Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

At this point I'm really wondering if the fact that his announcement being in Fort Wayne open to the public is a really good sign, or he and his family aren't worried about any backlash they may get if he chooses to go elsewhere. I'm aware that it's his choice and he shouldn't care about backlash or getting people's hopes up if he's happy, but i just can't see him letting his buddies down and pass up the opportunity to play with them. I could see it being in Fort Wayne (other than family being there) as a spot to make people think it'll definitely be IU and ends up choosing elsewhere, but then i also could see his late visit to Kentucky making people think he's going there and then he chooses IU.

I have Kentucky and MSU fans at work who didn't even know about his announcement date, and when i told them about it and that it was being held in Fort Wayne to the public, they all said "you guys got him, there's no way he's not choosing IU if it's in Fort Wayne open to the public"  Heck, with the Fort only being about 30-35 minutes south of me i'd probably go if i didn't have to work. 

I personally think IU will end up getting him, but it's tough because he and his family have done a pretty good job at being strategic with their plans and keeping things close to the vest. 

He won’t get any backlash that matters. Indiana just is not that big a deal for their to be that much. We all care but Ft Wayne has been sending kids to all kinds of non IU destinations for a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

At this point I'm really wondering if the fact that his announcement being in Fort Wayne open to the public is a really good sign, or he and his family aren't worried about any backlash they may get if he chooses to go elsewhere. I'm aware that it's his choice and he shouldn't care about backlash or getting people's hopes up if he's happy, but i just can't see him letting his buddies down and pass up the opportunity to play with them. I could see it being in Fort Wayne (other than family being there) as a spot to make people think it'll definitely be IU and ends up choosing elsewhere, but then i also could see his late visit to Kentucky making people think he's going there and then he chooses IU.
I have Kentucky and MSU fans at work who didn't even know about his announcement date, and when i told them about it and that it was being held in Fort Wayne to the public, they all said "you guys got him, there's no way he's not choosing IU if it's in Fort Wayne open to the public"  Heck, with the Fort only being about 30-35 minutes south of me i'd probably go if i didn't have to work. 

I think he just doesn’t know where he wants to go honestly

Anyone know if he came up today? I’m guessing no as someone would’ve seen him.

However, seeing the Hoosiers rolling, Phin looking good as ever, and Trayce dropping 40 points last night, we have to look pretty darn enticing.

Anyone know if he came up today? I’m guessing no as someone would’ve seen him.

However, seeing the Hoosiers rolling, Phin looking good as ever, and Trayce dropping 40 points last night, we have to look pretty darn enticing.

He didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

MSU just added F Julius Marble to the 2019 class. Not sure where they sit with scholarships or if they intended to use KBJ as a F but that may mean they aren't expecting to get him.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

According to Verbal Commits, linked below, MSU is set at 13 for next season.  I wouldn't say we are in the 'clear' - scholarships are fluid with early entries (Cassius? Ward?) & transfers.  Net, if Brooks wants to go to MSU, they will gladly take him and figure out the scholarships later.

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/michigan-state

22 hours ago, 8bucks said:

He won’t get any backlash that matters. Indiana just is not that big a deal for their to be that much. We all care but Ft Wayne has been sending kids to all kinds of non IU destinations for a long time now.

I always thought Fort Wayne was Indiana leaning growing up. Things change obviously.

I always thought Fort Wayne was Indiana leaning growing up. Things change obviously.

I don’t live there so from a fan standpoint it may lean that way but there have been a lot of Ft Wayne kids take a non IU path that I doubt fear of backlash will be an decision issue.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly it’s really neutral. There are OSU, PU, IU, UM, and MSU. More MSU than UM. I think PU rivals IU evenly around the city.

12 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I don’t live there so from a fan standpoint it may lean that way but there have been a lot of Ft Wayne kids take a non IU path that I doubt fear of backlash will be an decision issue.

Fort Wayne is neutral maybe compared to some other hardcore parts of the state. But it is still overwhelmingly pro-IU. You are correct that most of the big time players from here go elsewhere, but that is only because Davis and Crean refused to ever recruit Fort Wayne. Izzo, Pitino, Painter, and Matta were always seen in gyms here, but for some reason never IU coaches. In the last 10 years Purdue probably has 7 guys from FW, Michigan St has 2, Ohio St has 1, Michigan has 1-2, Louisville has 2, Notre Dame 1-2.

Archie is already on Keion Brooks Jr and also Kaleb Furst.  

Edited by ViaSwiss

Given how long and tiring (going to commit soon for months) this recruitment has been, the team is providing a great distraction by finally playing well. With the game on Thursday there won't be time to stress about Keon's choice until afterward.

I haven’t lived there in 15 years but it was a pro IU town at the time

It’s definitely a pro IU town. Unfortunately it’s also pro other schools now too... I almost feel like OSU may be over PU. It’s not as dominant as it was when I was a kid in favor of IU.

If Indiana wins Thursday and Friday, the Brooks announcement will be buried somewhat by IU's winning streak and likely (if they beat Michigan State a 3rd time) entry into the NCAA tournament.  If IU loses to Ohio State and Brooks chooses Kentucky, it will be a double dose of bad luck. Brooks picking IU will be celebrated either way.

It’s definitely a pro IU town. Unfortunately it’s also pro other schools now too... I almost feel like OSU may be over PU. It’s not as dominant as it was when I was a kid in favor of IU.

Can't speak for the city itself but the little town to the south is overwhelmingly pro IU. Actually I'd say OSU is 2nd but we're also right on the border.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app