Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I think it's just a start with the players and Lander leaving. More coming, and maybe Ya too

How many players come back? Is tis going to be a situation where we are down to like 4-5 players.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think it's just a start with the players and Lander leaving. More coming, and maybe Ya too

So you believe we’ll see more player departures and possibly Ya going to join Payne at Louisville? 

1 minute ago, 94Bulldog said:

There’s a press release from Woodson.  Based on it, I think your headline might need to be changed because it sure sounds like Woodson made the call and it wasn’t Dane’s choice.

I like the thread title "leaves." That will remain true no matter whose take on it one believes.

1 minute ago, HoosierX said:

Yeah if the real reasoning behind this is that Woody's messaging has been the assistants bring in the talent and then keep their mouth shut then that's not good. I'm not saying that is the case, but if it is then Woody is not going to succeed here.

It’s known he listened to his consultants more than the assistants. Fife probably didn’t keep his mouth shut about it and got shown the door

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

OMG, the sky is falling.  Panic in the streets.  

Would there be such hand wringing if it were Hunter or Rosemond?  Fife will be replaced and we'll move forward just like if TJD doesn't come back or any other key members of this year's team move on.  I hate that it's happened but it is what it is.  Didn't work out so a change had to be made.  

Do we think Armond Hill gets moved to an AC role? I would guess he doesn’t want to recruit. Someone up thread mentioned Moye or Lewis, I like those. Maybe one of the other staffers like Walsh if CMW was a fan of what they brought and wants to promote? But I’ll be the first to say there’s no reason to expect an “IU guy,” and CMW may have connections we haven’t considered.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

It’s known he listened to his consultants more than the assistants. Fife probably didn’t keep his mouth shut about it and got shown the door

If Woodson can't handle a non yes man and or not his best friends, then I don't think he's the right head coach to lead the program. 

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

Do we think Armond Hill gets moved to an AC role? I would guess he doesn’t want to recruit. Someone up thread mentioned Moye or Lewis, I like those. Maybe one of the other staffers like Walsh if CMW was a fan of what they brought and wants to promote? But I’ll be the first to say there’s no reason to expect an “IU guy,” and CMW may have connections we haven’t considered.

He is 68 years old, we sure as hell better not bring him on as an AC. We need guys that can recruit, end of story. Especially if Woody isn't going to listen to anything they have to say anyway.

Sure sounds like Fife was fired.

Really disappointed this didn't work out.

You had an Indiana grad who wanted nothing more than to coach at IU -- and for some reason or another, it didn't work. 

In interviews, etc., Fife seemed like a bright guy, was very well-spoken, etc. -- wonder what the problem is? Not that those traits necessarily equate to being a good coach, however. 

One thing has always had me curious: All those years on Izzo's staff, why didn't Dane get a gig running his own team? That just seems sorta strange to me. I recall at one point, he was slated to get the Duquesne job -- but that fell apart.  

It's not a good or bad look.

When the head coach doesn't know college assistants but has to hire some, he's dealing with personalities that he has no idea about.

Dane and Woody did not click. That's why one of his top lieutenants was Armond Hill. Hill and Kenya are the ones that sat next to Woody during games. That should speak volumes.

This is kind of a big deal internally. I could see Fife giving an ultimatum asking for some kind of succession guarantee…and the administration being reluctant to commit. Then Fife has time to find a new job and announces the move for career reasons. But, based on Woody’s statement ‘wrong fit’ it suggests something otherwise. Maybe Fife was recruiting/exploring transfer portal MSU style…if so, and slammed shut for it…doesn’t necessarily bode well for program’s competitive future.