Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

Smith leaving truly shows the disconnect he had with Archie Miller and this team.

I’m not upset about because I probably feel about him the way Archie did.

But man, a kid that got every chance to play and contribute and still leaves as a senior screams, I hate my coach/situation.

I guess he wanted the “Devonte Green Light!”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Smith leaving truly shows the disconnect he had with Archie Miller and this team.

But man, a kid that got every chance to play and contribute and still leaves as a senior screams, I hate my coach/situation.

At the end of the day if Archie needed him to do X and he wanted to do Y. I think that’s just a business decision.  

I still hate it because I’m tired of being thin in the back court of front court. As if we have thin somewhere. 

But I don’t think this says anything bad about Archie, Justin or their relationship.  Just their goals didn’t align.  That’s not a bad thing it’s just how things are.  

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good post. Its obvious Justin isn't in it for the team. To each their own.  He'll never play in a NCAAT game. 

No hate whatsoever for the kid, but I am honestly happy he decided to move on. He, like Devonte Green, was a wobbly crutch for Miller.  Decent player that could win you a game or two, but you never knew when or where and ultimately would be more of a negative as a whole with either poor shooting, bad passing, or lazy defense.  Highly talented but under motivated mentally and physically. He is a band aid that ripped itself off.

Bingo! This is how I have felt as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Justin committed to one kind of a coach but got a different kind. He should be given credit for hanging with IU for three years when they needed him and getting his degree before moving on. Some on this board seem to want to trash him on the way out. It's hard to see why. He was 2nd on the team in rebounds and 3rd in scoring this past season. And, he was the best defensive player on the team. IU would not have won the game against Michigan State in 2019 without Justin's 24 points. And his defense clearly helped IU win a couple of games in 2020. He has talent and I suspect he will end up with a coach more to his liking.  Good luck Justin. His leaving creates opportunity for Race Thompson, Jerome Hunter and probably others.

20 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-justin-smith-20-teams-interested-transfer

Lots of teams have reached out to Justin.  Four big ten teams:  Purdue (ugh), Illinois, Northwestern, and Maryland.  He actually looks kind of like a fit with Purdue with Eastern's departure....could immediately fill in for what Eastern did as he was a guy that didn't really play a set position and was tasked with guarding the other team's best athlete.

If he didn't like that role at IU why would he like it elsewhere? I think he wants to find a program where he can play with the ball in his hands more so as to showcase what he feels are the attributes necessary to play at the next level. 

I honestly don't know why that would upset you.  Ever since Archie arrived, IU basketball has been pretty pathetic.

Yes we weren’t making the tournament last year or coming into this season as a top 25 team. We have no chance of making a tournament while he was here because we are so pathetic. I mean what you typed had no sarcasm and truly encapsulated what is actually happening. I am just so sorry to respond incredulously. You never deserved that on an IU board. What was I ever thinking?

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Another team might actually be able to use him correctly.

I do wonder...offensively, what is the correct way to use him?  He's been a poor man's Troy Williams at best.  At least Troy actually developed enough of a perimeter game that he needed guarded.  Three years into his career, Smith is 20 of 80 from three.

His best spot is offensively is to be an athletic 4 in today's game, looking to take less athletic 4's off the dribble.  But he seems to be 100% against taking that role.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

As a slasher and defender that plays the passing lanes. Archie used him as just a dude standing around.

Unfortunately, Smith didn’t have enough handles to be an effective slasher or create his own shot.