Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Let’s say we’re playing w/ $6M this off season for 5 guys. Woodson needs to use his old head friends to get recruits. 

IT you have $1M to get me the best PG you can 

Whitman go grab a C and back up PF for $1M 

Kenya Ya Walsh regionally recruit me a SF and backup SG $1.5 

Indiana University will be my favorite G-League team next year. Hope we finish top 6 in the conference.

Indiana University will be my favorite G-League team next year. Hope we finish top 6 in the conference.

Drake just beat ISU with 10 new players this year. It *could* work but I think it will be as volatile as the one and done teams of UK and Duke.

Sent from my Fisher-Price Flip Phone

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Just watched the leal speech again. I missed the part yesterday at the end when he said. You guys gotta chill!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I like Leal. I think he's a good guy. He's done a lot of good with his NIL money which is awesome to see. But a huge reason he is in this position is because of the fans that "have to chill". It's what makes IU special. Sure, there are knuckleheads out there. Every fan base has them. See Duke and Kansas fans this weekend. But I"m tired of the "Fans are the problem". Since the late 90's there have really only been about 5 seasons that have been good for IU. U fans show up no matter what. See 2008-2011. Heck, see Sunday to support two seniors who haven't been at IU for 4-5 years (X and Anthony). They better watch their words. I'm like many of you, not happy. I said some things I probably will take back. I'll always be an IU fan. But the arrogant comments yesterday by Woodson just leads me to think things won't change. I hope I am wrong. 

3 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Let’s say we’re playing w/ $6M this off season for 5 guys. Woodson needs to use his old head friends to get recruits. 

IT you have $1M to get me the best PG you can 

Whitman go grab a C and back up PF for $1M 

Kenya Ya Walsh regionally recruit me a SF and backup SG $1.5 

Sounds like you'll end up with Butch McRae, Neon Bordeaux and Ricky Roe.  :)  

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Sounds like you'll end up with Butch McRae, Neon Bordeaux and Ricky Roe.  :)  

If they get us into S16 sounds like a fine group of young men. Point of the post though: all the old heads retained Woodson, so now put your $ up and help the man get players. Indiana Globetrotters

Side note because this wasn''t Woody who said it.  Asking for guesses at who did say it when asked about speculation that he was retiring (FWIW, he was a guy I criticized for how he handled situations last year).

“I have no idea who said that,” (blank) said after Tuesday’s practice. “I’m not sure who said it; I know I didn’t. I have talked to nobody. Whoever is saying that is pure speculation. I’m not going anywhere — unless the school tells me I’m not here — but no, I’m not retiring, that’s for sure.”

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I’m guessing our NIL will be a little over 6 million. I think the reason Leal and Trey acted the way they did is because they met with Woody on Saturday and found out they’re getting a raise for next season.

So why is Leal taking up a roster spot again? 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I’m guessing our NIL will be a little over 6 million. I think the reason Leal and Trey acted the way they did is because they met with Woody on Saturday and found out their getting a raise for next season.

$461K if split evenly between 13 guys (it won't be).

I am kind of resigned to things now.  I am ready for Woodson to go, I will keep an eye out to see if he is capable of shutting people like me up on the court, and I sure am not buying into the inevitable summer hype machine that will be saying how awesome all of our portal hauls are and how great we are going to be.  They have to show me early and often.  No more of this NBA BS where they finally start "getting right" at the end of the year to squeak into the tournament.  $6 million for a college basketball team is the kind of money you spend to be fighting for a conference title and be in the second weekend of the tournament particularly if you are a brilliant NBA coach who is used to dealing with overpaid athletes.

I look forward to Mike Woodson making me STFU or by experiencing the schadenfreude of watching him fail.  Win/win.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I’m guessing our NIL will be a little over 6 million. I think the reason Leal and Trey acted the way they did is because they met with Woody on Saturday and found out their getting a raise for next season.

I'm seeing a bunch of people lump Trey and Leal together. What did Trey say that was controversial? I listened to his speech, and it was basically a normal senior day speech. Maybe I missed something.

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Honest ? Where is the nil now . Thought a influx was coming . If I'm a big name guy a game changer . I'm asking for  a very big number . To go to IU into this quagmire . Don't you just about have to pay so much they can't refuse . If they fill the holes . Maybe I'm over reading it . Tks 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Side note because this wasn''t Woody who said it.  Asking for guesses at who did say it when asked about speculation that he was retiring (FWIW, he was a guy I criticized for how he handled situations last year).

“I have no idea who said that,” (blank) said after Tuesday’s practice. “I’m not sure who said it; I know I didn’t. I have talked to nobody. Whoever is saying that is pure speculation. I’m not going anywhere — unless the school tells me I’m not here — but no, I’m not retiring, that’s for sure.”

Boeheim?

3 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I'm seeing a bunch of people lump Trey and Leal together. What did Trey say that was controversial? I listened to his speech, and it was basically a normal senior day speech. Maybe I missed something.

Yeah that’s my fault. Trey just said he was coming back and and let’s win the BTT. 

3 minutes ago, Muskie for three said:

Honest ? Where is the nil now . Thought an influx was coming . If I'm a big name guy a game changer . I'm asking for 1.5 at least  . To go to IU into this quagmire . Don't you just about have to pay so much they can't refuse . If they fill the holes . Maybe I'm over reading it . Tks 

This year around 4, boosters to add 2 to make it over 6.

I actually like Trey's speech a lot after watching back. I am happy to see him growing more comfortable as a leader/being vocal. If we can take some of the load off him next year backcourt wise, I am excited to watch his 6th year. Whether I like him or not I am happy the players are seemingly rallying behind Woody. I hope we retain a core and build a monster in the portal (color me skeptical for now). These "better portal contacts" really need to translate to a couple early backcourt commits in the transfer portal. 

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Short version: His results at Iowa and UCLA weren't great. More importantly is how he handled the Pierre Pierce sexual assault. No bueno.

With Alford I honestly forgot about the Pierce scandal.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

This year around 4, boosters to add 2 to make it over 6.

Just curious, did we even spend all of our money this year? I feel like Ware is a higher 6 figure player as well as Malik and Mgbako. But going down the list I just don’t see many players commanding high dollar amounts on our current roster. Is there an expectation that most of this money will go into portal studs? (Hopefully of course)

Where else is Leal going to get this kind of NIL money. Not surprised he stood up for the guy helping him get a big payday.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah that’s my fault. Trey just said he was coming back and and let’s win the BTT. 

I thought he might have had a little line about 'real fans' but I don't recall.  He gave a really long speech and his final line was "So I'll be coming back next to play in front of the best fans in the country, best place in Assembly Hall and the best coach in the country."

You can take that last part as a dig at the fans or as him showing appreciation for Woodson.  Personally, I think from the way he talked about Woodson that it was appreciation mostly and partially him expressing hurt from hearing fans talk about the coach he likes.  I don't like Woodson as a coach, I don't like the way he refuses to answers questions and I don't  like the way he doesn't take responsibility.  But if Trey is willing to say the things he did -- even if they were exaggerated -- I think at the minimum that he does Woodson to stay on.