Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana vs Undue Purversity, Thursday, 7:00 pm

8 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Disclaimer - I am 31

Is Jaden Ivey the best Purdue player since Glen Robinson? I mean, they have obviously had a lot of great players, but Ivey LOOK and PLAYS like an NBA player. 

Yes he is. He has nba all star potential. Hoping the Pacers can draft him. 

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I hope, wish, and pray that Dane, Kenya, and the other coaches perform an "intervention" on CMW and convince him to have Phin & Galloway start. They have proven (for much more than one game) that they are far better all around players than Kopp & Stewart. Nothing against those 2, it's just the reality. Let Kopp & Stewart come off the bench to give guys a blow.

Last night (and this has been the trend):

• Parker Stewart 15 minutes
  • Miller Kopp 16 minutes
  • Trey Galloway 24 minutes
  • Rob Phinisee 26 minutes

With Rob and Trey on the court at game-end crunch time.

Seems to me that the coaching staff is already there.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

• Miller Kopp 16 minutes

I disagree, a little. Not having Phin & Gallo on the floor early (read starting) we more often than not dig ourselves a hole, and the bench becomes the calvary. I would like to at least TRY it for a couple of games to see if it makes a difference.

18 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Disclaimer - I am 31

Is Jaden Ivey the best Purdue player since Glen Robinson? I mean, they have obviously had a lot of great players, but Ivey LOOK and PLAYS like an NBA player. 

I'm 45 and I would say yes. If I remember correctly also Glen Robinson wasn't this good as a sophomore like Ivey is. 

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• Miller Kopp 16 minutes

I believe 26 minutes for Rob is the most this season. If he starts the 2nd half does he have the energy to hit the last shot? Which was his only basket of the 2nd half. 

Just now, johnsoniu said:

Robinson as a soph was NPOY, Wooden, and Naismith award winner. Averaged 30 ppg. He only played 2 years.

Thank you, for some reason, I thought he was a junior. He was amazing, and those teams were great even though they couldn't make a final four.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• Miller Kopp 16 minutes

I love the Clamps closing lineup (X/Rob/Trey/Race/TJD) and the minutes trends lately have shown the staff is leaning on whoever’s playing well at the 2 and 3, in my opinion. If the starters stay the same I can live with it.

The two changes I’d like to see:

1. More of a “one shooter, one handler” combo at the 2/3 for stretches. So Trey with Stewart and a PG, or Kopp/Rob at the 2/3, or some other combo like that. You can still close with Clamps, but as many have said, the skill overlap between Stew and Kopp may make them more valuable separately.

2. maybe one quicker sub around the 16 minute mark of either half, unless the starters are really rolling. This would make it easier to keep one of TJD/Race in at all times, for example: if Race sits from 16-12 and replaces TJD when he returns, you avoid the minutes without either. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Thank you, for some reason, I thought he was a junior. He was amazing, and those teams were great even though they couldn't make a final four.

You’re sort of right. Robinson was a Prop 48. So the 2 yrs he played were his Soph and Junior seasons. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Robbie Eggers @RobbieEggers

Let’s face it - Purdue lost the moment they attempted to put a commercial out there that said “this is our state.” When you have to try to convince people you're important - you're not!

Yeah when I saw it I laughed at it.  Apparently at Purdue, Big Ten Championships > National Championships. I was like, who's running the marketing department and how in the world did that pitch get past the brainstorming sessions? 

I can see it now during the pitch session.

Start scene.

In walks the pitch guy with a smile on his face. His grin makes everyone in the room start to glow. He starts to pitch....

"I got the best commercial idea for the game down in BTown!  Let's hire a voice over guy and have him talk about our Big Ten Championships and while he's talking let's make sure we show us playing basketball.  But make sure we show us playing basketball in Assembly Hall more than Mackey!  That's really important!  And then end it with fancy graphics that says, 'This is our state!'. But make sure the slogan is laying over the state of Indiana. Also, let's not forget, we got to make sure the music/sound is awesome too.  Because you know, it's important to tug at the emotions of Hoosiers, I mean the people born, raised, and/or living in Indiana watching it. Because you know, the slogan and what not."

