Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JerryYeagley23

Game Thread - Iowa vs. YOUR Indiana Hoosiers (2/13 @8pm ET on BTN)

I didn’t see anywhere to put it, so started my first ever game thread. Merge if I just missed it somewhere.

Vegas has IU favored -1. 

Someone in the desert must know something not many of us have seen reason to believe. I had to dig deep down to find it, but I think we get after a poor Iowa defense and team that has been weak away from home and our boys get a desperate W, looking just competent enough to make us fans keep hoping. 

Cautiously optimistic.

I predict a strong start, a scoring drought or two, weird lineup changes, intermittent spurts of greatness, head scratching missed bunnies, 70% FT shooting, and Iowa maybe has a bad night.

I think we squeak out an ugly W.

I predict Jordan Bohannon will make the trip, decide to take a few shots in warmups, which he'll make (because it's Assembly Hall, and everyone makes threes in this building). He'll then miraculously feel like playing, and just when it looks like we might actually win, he'll check into the game, go into God-mode, and we'll end up losing a heartbreaker. 

From Zach O’s Indy Star column:

“Our team in general, confidence is one thing, but also buy-in and being unselfish and caring about the guys in the locker room is probably the most important thing,” Miller said Wednesday before practice. “You've got to stick together. You've got to fight through these things and at the end of the day, when things get hard (players can) be a little bit more quiet, be a little bit more reserved and take things for granted to so speak. You're going to have a team that's not playing really well.”

Miller in his 3rd year is talking like this?!?!

Come on! These guys are playing for INDIANA BASKETBALL HOOSIERS!

If that’s not enough motivation on it’s own......

LEAVE!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

From Zach O’s Indy Star column:

“Our team in general, confidence is one thing, but also buy-in and being unselfish and caring about the guys in the locker room is probably the most important thing,” Miller said Wednesday before practice. “You've got to stick together. You've got to fight through these things and at the end of the day, when things get hard (players can) be a little bit more quiet, be a little bit more reserved and take things for granted to so speak. You're going to have a team that's not playing really well.”

Miller in his 3rd year is talking like this?!?!

Come on! These guys are playing for INDIANA BASKETBALL HOOSIERS!

If that’s not enough motivation on it’s own......

LEAVE!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Ok Archie...what are you doing about it?

NOTES: Hoosiers Play Host to No. 21/17 Iowa on Thursday

Story Links

OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and completes a two-game homestand when it hosts #21/17 Iowa on Thursday. The Hoosiers are looking to snap a four-game losing streak after falling to Purdue, 74-62, on Saturday.  According to ESPN's BPI, the Hoosiers are projected to have the 4th toughest strength of schedule in the country for the remainder of the season.  

GAME INFORMATION
Thursday, Feb. 13 •  8 p.m. ET
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (17,222) • Bloomington, Ind. 
TV: BTN (Dave Revsine and Shon Morris) | Watch Online
Radio: IU Radio Network  (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr,  Joe Smith) | TuneIn
Series History: Indiana leads, 102-78
Last Meeting: at Iowa 76, IU 70 (ot) - 2/22/19

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson.  He is 189-102 in eight-plus years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton.  His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014.  He is 50-39 at IU.  Fran McCaffery is in his 10th season at Iowa and is 189-139 with the Hawkeyes.

NEWS & NOTES
Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the 4th time this season after he had 16 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocked shots against Purdue.  He is averaging a team-best 13.8 points and 7.9 rebounds.   He is just one of four freshman nationally (Vernon Carey, Jr. - Duke, Zeke Nnaji - Arizona and Isiah Stewart - Washington) to lead his team in scoring, rebounds, field goal percentage, free throws made and free throws attempted and blocked shots.  In the Big Ten, Jackson-Davis is the top freshman scorer overall and in conference games (12.7).  He also leads in overall and conference play in field goal percentage (59.6 and 53.5), blocked shots (1.9 and 1.8), free throws made (94 and 46) and attempts (132 and 63).  He is second overall and in league games in rebounding (7.9 and 7.2).  He is 8th in the Big Ten in rebounding, 3rd in field goal percentage and 7th in blocked shots.

