Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, FortWayneHoosier said:

You're welcome! Again as long as the craziness of this thread stays here we are all good. And BTB members have done a great job (for the most part) of not letting it bleed in to other threads. 

And it’s why some people like me only use and read this one. I’m pretty sure I had one removed and I am guessing it was something I said kinda mean about Woody and I think was probably misunderstood it happens. That said, the moderation doesn’t bother me at all it’s what keeps this from becoming peegs and isn’t overdone to quiet all dissenting voices like others I won’t name and don’t read. You guys are alright. 

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

And it’s why some people like me only use and read this one. I’m pretty sure I had one removed and I am guessing it was something I said kinda mean about Woody and I think was probably misunderstood it happens. That said, the moderation doesn’t bother me at all it’s what keeps this from becoming peegs and isn’t overdone to quiet all dissenting voices like others I won’t name and don’t read. You guys are alright. 

Thanks for sticking with us! You guys make this forum what it is. A lot of opinions around here and this is the place to share them. 

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

Much like what happened with Brad Stevens, I'm afraid we are going to hang onto an average coach and miss on the potential future star. 

How are the two similar at all? It has been accepted that Stevens turned down an offer, while we don't even know of an offer to May. I don't see the "much like" part.

1 minute ago, Tom White said:

How are the two similar at all? It has been accepted that Stevens turned down an offer, while we don't even know of an offer to May. I don't see the "much like" part.

He's talking about earlier in Stevens career when he would've taken the IU job. 

21 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Proves my point.. Spineless keyboard warriors

thanks to BTB mods and community for not limiting free speech - U da MVPs

Feel free to tell me or any of the mods that our opinions are chock-full-O-crap at any time.

(*checks this thread...oh my ... I should be wearing Kevlar when I post!)

That's what the board is here for. As long as it's not a personal attack or about politics, religion, etc.? Fire away.

We ain't no scare-dey cats! 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Feel free to tell me or any of the mods that our opinions are chock-full-O-crap at any time.

(*checks this thread...oh my ... I should be wearing Kevlar when I post!)

That's what the board is here for. As long as it's not a personal attack or about politics, religion, etc.? Fire away.

We ain't no scare-dey cats! 

Bunch of Blogger Boys!!

Jesus, I went away for one weekend and you all poured in 130 pages lmao. I have many thoughts. 

I was team fire Woody but the writing is on the wall. Most of my critiques have to do with his system and roster construction, but I also thought that he had lost the locker room and we would have a mass exodus this offseason. The speeches last night repudiated a lot of the negative rumors about the roster.  In a time where we are losing so much ground to Purdue, Leal and Gallo are representatives of how things should be, and we should celebrate them.  Right now it seems like we were given bad information. Now there is at least doubt that we would have to turn over the whole roster. Lets see what happens with MM, Cupps, and MR. Teams that turn over 4 or 5 starters and 7 rotation players in the portal don't win. But a team that brings in a few portal studs to supplement the existing roster has potential. 

A little media training for CMW would go a long way. At IU, the rabid fans are our biggest asset and any coach needs to know that. That being said, we have gotten a little carried away w/the "true fans" comments. Most of them were said with regards to X. This fanbase has been completely unfair to X and I loved watching Woody defend him. He's had bad moments, but I think the fanbase has gone too far in calling for his head. Good on Woody for standing up for him. 

As for next year, I fully expect to be better, but who knows if it will be enough.  Woody wants to play 2 bigs. I don't see that changing. Not my preference, but many big ten teams do it. It can work as long as you have proper spacing. Woody hears the complaints about the team. He's made some small adjustments throughout the season that prove he at least knows when something is wrong. Switching how we cover screens, playing Trey at PG, allowing Leal to work his way into the rotation, etc etc. I disagree with his overall philosophy, but he isn't blind. He will absolutely find shooters this offseason because it is the most obvious problem in the world and it’s a simple fix.

