Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

3 hours ago, pumpfake said:

I get a bit amused about the "kid wants to get all the facts and make the right decision".  Sure, they need to do their due diligence and be confident in their ultimate choice, but you can analyze & debate a decision until the cows come home and still be wrong.

If I'm CMW or UM's coach, I definitely start beating the bushes for other players.  Not saying give up on DQ, but don't sit passively by for one recruit that can't decide.

Agree. 100%. Woody and IU have made their case to Queen. He's welcome to join us. Or not. His choice... but time to be forming a solid backup plan... With NIL and the portal, it's nowhere near a dire situation, but at this point, either he comes or he doesn't, and Woody et al need to have a plan moving forward, either way. And that plan cannot be just sitting by the phone hoping we get a date to the prom.

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Agree. 100%. Woody and IU have made their case to Queen. He's welcome to join us, or not. His choice... but time to be forming a solid backup plan... With NIL and the portal, it's nowhere near a dire situation, but at this point, either he comes or he doesn't, and Woody et al need to have a plan forward either way. And that plan cannot be just sitting by the phone hoping we get a date to the prom.

Well said!  I say we move on but passively recruit him.  Putting all of our eggs in 3 baskets only works 33% of the time!

35 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I get a bit amused about the "kid wants to get all the facts and make the right decision".  Sure, they need to do their due diligence and be confident in their ultimate choice, but you can analyze & debate a decision until the cows come home and still be wrong.

If I'm CMW or UM's coach, I definitely start beating the bushes for other players.  Not saying give up on DQ, but don't sit passively by for one recruit that can't decide.

It seems he has an indecisive personality, I say we move on!  100% agree with your comments.

6 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

The reply was not just at you. The reply was addressing your comment on not being all about Liam. Never said it was. Just one thing others can’t offer. Heck, maybe that is the one reason he keeps thinking IU. We have no idea. He did say they are “brothers” though. 

My other comments were at the rapid negative thoughts by so many. Don’t think you have been. Some sure are reading into this a lot and reading into it in a way that doesn’t seem logical if you were to place odds. 

Alec and few other media guys said “sources” are saying it is all about IU vs Maryland and he can’t decide. Sources could be wrong but seems like if you combine logic with those sources there is more positive in this than negative. 

I don't disagree that it is likely IU v. Maryland right now.  But that doesn't mean that is what it will necessarily be what it is all about come spring.  New factors can emerge.  Three things could have happened:

1.  He committed to IU in the fall.

2.  He committed elsewhere (Maryland) in the fall.

3.  He did not commit and therefore it won't come until the spring.

If you are IU, #1 is the best option and #2 is the worst.  If you are Maryland, #2 is the best and #1 is the worst.  But #3 does not mean that #1 or #2 will happen in the spring.  Even if right now Queen sees himself either going to IU or Maryland doesn't mean that will be the case in the spring

22 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In tonight's 118-28 win over South Florida I had Derik with 14p on a perfect 7-7 from the field; 7r; 2a; 3s.

Think you meant South Lake.  Anyway, it looks like it was a 'preseason' game, so just an exhibition game against a local high school before they go on to play their actual national competition.

FWIW, South Lake actually went 16-11 last year and play in Florida's largest class (6A) I believe.  Enrollment over 2,000.  But playing against a team like Montverde is just another level.

25 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Think you meant South Lake.  Anyway, it looks like it was a 'preseason' game, so just an exhibition game against a local high school before they go on to play their actual national competition.

FWIW, South Lake actually went 16-11 last year and play in Florida's largest class (6A) I believe.  Enrollment over 2,000.  But playing against a team like Montverde is just another level.

Yes South Lake.  I was so tired last night after raking leaves for 6 hours it's a wonder I could even find the keyboard on my laptop.

Definirely a much higher caliber of opponent but Montverde defeated Huntsville (AL) 78-51.  Rough shooting night for Liam finishing with only 6p and just 1-6 on 3s.  But he added 6r; 4a; 1b.  Queen 12p; 3r; 5a; 1s.  Both played approximately 20 min.

Derik had a sweet wrap around pass in the lane to a teammate for an easy layup and in addtion to his stat line, he also grabbed the mop and mopped sweat off the floor at one point in the game.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Definirely a much higher caliber of opponent but Montverde defeated Huntsville (AL) 78-51.  Rough shooting night for Liam finishing with only 6p and just 1-6 on 3s.  But he added 6r; 4a; 1b.  Queen 12p; 3r; 5a; 1s.  Both played approximately 20 min.

Derik had a sweet wrap around pass in the lane to a teammate for an easy layup and in addtion to his stat line, he also grabbed the mop and mopped sweat off the floor at one point in the game.

Made a catch on, I believe, his 1st basket, that was just awesome and he made it look like no big deal. There may not be a better physical trait in HS basketball than Derik Queen’s hands. That kid catches everything.