Junior Justin Smith is averaging 11.3 points and leads the Hoosiers with 26 steals. He had 11 points against Purdue.  Redshirt freshman Jerome Hunter is making more of an impact as of late.  He is averaging 8.3 points in the last 5 games and is shooting 43.8% (7/16) from long distance.  He had 10 points against Purdue.  Redshirt junior forward Joey Brunk leads the conference in field goal percentage in B1G games only at 56.6%. Among players in the B1G who have come off the bench 10 or more times this season, senior Devonte Green leads the conference averaging 10.6 points in those games.  Sophomore Rob Phinisee is the team's top 3-point shooter making 37.8% of his attempts.  He is second on the team with 56 assists. Junior Aljami Durham is tied for the team lead in assists with 54. 

ODDS AND TRENDS
In its last 5 games, IU is shooting 38.7% from three-point range.  The 22 assists against Maryland were a season-high and the 6 turnovers in that game were a season low.  IU matched its season-high in 3FGM with 9 against the Terrapins. In league play,  IU has the best defensive rebounding pct. in the league hauling in 76.2 % of opponent misses. IU leads the Big Ten in free throw attempts at 54.1%.

11 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

My biggest concern - the student section.  Will they show up or will there be a let down from Saturday?  Obviously, we have to play well on the court, but a crazy AH crowd makes a huge difference.

It used to.  Then the atmosphere vs Purdoo was bonkers....and Archie laid a turd on the court.

4 minutes ago, Bgaines99 said:

I'd prefer to see our "captains" Green and Durham stay on the bench tonight. 

Ain't no way in any scenario where a healthy Al Durham stays on the bench!

That doesn't mean he's playing well, but we have to have at least three guards play, and Al will be one of them. Probably see a fair bit of DeVonte too.

I thought it was telling that Archie was very complementary of Rob's attitude in his presser yesterday, and that he had Al and Armaan address the media following his remarks. That's three guards that I'm quite sure are gonna see the floor.

How are we still being favored in these games? That blows my mind. 

The public doesn’t know this team as well as its fans, that’s why. People will still bet IU because we’re at home and our record doesn’t look that bad on paper especially compared to Iowa’s. I, for one, am planning on making some decent money over the next few weeks betting against these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

The public doesn’t know this team as well as its fans, that’s why. People will still bet IU because we’re at home and our record doesn’t look that bad on paper especially compared to Iowa’s. I, for one, am planning on making some decent money over the next few weeks betting against these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Eh, while the betting public can influence a spread, bookmakers are still setting the lines. And if you bet sports you know that it’s freakish how often a game ends right on or within a point of the posted line. If Vegas let public betting drive spreads they would get HAMMERED by the sharps and smart money guys. They are beyond good at limiting exposure to risk. You don’t hear about many sports books going out of business. 

2 hours ago, InArchWeTrust said:

My biggest concern - the student section.  Will they show up or will there be a let down from Saturday?  Obviously, we have to play well on the court, but a crazy AH crowd makes a huge difference.

Well, it’s Thirsty Thursday, so let’s hope. 

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to make it back to campus, but was just thinking: why has nobody ever torn down a few of the street-side Varsity Villa buildings or some trees along Fee Ln between the pool and North Jordan and put in any bars/restaurants? Is that because it’s on campus (just barely) and we are dry? I know a lot of college stadiums that are surrounded by shops and restaurants/bars, etc. Imagine how packed they would be on game days of you could go there before and walk to the game and walk to them after. Would get more students there for sure I’d think.

I remember I lived way over on E. 3rd st, and even as a die-hard IU hoops fan, there was more than one occasion where freezing weather or finding a ride made it hard to get motivated to make our way across campus to AH for a game. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

It used to.  Then the atmosphere vs Purdoo was bonkers....and Archie laid a turd on the court.

The crowd didn't seem bonkers Sat to me...at least with respect to the game itself.