Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

2021/2022 Men’s Basketball Season

I thought I’d go ahead and make a thread for general discussion on the team/season. 

Also, this doesn’t really fit with the theme of the thread, but oh well! Coach Woodson has talked to the Knicks about playing a game in MSG. Would be pretty cool to play a marquee program there in a few years.

After the Louisiana game, the bartovik ratings moved IU up to #21.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Indiana&year=2022

They currently project IU to finish 22-9 and 12-8 in conference.  Pretty interesting site.

They rate a team's performance each game.  Games are capped at a 100 performance on score of the game and team played.  100's are relative to the opponent you played, so you can get 100s regardless of opponent.

IU's performance grades:

Eastern Michigan:  74

Northern Illinois:  98

St. John's:  88

Louisiana: 100

We posted no 100's last year.  The highest was a 99 against Providence.  Our last 100 was in 2019.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

They currently project IU to finish 22-9 and 12-8 in conference.  Pretty interesting site.

They rate a team's performance each game.  Games are capped at a 100 performance on score of the game and team played.  100's are relative to the opponent you played, so you can get 100s regardless of opponent.

IU's performance grades:

Eastern Michigan:  74

Northern Illinois:  98

St. John's:  88

Louisiana: 100

We posted no 100's last year.  The highest was a 99 against Providence.  Our last 100 was in 2019.

We are 20th now.  And they have us rated as favorites in the next 12 games

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I’d be thrilled with that record. I honestly think it’s pretty realistic, too. Way too early to say anything, but if they are who we think they are my amateur prediction is at least a Round of 32.

Watched a lot BBall Wed & yesterday, and finally came to the rude awakening that we're not nearly as good as I thought we were. Our defense is good to excellent, but our offense is still very much wanting.

Woody's presser after JSU game was right on. He said something to the effect that we're scoring 70-75 points a game, but it's too hard. We need to make the offense easier (and I suspect, more efficient). Trayce only getting 7 touches for the entire game is a sin. (my word, not Woody's).

I can see why we're not ranked. I don't think we can compete with the top 10-15 at this point in time. But I think Woody will get us there.

42 minutes ago, DWB said:

I can see why we're not ranked. I don't think we can compete with the top 10-15 at this point in time. But I think Woody will get us there.

Not that rankings mean much but I doubt anyone on here thinks we should be ranked top 10 - 15 in the country currently. If so they are wearing crimson colored glasses and not paying attention to the level of competition we’ve been playing so far.  Top 20-25 in the country, maybe. Having an All- American may get us there sooner, IMO. And, I like where we are headed with Woody as well.  

Not that it means squat, but Lunardi has IU as a 7 seed, up from an 8, and no longer has Syracuse in his bracket.  They were earlier listed as a 9 seed against our 8.  We need better shooters and more of them.  This coaching staff will get us there.  I have no doubts.

34 minutes ago, rayl456 said:

Not that it means squat, but Lunardi has IU as a 7 seed, up from an 8, and no longer has Syracuse in his bracket.  They were earlier listed as a 9 seed against our 8.  We need better shooters and more of them.  This coaching staff will get us there.  I have no doubts.

How does Leal earn legit minutes? We have Stewart that can shoot but beyond that it gets pretty spotty. Leal could be that second shooter on the grassy knoll if he can improve his defense

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

How does Leal earn legit minutes? We have Stewart that can shoot but beyond that it gets pretty spotty. Leal could be that second shooter on the grassy knoll if he can improve his defense

I don’t think Leal will get legit minutes until Woody trusts his defense. In regards to perimeter threats it is great to see Stewart at 10-21 from the three and  while X has only shot 6 threes he has  hit 3 of them. I think/hope Kopp at 5/16 and Bates at 4/12 will both be 35%+ this year. Interesting that none of the 4 played for us last year. Kudos to Woody for adding some players that will potentially improve one of our greatest weaknesses last year.

4 hours ago, DWB said:

Watched a lot BBall Wed & yesterday, and finally came to the rude awakening that we're not nearly as good as I thought we were. Our defense is good to excellent, but our offense is still very much wanting.

Woody's presser after JSU game was right on. He said something to the effect that we're scoring 70-75 points a game, but it's too hard. We need to make the offense easier (and I suspect, more efficient). Trayce only getting 7 touches for the entire game is a sin. (my word, not Woody's).

I agree with your sentiments but we will have a much better idea where we stand by the evening of Dec 8th. By then we will have played Syracuse, Wiscy and Nebraska. While none of those three are looking like world beaters, 2/3 of the games are on the road. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks (and season). 

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t know but hopefully he gets them soon. You can hide bad defenders when you have great team defense. The kid can shoot it, and that’s something we really need. Right now we’re 152nd in 3pt % and 279th in FT %. We need to improve both of those numbers. I’ve seen some good things from Woody and 5-0 is great but we also have quite a bit to improve on. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t know but hopefully he gets them soon. You can hide bad defenders when you have great team defense. The kid can shoot it, and that’s something we really need. Right now we’re 152nd in 3pt % and 279th in FT %. We need to improve both of those numbers. I’ve seen some good things from Woody and 5-0 is great but we also have quite a bit to improve on. 

We’re also 5th in the country in fewest points allowed.

D is way ahead of O but O has been improving, including Stewart now connecting after starting poorly, that 3-point percentage is skewed by early games. Kopp though has been (imo) taking too many shots while not connecting. Bates is a very good outside shooter, those numbers will come up

26 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

We’re also 5th in the country in fewest points allowed.

D is way ahead of O but O has been improving, including Stewart now connecting after starting poorly, that 3-point percentage is skewed by early games. Kopp though has been (imo) taking too many shots while not connecting. Bates is a very good outside shooter, those numbers will come up

The defense has been great, but we’ve also faced some weak competition. St. John’s is the only quality opponent we’ve played and they scored 74 points. I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up as our schedule gets tougher. I don’t know how good of a shooter Leal is due to the limited sample size we have this year. All I’m saying is that if he’s capable of, for example, shooting 40% from 3 on good volume then you have to find minutes for him. You can’t have one of your best shooters riding the bench when your team struggles shooting the ball.