Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

59 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yeah, I don’t see that at all. His best bet is to let Woodson carve him as a TJD clone for NBA. TJD is proving there are roles for guys like that. 

Maybe you have seen something I haven’t but he is not an NBA “4” no matter how hard he works. 

They (Queen & TJD) aren’t even close to the same type of player imho. I don’t see the comparison. Queen’s best comp is Jokic. Not saying he will ever be that good or impactful on the game but their styles are similar. Both big bodied, plodding bigs, who get by on skill, not athleticism. Guys who can change the game with their ability to pass and see the floor. If Woody can convince him that he can develop him more in that mold, it’s a more realistic sell. 

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Only one not signing today from MV. Still say if it is Maryland, like some imply, what is the hold up. Even his mom is there. 

Interesting to see both moms take the pick with those 2 and didn’t see any other duo pics like this posted. 

0A52FE5F-4187-48F4-8169-4C2C71A71EB3.jpeg

51DA4DE2-371C-435D-A6F7-167DF0A906C2.jpeg

Just because they are extremely close friends (and they clearly are) does not mean that they don't want to have their own individual college experience. 

I had extremely close high school friends, but I wanted to chart my own path for college. I know it's different with guys that will play ball together, but in many ways it's still the same.

5 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Oh for sure, not sure how you got anything different from my comments. Maybe he wants to maybe he doesn’t. 

all I was saying it that entire team is signing but he isn’t. Just odd. Why the hold up? If Maryland has been the favorite all along (according to many) this should be done. 

Then my other comment is there was no other duo pic.  He didn’t take this duo pic Flagg or the others and know he and Flagg are pretty close too. Just shows how close they are which I am sure is a big part of the issue here. 

I agree that if Maryland were the clear favorite, seems like he would have announced by now. The longer this drags out the better for IU or maybe a sleeper team. For arguments sake, let's say he was an IU favorite early on, I would be nervous. Could mean nothing at all though. I guess we'll find out sooner than later. Unlike the Archie years, I am not as worried about recruiting tbh. 

59 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Only one not signing today from MV. Still say if it is Maryland, like some imply, what is the hold up. Even his mom is there. 

Interesting to see both moms take the pick with those 2 and didn’t see any other duo pics like this posted. 

It's a fair question, but I would also ask "If it's IU, what's the hold-up?" Makes me think he's genuinely torn. Unfortunately, for us seems in most of those situations they choose the sentimental favorite instead of IU. 

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

It's a fair question, but I would also ask "If it's IU, what's the hold-up?" Makes me think he's genuinely torn. Unfortunately, for us seems in most of those situations they choose the sentimental favorite instead of IU. 

To me, if he is torn I feel better about that as an IU fan than I would as a Maryland fan. Feels like in that situation he probably has a connection to the Maryland staff that has been recruiting him for so long and it's closer to home, but the situation at IU is something that he feels just makes more sense as far as fit and what he wants to accomplish.

He could end up choosing Maryland but I think that in general IU makes more sense for him as a basketball player.

44 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

To me, if he is torn I feel better about that as an IU fan than I would as a Maryland fan. Feels like in that situation he probably has a connection to the Maryland staff that has been recruiting him for so long and it's closer to home, but the situation at IU is something that he feels just makes more sense as far as fit and what he wants to accomplish.

He could end up choosing Maryland but I think that in general IU makes more sense for him as a basketball player.

Wondering if he is wanting to watch us play a little more now that TJD is gone.  Woody has said he preferred a different style so I could see him waiting to see what that looks like. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Interesting that mom is in FL

I believe he's said he wants to sign during the early signing period so he could announce a school any day within the next week. She is probably there for when that happens. He didn't announce/sign yesterday but she could've come there "early" to support his good friend Liam McNeeley. Queen stayed with the McNeeleys one summer so he's obviously close with that family so it would make sense for McNeeley to also be close to the Queens.

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Not a rim protector or elite athlete. Relies on next level footwork for their primary scoring area in the low post. In theory both are excellent high and low post passers, though Malik didn’t show that last night.

To me it seems that Malik is the top 50 version of that player and Queen is the five star version.

I see Queen's comp more along the lines of Thomas Bryant than either TJD or Reneau.

I know this recruitment is a bit odd, however....I wonder if he is wanting to see both IU and Maryland play a few games first and see how he could be utilized on both teams? Maryland plays #22 'Nova on Nov. 17th, IU plays #6 UCONN on Nov. 19th then IU vs. Maryland on December 1st. Who knows......I thought I would take a stab at it.. JMO