Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This style would bring the fans back. Heck, Crean ran a fun offense, except against the zone. Give me some transition basketball. Give me some back cuts/off ball movement. Don’t be afraid to shoot open threes. Archie is trying to program them too much. Zapped the fun out of the creativity.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Even our wins are hard to watch most of the time because of Archie’s system. Crean’s teams could be infuriating because they wouldn’t play defense, but they were at least fun to watch. Crean’s last year here we averaged 80 ppg and shot 38% from 3 as a team on 23 attempts. This year we averaged 70 ppg and shot 32% from 3 on 18 attempts. And we didn’t even have a good defense to make up for it. 

I agree. Times have changed. Doing things the "right" way will get you nothing. 

Give me Pearl, Drew, Sampson - I don't care. They win. That's all that matters. That's why everyone LOVES Brad. He wins AND does it the right way. Coaches like that don't come along very often.

At this point, I want Pitino. Don’t care about his past. We’d WIN...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oats...yes
Drew...yes
Mack...yes
Stevens....yes
Donovan....yes
Beard....yes
Musselman...yes
Pearl...no — can obviously coach but no sanctions, please
Matta...yes — if he’s healthy I think this is an interesting option
Alford.... no 
Stuhoo’s Gates....yes
Beilein..... yes (but I’d do some digging on how recruiting might go and how he’d be received by the current team. he made a mistake in what he said but I doubt anyone thinks it’s reflective of his deepest held convictions)
Fife...yes
Enfield.....yes
Wes Miller...yes though I’m less convinced he’s a can’t-miss P5 winner than some

I agree with the Beilein sentiment. I honestly am surprised at how many people on here are saying “nope” to him. He’s an old, proven coach who could get the program back on track.

I believe this program needs, right now, someone who makes basketball exciting again while getting us back to the Tournament consistently. After that, this job will become a lot more attractive in 5 or so years.

Beilein could be the perfect candidate assuming recruits/high schools-aged kids would not be turned away from his short stint in Cleveland.

44 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Oats...yes
Drew...yes
Mack...yes
Stevens....yes
Donovan....yes
Beard....yes
Musselman...yes
Pearl...no — can obviously coach but no sanctions, please
Matta...yes — if he’s healthy I think this is an interesting option
Alford.... no 
Stuhoo’s Gates....yes
Beilein..... yes (but I’d do some digging on how recruiting might go and how he’d be received by the current team. he made a mistake in what he said but I doubt anyone thinks it’s reflective of his deepest held convictions)
Fife...yes
Enfield.....yes
Wes Miller...yes though I’m less convinced he’s a can’t-miss P5 winner than some

To spice up the conversation...what are the group's thoughts about the following candidates:

Willard (Seton Hall)...

Cooley (Providence)...

Tomorrow is big. The first opportunity for Dolson to fire Archie was right after our loss to Rutgers. The next real opportunity is tomorrow. There will be more opportunities thereafter of course but tomorrow is a good time to do it if ready 

Tomorrow is big. The first opportunity for Dolson to fire Archie was right after our loss to Rutgers. The next real opportunity is tomorrow. There will be more opportunities thereafter of course but tomorrow is a good time to do it if ready 
I would be fine with right now as well..

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Neither deserve a mention. 

Probably fair, but I do wonder what Cooley could with Indiana's resources.  Consistently wins 19+ games and gets his squads into the tournament in a big boy conference often times with arguably lesser talent.  I don't see him as the savior, but his teams play real hard and deliver.

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

Who’s the better candidate

Oats or Mussleman?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think they're pretty even but I'd go Oats. He's only 46 which gives him the edge for me. His team was better this year and I like his system and personality a little more than Musselmans. I was watching the Arkansas game yesterday and they were talking about some of Musselman's motivational tactics and some of them seemed pretty cheesy and would be laughed at if they were losing. 

5 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Probably fair, but I do wonder what Cooley could with Indiana's resources.  Consistently wins 19+ games and gets his squads into the tournament in a big boy conference often times with arguably lesser talent.  I don't see him as the savior, but his teams play real hard and deliver.

He had a mediocre 5 year stretch not long ago. Best season was 14-15 with Kris Dunn and they were a 6 seed that year. And a program that hasn't seen a Top 25 ranking since February of 2016. I don't think it has anything to do with budgets or anything. He's just a coach that can do just good enough and that's good enough for a program like Providence. 

4 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I think they're pretty even but I'd go Oats. He's only 46 which gives him the edge for me. His team was better this year and I like his system and personality a little more than Musselmans. I was watching the Arkansas game yesterday and they were talking about some of Musselman's motivational tactics and some of them seemed pretty cheesy and would be laughed at if they were losing. 

I think with all else being equal, I want the coach who runs the best (up-tempo) offense.  We are the "Hurryin' Hoosiers" after all!

21 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Neither deserve a mention. 

My take as well.

In general I think LOTS of coaches could succeed at IU and that includes these two...but who knows? So you take the best candidate, which no matter who says no and no matter your criteria is probably much farther up the list.