woodson is cooked. He assembled the worst group of guards in all of power 5. He has zero guards coming in and I sincerely doubt he will have much success in the portal. The only way Woodson was going to work was by having elite recruiting and he whiffed too many times. 

He could not get any guards last spring in the portal so yeah no guarantee he could get any this spring. They clearly don't like his pound it in the post style.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

Unfortunately I think CMW can't recruit enough top talent to win with nor can he coach and develop lesser talent to win with either. I don't understand how we are so strong with our NIL program that we can't attract more talent than we have? 

If I’m looking at Indiana as a recruit, it’s not all that impressive these days. Programs have much better setups than this one at the moment. Even with NIL. 

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

He could not get any guards last spring in the portal so yeah no guarantee he could get any this spring. They clearly don't like his pound it in the post style.

Woodson’s style of play is from 2012. Kids don’t want to play that style especially guards. 

If we keep playing like this and don’t make a run at making the tourney I think Mike Woodson should be fired as soon as the season ends. It’s pretty evident at this point that his approach or system or whatever isn’t successful. If or when we stop being competitive toward making the tourney it should be clear to the administration and they should move quickly. 

Idk, I don't see the administration getting rid of Woody this offseason but I hope I'm wrong. 

If I'm not, it's really a really tough year and a half ahead. Guess you just have to savor the good moments when you can get them as a fan. 

A win at home vs. Minny would be nice. Please Lord just give us a better performance than tonight.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Good news? Scott Dolson showed us with the TA firing that he is taking this athletics thing seriously. Hopefully, the same will ring true if this all goes as it seems it will.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I don’t think we can fire Mike Woodson. Optics are very bad. Biggest factor why I was completely against the hire to begin with.

Hiring a family member can often hinder the ability to make astute business decisions, which are critical for the survival and success of the business. I’ve made that mistake before. As soon as we hired him, I knew it would be impossible for us to fire him.

Dolson will have to convince him to retire a little ahead of schedule. Timing is critical. We cannot allow him to stick around and get worse. We all know how publicly toxic this fanbase can be and frankly, it’s warranted imho. It’s been 22 years since a final four and nearly 40 for a championship. People who are tired of unruly fans need to sit and really think about those numbers. 

I will say that Dolson showed some serious executive chops in the Cignetti hire. He also made a very serious run at Brad Stevens and found the money to potentially make him a top 3 salaried coach. I fully believe he wants to win as badly as any of us. I have a gut feeling that he (and maybe others?) will convince Woody that he’s done his job here. He bridged the new with the old and made the Indiana brand more appealing to the most important demographic….talented basketball players.  It’s time to let him walk off into the sunset and turn the program over to someone else to take it to new (or old?) heights.  

My biggest concern is that this drags out and we ruin any progress he’s made for us. 

Just now, Home Jersey said:

Please elaborate

Sure thing. 

Cook Hall is dated. I’ve been in lots of practice facilities across the country and Indiana’s is meh. VCU’s is better than Indiana’s for what it’s worth. The locker room renovations in Cook Hall and Assembly Hall were great, but it’s still lacking compared to other programs. 

Adidas. Yeah Kansas still gets recruits and what not, but they are clearly more relevant the last 20 years than Indiana has been. Now will Indiana magically land the next great college star switching over to Nike? Likely not, but it could help. Kids love Nike / Jordan. 

Style of play. It’s boring, it’s slow, it’s 2012 interior play with a whole bunch of standing around. If I’m a guard, I’m not intrigued whatsoever. Nonetheless, Woodson’s connection to the NBA is a major plus. Koop can thank DJ White / Woodson for that current set up. 

Things could be better for Indiana. The NIL is there, the fan support is unimaginable, but there’s some room for improvement to get Indiana back to a talked about program. 

Rant here -

tl;dr
It's difficult to influence change, develop/retain talent, and assemble a team that covers weaknesses and builds on strengths when you're an average leader

When your organization is reluctant to change as the world around evolves it becomes a losing cause. When you're off chasing rainbows and unicorns instead of covering fundamentals to build a solid foundation you have a losing formula. When you don't hold those who you're responsible for accountable for the little things like being on time, treating others with respect, and quality of work you won't have a team that trusts each other or their leader. You will have talent with integrity and develops but will quickly see they need to leave for greener pastures and a massive pay raise. Life and work becomes so much easier when you surround yourself with good people and leaders.

Woodson’s style of play is from 2012. Kids don’t want to play that style especially guards. 
Correct. For some dumb reason I thought maybe he would maybe coach modern nba bbal. Otherwise the hire made zero sense. I'd love to hear dolsons reasoning but we never will.

I remember when we hired Woody everyone was excited because Matta and Fife were attached. They were both gone after one year. Not sure what the solution is here, we are as bad as we were during Archie times right now but who the hell would we even hire if we made a move. Seems like we’re in hell right now.

5 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Can we go back in time and give Tim Crean our current NIL arrangement? 

It really is a shame that the portal/NIL era came a few years after we fired him. I think he would've thrived in this environment.

2 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

It really is a shame that the portal/NIL era came a few years after we fired him. I think he would've thrived in this environment.

No, Crean sucked! Sampson was a great coach, but not holy enough!

1 minute ago, Trish said:

Even if Woodson was fired after the season, I don’t know who could fix this program. 

1 ) Brad Stevens

2) Dusty May

3) Kelvin Sampson

LOL

Bruce pearl

Even if Woodson was fired after the season, I don’t know who could fix this program. 

1 ) Brad Stevens
2) Dusty May
3) Kelvin Sampson

LOL
The real issue is who has any faith our ad can make a good hire. We fired crean and hired a worse coach. We fired archie and now it seems like we are looking at archie type results going forward. Though most did think Woodson was a baffling to say the least. So I guess not super surprising