Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

2 minutes ago, JMett94 said:

Steven’s wasn’t ready. No disrespect to woodsons ability to coach colleg kids, I hope he and we are successful, but maybe he wants the job AND is taking one for his team. He could be associate associate athletic director when Brad decides to come back to college. 

Lol that’s not how it works. He’ll be coach as long as he wants if he wins. And if he doesn’t win, he’ll be fired. That’s it. 

No secret BradAnon plans. 

1 minute ago, Moye > Boozer said:

Looks to me like the coach in waiting is Thad Matta as he (hopefully) returns to better health. In 7 years when Woodson retires, Matta will be younger than Woodson is right now by 3 years!

I’m being serious btw.

IMO, not likely.  Matta appears to have permanent health issues from his back problems.  If that was the "plan" I'd consider it a greater risk than hiring Mike Woodson.

This is Dolson going "outside the box", or at least against conventional wisdom.  I like the idea (unless it fails).

My initial reaction - disappointment. I wanted Muss, Beard (who I think is UT-bound) or Oats. Because we know what we would be getting right away with any of them.

But getting past that, I’m cautiously optimistic 

Woodson is a very good NBA coach, can’t just look at records if you follow the League you’ve seen him get a lot of good performances out of mediocre and ok teams, and he’s widely respected which is why he is in staff now. 

Many thought the Howard hiring by UM was an underwhelming or dumb hire, how much college coaching and recruiting experience did he have? Hindsight. 

Woodson brings immediate NBA pedigree combined with a strong Hoosier legacy. He’ll recruit fine. He’ll talk about the guys he’s coached and played with and, golly, parents and coaches are heavily involved in the recruiting process it’s not like some 16 year old just says Mike who? And that really underestimates what recruits are looking at, they are doing their own homework, basically all of them are attuned to NBA connections and that’s a big plus, shouldn’t underestimate it. 

No idea If he’ll succeed, it is somewhat risky, but he already has support coming in and it could turn out really well. Dude can coach, dude will command immediate respect. So I’m going to go in hopeful 

Edited by HoosierHoopster

5 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I want Nate Oats

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not disagreeing, but what made you think that was possible?

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

Got a feeling we are going to have a star studded staff. If Thad Matta joins the program and he’s not even on the staff, that signals to me they are getting serious. Can’t wait to see what the roster looks like for next season. 

THIS. Matta wants to coach, apparently cant due to health. Says to Dolson, find me a position to help Woody, Dolson obliges. To me, the rest of the staff is really intriguing. I have a feeling a lot of sour folks will be coming around to the Coach MW train. 

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Counter to “Woodson is old”:

I can guarantee he didn’t sign on for some 3-year rebuild. He’s going to hit the transfer market HARD and be ready to compete THIS season. He’s going to go all in and it’ll either totally fail (very possible!), or there will be a lot of people extremely happy with the risky hire. 

Plus, what few people are even talking about... Woodson is an IU grad. He's coming home to coach his alma mater. This is just a risky move for him as it is for IU. I mean, he fails, how do you think that will play out in B-town? How do you think his reputation will take a hit? On the surface, this hire looks really baffling, but when you step back and start thinking about it, could very well be a stroke of genius.

I've thought about this more.  We hired a guy in his 60s with no college coaching experience.  The guy that knows what he's doing can't coach or recruit in his role.  Brilliant.  Now I want Lewis AND Fife...and a headstone for the program.