Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: vs. Eastern Michigan 11/9 - 6 pm - BTN

It’s one game.  I need more of a sample size to know how I feel about anything concrete.  This was a start and I’m happy their is a start and the season is here!
I like what Woodson is trying to do on the defensive end and we will see if the offense comes around - betting it will get a lot better.

My take on the rotation outside of the starters is when RP is playing like he did in the first half (that’s who I always thought he was) then their is not going to be minutes for Lander.  He will not always be a DNP but I don’t see him getting a lot of minutes.  Bates is going to play a lot - the kid has been injured and not practicing but the potential is obvious.  Trey is going to play (I know not everyone here will like it but I like Trey more than most).  Jordan G is going to have to play a lot better especially when Durr is back if he wants to continue to see playing time.

Well there has to be a reason…players don’t just continually regress with their shooting. It’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. Year over year, shooting gets worse and right now there remains only one constant over the past 4 years.

So where do we go with this when we inevitably raise our 16% 3pt shooting? As long as these guys aren’t doing hard strength sessions the day of the game, there’s really nothing he’s doing that is the primary cause of these shooting woes. Strength doesn’t translate to inaccuracy, poor form, or poor self efficacy. With the reps/shots these guys are getting up daily their mechanics and muscle memory will adapt fine regardless of their strength.

A lack of strength, however, gets you outmuscled on the block and 2nd place for loose balls.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

The wrong people are taking the shots. Why are Race and Phinisee putting up 9 3’s collectively when neither are really good at it.

that’s more than Stewart and Kopp collectively. That needs to change

Absolutely correct. 

Getting a big lead and then eking out at the end for a win and maybe not a win has been an IU trademark for years now. Need to break that cycle now…. For good!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

13 hours ago, mamasa said:

Dead @$$ crowd. Half aren’t even watching the game.

The two guys next to me were standing in the final few minutes, as were several in our section (EE, row 1 balcony).  There were actually about 10 students and 5 or 6 old dudes yelling at them to sit down (they students were part of the "not watching the game" coalition, and the old guys were absolutely furious).   I yelled back for them to be a fan and stand and support the team.  I never thought I'd see a day in Assembly Hall, opening night, with a new coach, when fans were being harassed to sit down.  Embarrassing.  I noticed that the student section were really booing EMU players when introduced.  I know it's a sporting event, but I'm not a fan of that. I know it's a double standard, as sometimes it's expected (player has trash talked, or a big rival game, but I've never seen us boo a "neutral" team that loudly. I completely understand that I'm old, and of a different mindset than most, but...

They won. That's what really matters. From a coaching standpoint t's better to win close against a bad team and find things to work on than lose or have a blowout. The biggest thing I see right now is that guys haven't figured out their roles and how to play together. That only comes from game play plus Woody has them playing a different style and theirs several new guys. It will take time but you don't want them to peak to early and fizzle out down the stretch which happens. The best thing to do is just watch and see what adjustments and progress is made over the next few weeks leading into B1G play. 

14 minutes ago, mamasa said:

The two guys next to me were standing in the final few minutes, as were several in our section (EE, row 1 balcony).  There were actually about 10 students and 5 or 6 old dudes yelling at them to sit down (they students were part of the "not watching the game" coalition, and the old guys were absolutely furious).   I yelled back for them to be a fan and stand and support the team.  I never thought I'd see a day in Assembly Hall, opening night, with a new coach, when fans were being harassed to sit down.  Embarrassing.  I noticed that the student section were really booing EMU players when introduced.  I know it's a sporting event, but I'm not a fan of that. I know it's a double standard, as sometimes it's expected (player has trash talked, or a big rival game, but I've never seen us boo a "neutral" team that loudly. I completely understand that I'm old, and of a different mindset than most, but...

How did the crowd end up size wise? I saw a friend’s picture from later in the game and it looked like a pretty good crowd given the 6:00 start, the directional school opponent, and the absolute mess that is 37. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

How did the crowd end up size wise? I saw a friend’s picture from later in the game and it looked like a pretty good crowd given the 6:00 start, the directional school opponent, and the absolute mess that is 37. 

I'm absolutely terrible with estimates, but the balcony on my side was probably 60% full, while the opposite wide was maybe 15% full.  Lower level was pretty full.  

33 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

Getting a big lead and then eking out at the end for a win and maybe not a win has been an IU trademark for years now. Need to break that cycle now…. For good!

Isn’t Woodsons offense predicated on 4 people being shooters?  If we don’t have 4 shooters that’s a problem. I would argue that a senior guard that can’t shoot in college basketball is somebody who shouldn’t see the court 

12 hours ago, Whoozhers said:

I cannot believe TJD isn’t any better this year hitting free throws.
THAT has got to change. He’s going to get to the line a lot.

Takes after Dale.  Like father like son.

Edited by Doctor Jones

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

One concern for the long haul of Woody's offense is in the NBA everyone can basically shoot, but in College that is not the case. We have to recruit some shooters for this offense. Or do a really good job developing shooters. Just a concern in the next few years. 

Absolutely agree 100%.  I just have doubts that developing/teaching shooting will work.  It'll be interesting to see if Woodson alters his offense to accomodate our shooting limitations.

The good thing is that guys like Leal, Stewart, and Kopp (& perhaps Geronimo) have shown ability to hit from deep and may improve in the new system.

In the entire, poor-shooting Miller era, 125 games, IU shot as bad or worse than last night from three eleven times. They went 3-8 in those games.

So under a coach who seemingly could not figure out how to develop or recruit shooting, a performance last night happened about 9% of the time.

I think IU will shoot better under Woody and this staff. Having an off night yesterday from 3 wasn’t the only concern but it was the biggest one, by far, and they still one.

A night that bad happens probably two or three times a year…you just hope it hits when you’re healthy, against a weaker opponent, and when nothing else goes sideways.

Don’t sweat it.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Would really have liked to see Leal and Lander play. Think Leal could have given us more than Galloway. Really want to see Landers improvement as well. 

I would have liked to see both as well. Trey plays better D than Leal so his playing time is going to be more, plus he's a better ball handler IMO but I think I would have liked both. Right now Woodson said we're going with a 9 person lineup and neither has made the top 9. But I think we see both Friday night. 

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Absolutely agree 100%.  I just have doubts that developing/teaching shooting will work.  It'll be interesting to see if Woodson alters his offense to accomodate our shooting limitations.

The good thing is that guys like Leal, Stewart, and Kopp (& perhaps Geronimo) have shown ability to hit from deep and may improve in the new system.

But have we recruited anyone who can shoot is my question for the next few years?

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

In the entire, poor-shooting Miller era, 125 games, IU shot as bad or worse than last night from three eleven times. They went 3-8 in those games.

So under a coach who seemingly could not figure out how to develop or recruit shooting, a performance last night happened about 9% of the time.

I think IU will shoot better under Woody and this staff. Having an off night yesterday from 3 wasn’t the only concern but it was the biggest one, by far, and they still one.

A night that bad happens probably two or three times a year…you just hope it hits when you’re healthy, against a weaker opponent, and when nothing else goes sideways.

Don’t sweat it.

CBB as a hole last night shot the 3 at 31% I saw this morning. SO maybe it was first-game jitters for everyone. But I would have been thrilled for us to be at 31% last night.