Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

9 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Can someone post the AD and BoT emails again? I know it won't matter to them, but it will make me feel better to let them know how divisive and toxic the coach's comments were today. 

Dolson - athldir@indiana.edu
BOT - bdot@iu.edu

President - iupres@iu.edu

7 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Dolson - athldir@indiana.edu
BOT - bdot@iu.edu

President - iupres@iu.edu

I would love for Pam Whitten to post that she reprimanded Woodson for the comments about true fans.  Someone needs to smack him down a rung or two. 

10 minutes ago, Dunk said:

First post here - long time lurker on BTB. I watched the senior day "festivities" and felt like I needed to let my opinion out somewhere.

I've been a donor and supporter of IUBB since I graduated a decade ago.  Good team or bad. I watch or record every game and make plans around them. I'm known by friends and family as a die-hard fan. It's part of my identity. Prior to this evening, I merely felt that Woodson didn't have the team on a good trajectory and that it would be better served going in a different direction.

Today was the first time I ever felt like a fool for my support. I got told by the head coach that I wasn't a true fan for wanting what I thought was best for the program. That same coach has refused to answer any question regarding the program's future or acknowledge that he would be willing to make any change to get a better outcome. That coach then told me he's done his job and that it should never be in question while sitting in 6th the worst Big Ten in ages with very few prospects of success this season or next. Some are saying they just took the comments as Woodson defending himself. I took them as him dancing on the graves of those who wanted him out.

I won't abandon the team entirely, but I'm sad and angry that I'm not considered a fan by the program I love and have withdrawn future donations to IU Athletics as a result. Frankly, I'm disgusted by Mike Woodson as a person and, valid or not, I feel personally insulted and I feel like my time, energy, and money has been wasted.

Anyway, this post is too long but I'm glad I got that off my chest. My wife says I'm being dramatic but I guess she's a true fan.

Welcome to the board. Solid 1st post. Stick around

3 hours ago, HoosierTownie said:

If Leal and Galloway are playing next year, why did they give speeches after the game.  It's supposed to be an opportunity to say goodbye not that you'll be coming back.

It's not that uncommon for players to announce they are coming back like that.  It's no different than the culture of these huge announcement days for high school recruits in terms of unnecessary spotlight IMO.  But it is what it is.  Probably would have played better if students weren't on spring break.

15 minutes ago, Dunk said:

First post here - long time lurker on BTB. I watched the senior day "festivities" and felt like I needed to let my opinion out somewhere.

I've been a donor and supporter of IUBB since I graduated a decade ago.  Good team or bad. I watch or record every game and make plans around them. I'm known by friends and family as a die-hard fan. It's part of my identity. Prior to this evening, I merely felt that Woodson didn't have the team on a good trajectory and that it would be better served going in a different direction.

Today was the first time I ever felt like a fool for my support. I got told by the head coach that I wasn't a true fan for wanting what I thought was best for the program. That same coach has refused to answer any question regarding the program's future or acknowledge that he would be willing to make any change to get a better outcome. That coach then told me he's done his job and that it should never be in question while sitting in 6th the worst Big Ten in ages with very few prospects of success this season or next. Some are saying they just took the comments as Woodson defending himself. I took them as him dancing on the graves of those who wanted him out.

I won't abandon the team entirely, but I'm sad and angry that I'm not considered a fan by the program I love and have withdrawn future donations to IU Athletics as a result. Frankly, I'm disgusted by Mike Woodson as a person and, valid or not, I feel personally insulted and I feel like my time, energy, and money has been wasted.

Anyway, this post is too long but I'm glad I got that off my chest. My wife says I'm being dramatic but I guess she's a true fan.

Please copy and paste that and send it to the three emails posted above.

Welcome!

4 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

So now we’re attacking the players?

SMH

These players make a helluva more money than most posters on here do. These guys aren't amateurs anymore,  they're tax paying, semi professional basketball players. Blaming fans for the teams lackluster season, and low bball iq, is a complete cop-out. This is territory the coaches and players should not be going into. 

These players make a helluva more money than most posters on here do. These guys aren't amateurs anymore,  they're tax paying, semi professional basketball players. Blaming fans for the teams lackluster season, and low bball iq, is a complete cop-out. This is territory the coaches and players should not be going into. 

Uh no. I 100000% disagree here.

and regardless they are still amateurs, who are only being paid now because the NCAA was forced to allow them to. If the NCAA was not dragged kicking and screaming to allow them to get paid, the NCAA would still be treating them as slaves (in a sense). How many times in past years was a player suspended for someone giving them a free meal? A meal that at most cost 20$? Teams were making millions of dollars of the backs of these athletes and they got literal bred crumbs in return.