Then after he's done pitching everyone in the marketing department stands up and gives him a thunderous applause.  

End scene. 

Youtube 'Pitch Meeting' and I think you get the picture.  

1 minute ago, Demo said:

You’re sort of right. Robinson was a Prop 48. So the 2 yrs he played were his Soph and Junior seasons. 

That sounds like something my wife would say. Your kind of right but not really. Haha but now that you mention it I do remember him being a prop 48 guy.

21 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You had to know that someone here was going to call you out on it though....LMAO! Initially, I thought he played 3 but after really thinking it was only 2. 

Just now, yogisballin said:

You had to know that someone here was going to call you out on it though....LMAO! Initially, I thought he played 3 but after really thinking it was only 2. 

That's why I said If I remember correctly. I've had a lot of substances go through my system since then. 

1) purdoodoo started the second half cutting the lead to 1 by the under 16 media time out which included 3 made 3 pointers, one made by Ivey. Exactly, the #4 team in the country got back into the game, yet couldn't get a lead until 1:11 left. Goodness, you stated they played not to lose and I replied stating I disagreed with the start of the second half. They punched us in the mouth (see: 3 made 3s prior to the under 16 timeout) I believe most everyone watching expected for puroodoo to make a run.

2) we got late into the shock clock several times with X bailing us out on one of those with a made 3. He got a little wild late forcing shots which he missed 5 in the last 10 minutes of the game. So now we are going to be critical of a team maintaining a narrow lead for straight 15 minutes without it's All-American playing, because they didn't blow out the #4 team in the country? I have been comparing IU to IU from the beginning of the season, even against the cupcakies that filled our early schedule. I'm stoked we beat little bro at home. I was simply providing more evidence of how we played not to lose the game like we had done earlier in the season. The outcome was different in this game but we did many things similar to previous games. purdoodoo doesn't really force a lot of TOs (I believe) so it was good we did an EXCELLENT job taking care of the ball. Unlike the first half, we didn't get out in transition or attack as much earlier in the shot clock. X got a little loose in the last 10 minutes of the game like he has done in previous games. Thankfully, that didn't cost us the game. Moving forward, I would like to see X stay under control more AND us look to be the aggressors instead of just trying to hang on for the win.

3) we forced 10 purdoodoo turnovers in the first half, not sure how many points we got in transition or early offense but it was quite a bit Purdue made halftime adjustments, did you expect IU to turn them over 10 more times in the 2nd half? I mean they have pretty good coaches and players too. IU forcing 10 more TOs in the second half would have been great but no, I didn't expect 10 more TOs in the second half. I did expect us to get into our offense and force purdoodoo back on their heels in the second half. That has led to success for IU this season, especially against teams that don't turn us over. I was actually shocked that porkchop didn't pressure us further up as he knows we are susceptible to TOs.

4) ITH are just media, not coaches, but they saw something similar OK

Purdue made its run in the second half as Jaden Ivey poured in 19 points after the break and Indiana didn’t really have an answer.This is completely untrue. IU answered almost every Ivey or PU basket. As you said the lead was 1 with 16 minutes left but IU didn't trail until 1:11 left.  That is quite literally the definition of having the answer.  There were runs made by both teams in the second half, not the crazy 10+ runs IU has given up in the recent past. purdoodoo shaved 8 points off in the first 4 minutes of the half. I believe there was another 8-2 or 9-2 run by purdoodoo later in the half to get it close? Indiana didn't really have an answer for Jaden Ivey. He was getting to his spots and making plays. IU’s offense down the stretch started to resemble the Nebraska game, dribbling and dribbling and dribbling the clock out with Jackson-Davis sidelined, just hoping to hold on. Purdue got the lead at 65-63 after Indiana lost Mason Gillis on an inbounds play. And yet they didn't cave or foul, they went on a 5-0 run to finish the game. Agreed, PHIN hit a big shot and then TJD finished it with two made FTs. The part I was pointing to was that IU's offense went into a prevent offense that almost cost them this game like games earlier this season. They played not to lose (see: dribbling and dribbling and dribbling the clock out with Jackson-Davis sidelined, just hoping to hold on.).

I like the change too. It aligns a bit more to the reality of the game ;-)