Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: vs. Eastern Michigan 11/9 - 6 pm - BTN

I, for one, am not worried about this team.  I, also, am not worried about the new coach.  

TJD,  and Race are as good as last year.  Maybe better.  They are clicking together and loose.  Sure, TJD needs to improve his FTs.  And Race needs to get better on 3's and rebound lots.

Guard improvement is happening.  Phin looked lots better, albeit just the first half.  Tamar Bates is interesting and has quickness and a head for the ball.  Patrick Stewart has talent and so does X.  

They came out of the blocks quickly.  But they lost focus in the 2nd half.  Shot selection will improve.  The experimentation of different lineups will settle down.  Improvements will likely happen in shooting percentages and rebounds.

Taking a step back...they do need to learn how to win.  And our coaches know how to do that.  It is a teaching opportunity.

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

How did the crowd end up size wise? I saw a friend’s picture from later in the game and it looked like a pretty good crowd given the 6:00 start, the directional school opponent, and the absolute mess that is 37. 

When I went to the OSU football game I had no problem getting to Bloomington from Indy.  I just took 67 past Martinsville and then got onto 69. 

Yep still disappointed today. After everything we heard from people who have seen practice and from the exhibition and Bahamas i was hoping for better. I literally can't think of one thing we did better than last season but I can think of something we did worse and that was rebound which is alarming. Praying Friday is better just for peace of mind

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ap2345 said:

It's also likely an affect from them moving the 3 point line back as well. It will take some games for players to get adjusted to shooting from that distance in game. 

They haven't changed the distance in the last few years.

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Yep still disappointed today. After everything we heard from people who have seen practice and from the exhibition and Bahamas i was hoping for better. I literally can't think of one thing we did better than last season but I can think of something we did worse and that was rebound which is alarming. Praying Friday is better just for peace of mind

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Going to be a bit tougher than we maybe thought. No Illinois beat Washington last night on the road.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Washington was really bad last year lost two games similar to this one and didnt get any better in the off season. I think well be ok. 

yeah I knew they were bad but didn't realize they went 5-21 last year with losses to Montana and UC Riverside. Yikes

42 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Going to be a bit tougher than we maybe thought. So Illinois beat Wahington last night on the road.

Strange game.  Northern Illinois turned it over 20 times and got out rebounded by 14…..Northern only had three offensive rebounds — Washington had 27, including 12 by one player.  But Washington couldn’t shoot a lick — 20 of 75 from the field and 21 of 36 from the line.

@Hoosierfan2017 I just hid your last post.  Not because there was anything wrong with its content but we're going to do all we can to keep game threads to just that -- about the game and not let them drift off into other topics.  We have a thread (Coronavirus and Sports Only) that would be the appropriate place for your post if you wish to re-post it.

I'm not despondent, but solidly disappointed. Eastern Michigan is not that good. Granted Farrakan couldn't miss for a stretch, but the IU offense is my concern. As we saw last year, everyone will double TJD...then what? He made a couple of nice passes to Race, that is a good start. You gotta punish teams for over-committing. SOMEONE has to consistently hit 3's, especially WIDE OPEN looks. My hope/guess was it would be Stewart and Kopp. Unfortunately last night Trey, Race & X were hoisting them up instead. It was the first game so won't read too much into it, I guess. 

4 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Absolutely agree 100%.  I just have doubts that developing/teaching shooting will work.  It'll be interesting to see if Woodson alters his offense to accomodate our shooting limitations.

The good thing is that guys like Leal, Stewart, and Kopp (& perhaps Geronimo) have shown ability to hit from deep and may improve in the new system.

Yeah I think developing shooters in college is super rare.  At least in kids who have been playing basketball for awhile.  

There is more than enough coaching talent on the bench to figure this team out. These early games will reveal things that practice won't. This team will learn and get better because I believe we have the right people leading the program. Patience is our friend right now.

To be honest my biggest gripes were tempo (way too slow) and some of the shot selection from what I thought was very lazy offense.  This is going to sound a little like Dr. Suess....but...

Bad shooters (Galloway, Thompson, etc) taking bad shots is awful.  Bad shooters taking good shots is better, good shooters taking bad shots is tolerable; and I don't know that we have good shooters to take good shots, but if all we take are good shots, I'm okay with it

Will be interesting to see how that develops, but right now, we are a wretched half court team.

I thought early on when we got up 8-0 that it should have been closer to 16-0. We will continue to put teams away because we don’t have above average offense.

I was hoping to see us push the pace but didn’t. I was hoping to see good and quick ball movement but didn’t. I was hoping to see good player movement but didn’t.

I get that our defense is ahead of our offense but there are things that should be happening as a foundation that we didn’t do last night. Woody has many things he can point to after the first game to clean up.

Johnson needs to settle down too. He had a handful of questionable decisions in a short spurt in the first half that allowed EMU to hang around.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

I'm not despondent, but solidly disappointed. Eastern Michigan is not that good. Granted Farrakan couldn't miss for a stretch, but the IU offense is my concern. As we saw last year, everyone will double TJD...then what? He made a couple of nice passes to Race, that is a good start. You gotta punish teams for over-committing. SOMEONE has to consistently hit 3's, especially WIDE OPEN looks. My hope/guess was it would be Stewart and Kopp. Unfortunately last night Trey, Race & X were hoisting them up instead. It was the first game so won't read too much into it, I guess. 

Maybe EMU is 'not that good'.  But they have 10 new players and a new head coach.  The pre-season ranking on EMU and others really doesn't mean a thing.  Did people notice the players that they added.  Some good ones.  

I like the fact that EMU challenged IU.  I don't like the fact that IU faded.  Not surprised.  Hope that gets fixed.

We start this year with a new coach, a new scheme, new players in a stadium with fans that hadn't been happening.  Unknowns are: who will be the point guard starter; who will be the shooting guard; who on this team can shoot; will Race extend and/or rebound; will TJD extend and go right and play defense and hustle; what will the defense look like; will they play sharp on every play; screens; pick and roll; assists; penetrate and dish; rebound; block out; foul out; be stupid; call timely timeouts; have lockerroom issues; will coaches teach;  etc.? We do not know. 

We now have a sample.  Much too small a sample size to know much.

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

One concern for the long haul of Woody's offense is in the NBA everyone can basically shoot, but in College that is not the case. We have to recruit some shooters for this offense. Or do a really good job developing shooters. Just a concern in the next few years. 

Was one of my biggest concerns when hiring him. He’s used to coaching / teaching the best players in the world. Recruiting is hard, especially in mens basketball. Even then, you’re not getting NBA talent at Indiana often. TJD is borderline NBA / G league for comparison.