Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Did I just go through the Twilight Zone?  Was in a different thread and got to this one about 20 pages behind!  Did someone merge 2 threads?
Happened to me too. And now my timeline is empty. I can only see what I've participated in. I'm on tapatalk for what that's worth.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

For those that are cold on Beilein just keep in mind if he is your floor for a coach then that’s a pretty good floor.    I get that age is a big factor but not even 4 years ago he was getting talked about as one of the best coaches in the game at that time especially offensively.   Hamilton for FSU just signed an 4 extension and he is 72.  

IU needs a person that can change the culture and get it back on track to be a winning program.  While not ideal for some people on here I will just point out the following 
The last 2 years he coached in college he went 
1. 33-8 (13-5) and lost in the national title game 
2. 30-7 (15-5) and lost in the sweet 16
iu has had 1 30 win season in the last 27 years. (92-93).  

of course he isn’t the long term answer but he just might change culture enough in his short years to make it more attractive for the next guy and he is such an excellent coach in my opinion he could win big.  A great coach failing at something like he did in the NBA would make me think he would bust it at wherever he is at to prove how good of coach he is 
This! All day long and into next week

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, IUCane said:

would you feel better paying a 10mm buyout to then pay a 12mm buyout to hire Nate Oates???

Should've just brought Archie back if it's Beilein.  I can't imagine Dolson would hire him.  I think he has his guy.  Fans will tune out if it's Beeline.

1 minute ago, IUCane said:

would you feel better paying a 10mm buyout to then pay a 12mm buyout to hire Nate Oates???

No. John beilein is almost 70 years old and was just fired after about 20 games in the nba for calling players thugs. You don’t think other coaches will use that against him in recruiting? 

Count me as a skeptic to Stevens coming to IU. But that won't keep me from keeping from longing for it until Dolson announces that he's hired a coach. 

If there's any tracks to this Stevens talk -- if -- is it wise to wait until June to name a head coach? Dolson claimed we won't see him until he's ready to announce that he's hired a coach. Would he really hide out until June??? 

Should've just brought Archie back if it's Beilein.  I can't imagine Dolson would hire him.  I think he has his guy.  Fans will tune out if it's Beeline.
No they won't. I don't want Beilein either but only because he's a short term solution. People will tune in I promise. Now to say the hire would be underwhelming given what a frenzy everyone has gotten themselves into is fair but as I feared at this point I think people will be underwhelmed with anything other than Stevens and that's just silly.

4 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

No. John beilein is almost 70 years old and was just fired after about 20 games in the nba for calling players thugs. You don’t think other coaches will use that against him in recruiting? 

Other coaches wouldn’t be sound their job unless they were trying to gain an advantage trying to get a recruit but the question would remain does 1 bad instant in the NBA take away from his results in college all those years.   Before he was hired Dolson is going to have be satisfied with an answer to what was done in the NBA.  Recruits want to play for a winner and someone that can get them to the NBA.   He has done both quite regularly in his last 5 years of college coaching. 

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

No they won't. I don't want Beilein either but only because he's a short term solution. People will tune in I promise. Now to say the hire would be underwhelming given what a frenzy everyone has gotten themselves into is fair but as I feared at this point I think people will be underwhelmed with anything other than Stevens and that's just silly.

He's obviously a great coach.  But the time to hire him was 13 years ago.  Heard we almost had him.

Man, if you really want to get angry go to the R/Collegebasketball threads(Reddit) and read what other fans are saying about  our coaching search. No one wants to believe that we can be good again and they think it is utterly ridiculous that we would even think we might have a shot at Brad.

"Indiana basketball reminds me of Tennessee football in that they think they have way more pulling power than they actually have"

"Indiana is a job for someone who wants to take the risk of being a basketball god, at the potential cost of getting fired for only winning the conference."

And my personal favorite....

" At the end of the day I think you get Beilein, Musselman or Pikiell but that doesn't mean you've got your person to agree to it yet. "

Count me as a skeptic to Stevens coming to IU. But that won't keep me from keeping from longing for it until Dolson announces that he's hired a coach. 
If there's any tracks to this Stevens talk -- if -- is it wise to wait until June to name a head coach? Dolson claimed we won't see him until he's ready to announce that he's hired a coach. Would he really hide out until June??? 
Count me as a skeptic also. I would love to see BS come to IU. I'm just not going to get my hopes up based on an social media posts like I did for awhile last time around.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, madmax said:

Man, if you really want to get angry go to the R/Collegebasketball threads(Reddit) and read what other fans are saying about  our coaching search. No one wants to believe that we can be good again and they think it is utterly ridiculous that we would even think we might have a shot at Brad.

"Indiana basketball reminds me of Tennessee football in that they think they have way more pulling power than they actually have"

"Indiana is a job for someone who wants to take the risk of being a basketball god, at the potential cost of getting fired for only winning the conference."

And my personal favorite....

" At the end of the day I think you get Beilein, Musselman or Pikiell but that doesn't mean you've got your person to agree to it yet. "

"Indiana is a job for someone who wants to take the risk of being a basketball god, at the potential cost of getting fired for only winning the conference."---Tom Crean

31 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

For those that are cold on Beilein just keep in mind if he is your floor for a coach then that’s a pretty good floor.    I get that age is a big factor but not even 4 years ago he was getting talked about as one of the best coaches in the game at that time especially offensively.   Hamilton for FSU just signed an 4 extension and he is 72.  

IU needs a person that can change the culture and get it back on track to be a winning program.  While not ideal for some people on here I will just point out the following 

The last 2 years he coached in college he went 

1. 33-8 (13-5) and lost in the national title game 

2. 30-7 (15-5) and lost in the sweet 16

iu has had 1 30 win season in the last 27 years. (92-93).  

of course he isn’t the long term answer but he just might change culture enough in his short years to make it more attractive for the next guy and he is such an excellent coach in my opinion he could win big.  A great coach failing at something like he did in the NBA would make me think he would bust it at wherever he is at to prove how good of coach he is 

It's the thought of having to go through another coaching change that worries me about Beilein.  He's 68.  RMK retired at that age, so it's conceivable that he might not coach past the terms of his first contract.  IMO, he's pretty close to a guarantee to get the program turned around and headed in the right direction, so that's in his favor.

You watch a ton of CBB - do you think the players we have returning are a good fit for his system? With one recruit signed for next year, it may be very important that the new coach's style of play fit what he inherits unless he can thrive in the transfer market.

Like a lot of things in life, timing is key and something we have little control over.