Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

As to #3 I agree to a degree. IU is a lot of expectations with little positive momentum making it less attractive, but I think the days of UK, Duke,  UNC  just plucking anyone are gone. Does Beard take Duke over Texas? Does Oates leave Bama for UNC? I don't thik so. The money at these programs will be there to retain a good coach. Name me a coach that left a successful P5  program for a blueblood without connection in the last 2 decades.

Gonzaga is the hottest program in the country right now. You can win anywhere if you can convince kids to play for you.

Just now, Bobman1 said:

Just let me know when I can get my golden ticket to get on board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

LOL. 

We'll see what the remaining coach staff is. I don't know if we should go all Indiana staff. I mean that's kinda.. weird right lol.

Maybe Lewis.. is Roberts staying? Curious about Hunter

Ryan Phillips tweet:

Just got texts from several Big Ten contacts. Most are lambasting the Woodson hire. One summed it up pretty well: “So a 63 yr old who’s never coached in college or recruited is the guy to rebuild that program? They could have done so much better. Indiana gonna Indiana.” #iubb

----------------------------------------------------------

Anybody who believes this guy is connected, give me a call, I've got some primo swamp land that is a "sure thing" for high end development. Arrogant SOB

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

LOL. 

We'll see what the remaining coach staff is. I don't know if we should go all Indiana staff. I mean that's kinda.. weird right lol.

Maybe Lewis.. is Roberts staying? Curious about Hunter

I think we need at least one of Fife or Lewis and let Woodson put together a monster recruiter. 

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

4 thoughts:

1. The hire an IU guy crowd gets their wish. They will be right or we can stop this rhetoric finally. Granted it’ll cost me 4-6 years of my life.

2. Thad Matta angle is certainly interesting. Seems like a positive no matter how it goes. It’s odd for Matta to agree to. Therefore, Probably getting overpaid. Can he provide ROI? Let’s see.

3. IU isn’t a blue blood anymore. It’s been up for debate for a while. This question is answered.

4. Probably a 6-8 year hire at best. Another chance at a premier coach at that time. Or more likely it’ll be the same old, same old. Maybe a coach in waiting situation if this group can be successful. Geez.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Looks to me like the coach in waiting is Thad Matta as he (hopefully) returns to better health. In 7 years when Woodson retires, Matta will be younger than Woodson is right now by 3 years!

I’m being serious btw.

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

I think we need at least one of Fife or Lewis and let Woodson put together a monster recruiter. 

Can he bring World Wide Wes with him? (Knicks advisor currently) 

Wait, is he banned from the NCAA or am i making this up? 

Steven’s wasn’t ready. No disrespect to woodsons ability to coach colleg kids, I hope he and we are successful, but maybe he wants the job AND is taking one for his team. He could be associate associate athletic director when Brad decides to come back to college. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Counter to “Woodson is old”:

I can guarantee he didn’t sign on for some 3-year rebuild. He’s going to hit the transfer market HARD and be ready to compete THIS season. He’s going to go all in and it’ll either totally fail (very possible!), or there will be a lot of people extremely happy with the risky hire. 

Can we please start with our own players? Convince Frank and Race to stay, those are two I'd really hate to lose

I wonder if the assistants are already in place and if they will be announced with the formal announcement as well. You have to think these positions had been discussed and decided on when your hiring a 63 year old with no college experience.

7 minutes ago, Treesh said:

That's more of the Knicks being dumb for blowing it up and firing him. That's also when Roy Hibbert was a starting NBA center. Times have changed. 

"Times have changed" is really irrelevant to the conversation...He was able to coach 2 woeful franchises to winning records when other coaches couldn't...

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Counter to “Woodson is old”:

I can guarantee he didn’t sign on for some 3-year rebuild. He’s going to hit the transfer market HARD and be ready to compete THIS season. He’s going to go all in and it’ll either totally fail (very possible!), or there will be a lot of people extremely happy with the risky hire. 

Got a feeling we are going to have a star studded staff. If Thad Matta joins the program and he’s not even on the staff, that signals to me they are getting serious. Can’t wait to see what the roster looks like for next season. 

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Can we please start with our own players? Convince Frank and Race to stay, those are two I'd really hate to lose

Definitely agree! But I think it’s just a numbers game really; we’ll have a few spots to fill at least.