Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If you want to really appreciate the personality and mindset of one of our new players, watch this interview of Oumar Ballo. Such a likeable guy, been noticing the IU fanbase for years, and his reaction when asked about Malik is priceless.

Great interview. I’m starting to get psyched!

Especially the part where he says i wish i could tell you guys … I’m confident we’re going to do great things.

Context is his years at AZ. Him sounding this pumped and confident on this team says some very good things. He knows what a good winning team looks like 

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I disagree with calling this team a dark horse. Obviously there’s a lot of assimilation needed, but if your talent-level is such that a top 4 tournament seed is a reasonable  expectation , and I don’t think that’s arguable here, then making a FF should be viewed as within a perfectly reasonable range of outcome.

I disagree with calling this team a dark horse. Obviously there’s a lot of assimilation needed, but if your talent-level is such that a top 4 tournament seed is a reasonable  expectation , and I don’t think that’s arguable here, then making a FF should be viewed as within a perfectly reasonable range of outcome.

I’m telling y’all Woodson respect level by the predictors is the factor. It’s not just us. Fortunately one great season goes a long way to changing that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m telling y’all Woodson respect level by the predictors is the factor. It’s not just us. Fortunately one great season goes a long way to changing that.

100%. And while I see the basis for it, I think it's a bit misplaced.

I see a massive failure by Woody, but not with player development or in-game coaching. Woody has been really pretty good on in-game adjustments and offensive sets.

Where he has royally sucked has been as a guy that could build a roster that has the components to succeed in the modern college game. The choices we had a guard last year were roster building malpracticeAn injured and erratic X, freshman Cupps, Gallo (that's one solid option) Gunn, and Leal? Aye caramba!! The year before? We were a 4 seed with only one healthy high-level guard.

This year? Not sure of it, but I kinda think the problems with horrendous roster construction have been rectified.

I’m happy with how Woody responded to last year, and I’m optimistic that he won’t make the same mistake again. His job this year is pretty simple: put players in positions to succeed. Let them and their talent do the rest. 

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I see a massive failure by Woody, but not with player development or in-game coaching. Woody has been really pretty good on in-game adjustments and offensive sets.

Where he has royally sucked has been as a guy that could build a roster that has the components to succeed in the modern college game. The choices we had a guard last year were roster building malpracticeAn injured and erratic X, freshman Cupps, Gallo (that's one solid option) Gunn, and Leal? Aye caramba!! The year before? We were a 4 seed with only one healthy high-level guard.

This year? Not sure of it, but I kinda think the problems with horrendous roster construction have been rectified.

Agreed. If I'm looking for roster short-comings to temper my enthusiasm one of the few areas is athleticism, particularly in the front court. Out of Mbako, Reneau, Ballo, Hatton, Goode none are rim-runner/above the rim type guys. BUT I hope that vastly improved guard play & shooting more than make up for that. 

I’m happy with how Woody responded to last year, and I’m optimistic that he won’t make the same mistake again. His job this year is pretty simple: put players in positions to succeed. Let them and their talent do the rest. 

This year has the potential to be an all time favorite roster. If woody can get them playing fast. Smarter. And locked the F in on defense.

Mgbako can flat shoot it. I like Gallo when not shooting 3s. Love Ballo and Reneau. Pretty sure I’m gonna love Rice. Goode and Tucker off the bench? It’s gotta be good, right.

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This year has the potential to be an all time favorite roster. If woody can get them playing fast. Smarter. And locked the F in on defense.

Mgbako can flat shoot it. I like Gallo when not shooting 3s. Love Ballo and Reneau. Pretty sure I’m gonna love Rice. Goode and Tucker off the bench? It’s gotta be good, right.

I think you will see a MUCH improved Cupps.

51 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not sure about this year being an all-time favorite.  Would be cool for that to happen, though.  A miracle, maybe.

To date, my all-time favorite is the undefeated '76-'77 NCAA National Champions.  Without a doubt.  The team that refused to lose.

Scott May, Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, and Tom Abernethy...and others.

Graduated from IU that year.  Married my IU college sweetheart that year. And IU won every single basketball game.   

Wow!

Not sure about this year being an all-time favorite.  Would be cool for that to happen, though.  A miracle, maybe.
To date, my all-time favorite is the undefeated '76-'77 NCAA National Champions.  Without a doubt.  The team that refused to lose.
Scott May, Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, and Tom Abernethy...and others.
Graduated from IU that year.  Married my IU college sweetheart that year. And IU won every single basketball game.   
Wow!

I was born in 1980.

Was a student for the 2002 national championship run.

Enjoy the early 90’s teams but was also swept up by the fab 5 movement before becoming a diehard.

The Watford, Zeller, Oladipo teams were gold besides they didn’t defend anyone.

Loved Yogi. Was the #1 TJD fan on the sight. He literally carried teams on his back.

I missed the glory years but it’s always a fun roller coaster.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

He’s a good enough coach that I expect a good season next year. He’s a flawed enough coach that I’m fine considering us a dark horse or long shot or whatever for a FF run next year. 

Unless we take major strides defensively we’ll get beat in the same manner all his teams get beat. 

5 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Wow!

I am a '76 grad myself.  Oh what a run!