Also. as i said upthread. Many of those “rumors” from the past week were impinging on their character. “They hate their coach!, they will leave IU as soon as they can! They have every damn right to call out those rumors as horse manure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure my comments will go over well but thank you to [mention=1447]Stuhoo[/mention] for fighting some of the battle.

These players sat around for weeks having to hear a lot. 

- they were all leaving and innuendos it was they can’t stand Woody. People stating things as fact. 

- they suck at FTs etc “get in them gym” - which they were the ones doing just that while media and fans on Twitter go off from their couch. Few realize the hours these guys put in and it is draining mentally when you aren’t winning. 

- their coach, whom they care about and feel they were letting down, needed to be fired with a petition started

- hear the fans say things like “calling Malik out is going to have him transfer, can’t do that” called coaching and when players have a relationship, they expect it. That was just example but everything has been criticized and their coach or they can’t do anything right. 

- how they suck but were missing a senior captain for multiple injuries and Ware for multiple games while Trey had to take on tons of pressure to mold into a 40 mph PG. having Cupps isn’t the same for them and that isn’t a shot at Cupps. 

- they hate losing more than any of you, and had to go through that as well. 

Now we have a few saying it was “staged” and forced to do it. It never ends. I’m sorry but Trey didn’t have tears until it came to talking about Woody. That was real. 

It never stops. It was “I don’t see other of those guys back” - now they come back and it is they suck, Malik and MM probably won’t be. 

My favorite of all is how they are “soft” because they can’t take the criticism but we have lots of grown men here all emotional because they pushed back. Maybe don’t be so soft 

exactly. And i am sure that their mentions on social media are an absolute tire fire. Heaven forbid they miss the game winning three. Then you will need a hazmat suit to wade thru the comments. It was so much easier to be an athlete in the pre social media era as well as pre sports betting

Listened to the senior day speeches on the way back from the game.  My thoughts:

Pretty much what I expected from Woodson.  Pretty much saying what he's been saying all along.  I don't like the guy but nothing he did surprised me.  I have a low opinion of him as a leader and that didn't change.

In terms of Leal and Galloway, didn't like the use of the use of the term 'real fans' but it elicited more of an eye roll reaction from me than one of anger.  Thought it was one of those things that doesn't really accomplish anything positive.  But all and all they've been positives for the program for four years so not going to write them off.  I'm sure they are on social media and read tweet, message board posts, listen to talk radio where IU fans are openly rooting for them to lose games in order to get rid of Woodson.  And they've heard boos at home.  Doesn't even matter if the boos are directed at Woodson -- when you are playing they all sound the same.  So understand the anger/disappointmen they probably feel about it, just think that ultimately it didn't need to be said.

In terms of them talking about appreciating Woodson.....everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  And since they are coming back next year, I would hope that they do see positives in Woodson that we don't.  It wouldn't make sense for them to come back if they had the disdain for Woodson that most on this message board do.

7 minutes ago, iubb said:

and regardless they are still amateurs, who are only being paid now because the NCAA was forced to allow them to. If the NCAA was not dragged kicking and screaming to allow them to get paid, the NCAA would still be treating them as slaves (in a sense). How many times in past years was a player suspended for someone giving them a free meal? A meal that at most cost 20$? Teams were making millions of dollars of the backs of these athletes and they got literal bred crumbs in return.

Also. as i said upthread. Many of those “rumors” from the past week were impinging on their character. “They hate their coach!, they will leave IU as soon as they can! They have every damn right to call out those rumors as horse manure.

How do those rumors “impinge on their character”? 

And I really don’t recall any rumors about Anthony Leal at all. Dude has been one of the most supported IU players in recent history and then he turns around and slaps the fanbase in the face as a thank you. 

Just utterly bizarre to see the “told ya so, you’re bad fans” rants from the players and coaches at the close of an 18-13 regular season that almost certainly won’t end in a tournament appearance. Too little, too late. 

9 minutes ago, iubb said:

They're men! Just like any 18-24 year old person protecting us all around the world. And making a h*ll of a lot less money. I love the fact they are sticking up for their leader,  but coming after a very large fan base, is a losing proposition. Players come and go, but "true" fans are here forever.

