Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

11 minutes ago, J34 said:

Thanks for looking that up. The point still stands, they let OSU into the playoffs, with a 3rd stringer at the helm.

Sure, a 3rd stringer who led his team to a 59-0 blowout in his conference title game while throwing for 250+ and 3 tds. FSU’s third stringer threw for 55 yards last night. 219 total yards of offense last night. 224 yards against a 5-7 Florida team.

FSU Was averaging 400+ offensive yards with Travis. Now they’re averaging half that. They very clearly are not the same team they were before. It stinks for the team, and maybe it’s not ‘fair,’ but it’s abundantly clear that they aren’t a top 4 team in the country now. 

7 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

This year is a really good example of why expanding the CFP is good. Tho expanding it to 12 is bad. Most years there are 6 teams that are clearly the best teams. This year has 8, Georiga, Bama, OSU, Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Texas, and FSU. Adding 8 teams is gonna be rough. 

Idk, this would’ve been awesome.

IMG_7283.thumb.jpeg.bdb7892e6175a51d60626e6e35e8c629.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, a 3rd stringer who led his team to a 59-0 blowout in his conference title game while throwing for 250+ and 3 tds. FSU’s third stringer threw for 55 yards last night. 219 total yards of offense last night. 224 yards against a 5-7 Florida team.

FSU Was averaging 400+ offensive yards with Travis. Now they’re averaging half that. They very clearly are not the same team they were before. It stinks for the team, and maybe it’s not ‘fair,’ but it’s abundantly clear that they aren’t a top 4 team in the country now. 

"Abundantly clear" is hyperbole. How did Alabama look against Texas(L), USF, A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn? Did they look worthy of a top 4? Since we're going off the eye test.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk, this would’ve been awesome.

IMG_7283.thumb.jpeg.bdb7892e6175a51d60626e6e35e8c629.jpeg

Oregon-Mizzou would be tons of fun. Eventual OSU-Washington game would be fun just to watch the WR talent. It'd be up there with the LSU-Bama game with how talented the WRs are

They could just open up a second season in both, football and basketball and baseball to all teams and every sport for all tournaments.  Even individual sports.
Over the years expansion no matter how far expanded there is the argument that certain teams on the bubble or even near the bubble should be in or out.

Even if expansion was to everyone except one there would be an argument for that particular team or individual should be included.

Kinda like the Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer effect.

Before recent years you had same argument about bowl games.  Who received bowl bids vs those who didn’t and arguments over who went to what bowl except for assigned bowl games like the major 4 bowls on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

It is not possible to have too many playoff games. Especially when opening round games will be on campus. That’s going to be bananas. 

Yeah my hope is that the fans will want more than 12 teams. Personally I would like automatic bids for conference champions so that means at least a 16 team tournament in order for at large bids to compete.  

Check this out. Schwartz test driving the rationale the committee had on file to disregard the Bama-Texas result in case FSU had dropped a 50 bomb on Louisville. “We believe Alabama’s best win was better than Texas’ and their 1 loss wasn’t as bad. We just couldn’t ignore those facts and reward an undeserving Texas.”

7 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Yeah my hope is that the fans will want more than 12 teams. Personally I would like automatic bids for conference champions so that means at least a 16 team tournament in order for at large bids to compete.  

I’d limit it to only conference champions.  It would be a way to temporarily fight the super conference expansion talk.  If only conference champions made it then there would be less incentive for the top teams to group up as it would minimize their playoff access.

16 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And OSU still wasn't undefeated. And FSU will have their 2md string QB for the bowl game. Bama was the money maker. Only reason they were included.

19 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And OSU still wasn't undefeated. And FSU will have their 2md string QB for the bowl game. Bama was the money maker. Only reason they were included.

Sure, I’m not naive enough to think that money didn’t play any part in it. But we’re talking about a 12-1 SEC champion that just beat the #1 team in the country. It’s not like they put Alabama in for the heck of it because they absolutely needed an SEC team. I don’t think anyone genuinely believes that FSU without Jordan Travis is better than Alabama. So I can’t be mad about the committee putting Alabama in. 

I'm glad that they're expanding the playoffs.  It's been impossible for me to enjoy college football full knowing that even if IU were ever going to go undefeated that we still had no chance of winning it all.  I believe everything is corrupt but College football is to the extreme. 

5 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I'm glad that they're expanding the playoffs.  It's been impossible for me to enjoy college football full knowing that even if IU were ever going to go undefeated that we still had no chance of winning it all.  I believe everything is corrupt but College football is to the extreme. 

If IU ever went undefeated in the B1G East we would've 100% been in the playoff. The SOS, SOR, etc. would've been astronomical. FSU's was not.

29 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It's going to be really awkward when Bama wins the title. Even the most angry fans right now realize that's more likely than not.

Then again, it'll be extremely awkward if you're wrong. Especially if UM destroys them. Auburn, Arkansas and Texas A&M weren't really good football teams this year and they played them to one score wins. Auburn being the most dramatic only two weeks ago. I might be wrong but I truly think the SEC is the weakest conference this year. If not the weakest then one of the weakest. We'll see it all play out and for the sake of "earning the right" to play over an undefeated P5 school, I hope you are correct here. 

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, I’m not naive enough to think that money didn’t play any part in it. But we’re talking about a 12-1 SEC champion that just beat the #1 team in the country. It’s not like they put Alabama in for the heck of it because they absolutely needed an SEC team. I don’t think anyone genuinely believes that FSU without Jordan Travis is better than Alabama. So I can’t be mad about the committee putting Alabama in. 

Sure. And got whooped at home by Texas, struggled to beat South Florida at home, struggled to beat Auburn, struggled to beat Arkansas, struggled to beat Texas A&M.

7 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Then again, it'll be extremely awkward if you're wrong. Especially if UM destroys them. Auburn, Arkansas and Texas A&M weren't really good football teams this year and they played them to one score wins. Auburn being the most dramatic only two weeks ago. I might be wrong but I truly think the SEC is the weakest conference this year. If not the weakest then one of the weakest. We'll see it all play out and for the sake of "earning the right" to play over an undefeated P5 school, I hope you are correct here. 

For sure, I just don't think it's likely at all that Michigan pounds Bama. Either way, and it's just my opinion, I'd rather see Michigan/Bama than Michigan/FSU without Travis. That game probably looks a lot more like the B1G Championship did this weekend than a CFP semifinal.

Also, Bama had some grinders in the SEC, but no one is talking about FSU struggling with average to below average Boston College, Clemson, and Miami with Travis.