I have always said the mark of a good coach is that his team gets better over the course of the season. Woody certainly set himself a very low bar early on, but credit where its due they have improved of late. Now the test is whether he can overcome the biggest issue this year, deficient roster construction. If he continues to make the same mistakes, I think it will be a unanimous call by all the powers that be to fire him. 

Lastly, I appreciate Woody bringing HS recruits around. I think Woody wants to leverage our NIL advantage and the more efficient, shorter portal recruiting window to his advantage to build a team. That's fine as long as there is a balance, and I think he is beginning to see that you CANNOT lose the Indiana guys to Purdue. Someone told him what a shitstorm it is for him to miss Mullins etc games. I'm glad this season has at least made it abundantly clear that he has to get some Indiana HS guys or the seat gets real hot real quick. Having Mullins/Sisley there to see those senior speeches was big. 

I guess my main point is to try and slow the doomers here. Dolson is listening. Another year of the same will not get Woody a year 5.  Simple as that. 

As for after Woody, everything I know says we will still have options for good coaches. There's no doubt this is risky.  Dusty is going to OSU, but if he truly loves the IU job, he will take it when it is offered. The risk is the price of getting to test him at the P5 like so many of you wanted. Notre Dame peaked at the perfect time and have a top 30 defense. I know Shrews loves IU. I know Dusty loves IU. Who knows if either would leave their current spot, but one way or another Woody is 66, he is on the clock and there are still great options for after him. It's gonna suck to see Dusty at OSU. But if he succeeds, he will have to turn us down at some point. I'm not sure I can see him doing that. 

TLDR: Woody is in a better position to return some key pieces than most of us assumed, which gives him a good chance of being better next year and we hopefully wont have to watch a fully portal-built team, but the seat is officially hot and he will be gone with a mediocre year and we will know more about the viability of Dusty or Shrews to be our next coach. 

Okay I am not active on the board often. Can someone please explain to me why Steve Alford has not gotten consideration now, or in the past, for the coaching job at IU? It seems like his resume is solid (better than our current and last head coach) and he is an IU guy. Why didn't we reach out to him over Woodson? He has Nevada in the top 25 and back to back tourney appearances. He took UCLA to 3 sweet 16s in 4 years. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier2016 said:

Okay I am not active on the board often. Can someone please explain to me why Steve Alford has not gotten consideration now, or in the past, for the coaching job at IU? It seems like his resume is solid (better than our current and last head coach) and he is an IU guy. Why didn't we reach out to him over Woodson? He has Nevada in the top 25 and back to back tourney appearances. He took UCLA to 3 sweet 16s in 4 years. 

no. Alford was discussed repeatedly last coaching search. That horse is dead

1 hour ago, Hoosier2016 said:

Short version: His results at Iowa and UCLA weren't great. More importantly is how he handled the Pierre Pierce sexual assault. No bueno.

Just now, go iu bb said:

Short version: His results at Iowa and UCLA haven't been great. More importantly is how he handled the Pierre Pierce sexual assault. No bueno.

Thank you for the response. Makes sense. 

I am guessing because he would have been successful here. We are not good at doing the right thing. That's why we are waiting till next year to hire some random college assistant next year

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Just got around to watching Leal's senior day speech.

Other than when he was introduced, there wasn't a thing he said that I would have applauded for.

"There's a reason you guys aren't coaches."

OK Anthony, and there's a reason no one else hired Woodson to be their coach. There's a reason he was fired from the Knicks after 3 seasons, and there's a reason he only won 46% of his games. 

And there's a reason why the Indiana administration has been wrong about nearly every single major decision they have made regarding the basketball program the past 25 years.  They're incompetent.

11 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Just got around to watching Leal's senior day speech.

Other than when he was introduced, there wasn't a thing he said that I would have applauded for.

"There's a reason you guys aren't coaches."

OK Anthony, and there's a reason no one else hired Woodson to be their coach. There's a reason he was fired from the Knicks after 3 seasons, and there's a reason he only won 46% of his games. 

What was the response from the crowd? Could you tell?