Posting here because I do see some growth.  Hopefully that can work to our benefit potentially winning 7 in a row.  We may not win out but they are hitting their stride and have a shot to make a run.  Playing faster and up tempo is working better for offense and Woody has shortened the bench substantially 

I am sure my comments will go over well but thank you to [mention=1447]Stuhoo[/mention] for fighting some of the battle.
These players sat around for weeks having to hear a lot. 
- they were all leaving and innuendos it was they can’t stand Woody. People stating things as fact. 
- they suck at FTs etc “get in them gym” - which they were the ones doing just that while media and fans on Twitter go off from their couch. Few realize the hours these guys put in and it is draining mentally when you aren’t winning. 
- their coach, whom they care about and feel they were letting down, needed to be fired with a petition started
- hear the fans say things like “calling Malik out is going to have him transfer, can’t do that” called coaching and when players have a relationship, they expect it. That was just example but everything has been criticized and their coach or they can’t do anything right. 
- how they suck but were missing a senior captain for multiple injuries and Ware for multiple games while Trey had to take on tons of pressure to mold into a 40 mph PG. having Cupps isn’t the same for them and that isn’t a shot at Cupps. 
- they hate losing more than any of you, and had to go through that as well. 

Now we have a few saying it was “staged” and forced to do it. It never ends. I’m sorry but Trey didn’t have tears until it came to talking about Woody. That was real. 
It never stops. It was “I don’t see other of those guys back” - now they come back and it is they suck, Malik and MM probably won’t be. 
My favorite of all is how they are “soft” because they can’t take the criticism but we have lots of grown men here all emotional because they pushed back. Maybe don’t be so soft 

This is all well and good.

But minimum expectations are making the tournament at Indiana.

If you aren’t coaching well or aren’t playing well stay off social media. I mean what do you expect to see when things are off the rails. Then blaming fans for the reactions everyone would expect to be out in the socialverse is crazy to me.

I don’t condone any @ on Twitter. I think that is lowclass. I think message board critiques are fair.

Woody handled a lot of things poorly this year and I detailed that in a thread earlier this week in how to lose a fanbase in a week.

I guess they would prefer apathy. Unbridled support just isn’t going to happen when minimum expectations aren’t met.

I do feel sorry for the players when this happens but there is no stopping it. Izzo has made the tournament like 26 straight years. Coach and team gotta at least make the tournament. The noise will quiet then.

But Woody cost us the tournament in how he coached the early season games and not understanding how the metric rankings work.

Bummer of a season. Hopefully we can win 2 or 3 more and make it close.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

There is plenty to complain about this season but I have found it very amusing to read all the crybaby posts because people are butt hurt due to being called out as “not true fans”.

Many of the same posters have been calling the coach and players a variety of names all season while saying those players and coach should sack up and take criticism.  The double standard is very funny.

There is plenty to complain about this season but I have found it very amusing to read all the crybaby posts because people are butt hurt due to being called out as “not true fans”.
 Many of the same posters have been calling the coach and players a variety of names all season while saying those players and coach should sack up and take criticism.  The double standard is very funny.

To me it’s just more evidence they are focused on the wrong stuff. Woodson is shortstacked at the Poker table so he’s going all in.

I personally don’t care at all, but it shows mental weakness. You don’t acknowledge that stuff. It’s big money sports when you don’t meet expectations. It just that simple. Woodson should understand that as much as anyone. As he says, “compete for B1G championships and NCAA championships”. Missing the tournament, especially when you’ve made roster construction errors and coaching misjudgments most of the season, he should know it’s expected.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I do remember a certain poster stating with four games left in the season that if you were rooting for the team to win, they you weren't really a fan.  He's a good poster, just don't agree with that sentiment.  

Didn't really get into it with that post because there wasn't a point.  Pretty much the same with Leal and Galloway's comments.  Didn't think they comments that were need to be made.  But I didn't write off the poster who said I wasn't a real fan because I can't make myself root to to lose, not going to do that with Leal or Galloway.  

17 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

People can walk and chew gum.

They can be mad at all the same things you are when it comes to winning but tired of the lies, tired of their teammates like X, MM, etc called unthinkable names by the minute on Twitter, their coach having a petition to fire him, etc. 

your takes have been reasonable but the meltdown from some is …. Wow

Yeah, I get it.  

Just want the excuses to end and the winning to begin. 

I actually think Portaling is a good strategy if you can be at the top. Probably the best strategy to be honest.  So I’m holding on to hope.  

I think Woodson blew this season with his choices so I’m always going to have reservations about him as I have from the beginning.  

Losing McNeely sucks though.  He would have been a great addition.  

Woodson is going to have enormous pressure on him next season.  3/4 of the fanbase have lost hope.  It won’t be easy to win them back. 

3 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

Fair enough, but we’ve gone .500 or better three times in the last eight years. All three are from Mike Woodson. I don’t think he was beating his chest. I think he was saying exactly what Leal said. Chill out. It’s not where any of us want to be but we’ve now gone .500 or better for three seasons in a row for the first time dating back to….

2005-2008. Seriously.

I am choosing to view this as him being fiery and not giving up. Much rather that than have him tuck tail like a whipped dog when there is still basketball left to play this year.

Woah... We were .500 in Big Ten okay in Archies first season.