Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Archie Miller Assessment Thread

28 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Thank you so much for sharing what you can without burning your sources.

Not at all surprised Dolson is ready to move on and that the money and power is holding this up.  Sounds like the money and power is more concerned about Mike Woodson than Indiana University.  It’s ridiculous we are just throwing a year away for nothing.  I wish this could get out to all the fan base and see how much dollars IU could lose next year if fans stopped supporting the program for a year. The only thing we are doing is buying players to come right now.  High school recruiting is dead for this current year and next.

I am surprised that they are not as high on Dusty May as we are.  I also wonder who the 3rd person was.  Also surprised you guys are using the private message tool ha lol.  I might have to look into that lol.  Hopefully Dolson lets his finger slip and hits the eject button.  This is nuts lol.

For your sake don't use the PM function lol

This admin needs to understand “poo or get off the pot”.

A program in limbo is in the dead zone.

A P5 program needs a leader that builds momentum in all facets and obviously HS recruiting.  Energy, enthusiasm etc..

If this info is true, this is a disaster plan imo.

First, appreciate the update @JerryYeagley23 and while disappointing I think most were expecting something along those lines.

I only have a couple thoughts and if this already got addressed and I missed it, apologies in advance.

1). When you say gauged interest, was it with the understanding it would be for 25-26? That seems like a large sticking point if conjecture on 2 of the candidates being May/pearl is true. Or are we talking just general interest if IU was open?

2). What is your opinion on next season? If this goes poorly (I believe it will) are we riding it out and pulling a Michigan? It is hard not to look at this and see someone “bigger than the program.”

It would appear HS recruiting is officially dead at IU until at least summer 2025. The next coach is going to have an uphill battle to say the least. We are going to have to hope the next guy can pull a Cignetti and bring contributors with him. I do not, on a personal level, want to see Woody and the players we get go through what I believe they will next year. It’s all pretty sad.

So if he’s for sure coming back next year and is planning on it most likely being his last, if Dusty May is one of the two that has definite interest, I wonder if that means Dolson has a plan with him to know he could be lined up after next season once Woodson “retires”, or if Dolson plans on just paying to take Dusty away from wherever he ends up next year IF he indeed takes a bigger job elsewhere instead of waiting on us. Pearl would obviously be different because we would be taking him from where he’s already been anyways. So really does make you wonder the chances of a change being made after this tournament and whether those chances go up or not. Like I said, if it’s Pearl and May who are the two that Dolson knows has interest and could get to come here, he’d have to know to take Dusty away from a new job if we see him end up taking one after this year and we don’t make the move. So that transition between who we actually get AFTER next season, if that ends up for sure being how it goes, is interesting. 

6 hours ago, TTT said:

Reading a facebook thread….Bruce Peal is really liked/loved by SEC fans.  Tennessee fan remembered him as a student…high energy and would come into lunch room and talk to students at all the tables.  High compliments from KY, Tennessee, Florida, Arkansas, Bama, LSU and of course Auburn fans….lot of love for him.

Am I wrong or didn't Bruth Webber despise Pearl and accused him of tampering with players? This really hurt Pearl's chances of getting consideration in the past, seems to have finally blown over now. If he really wants to come to Indiana I say hire him after the tournament before somebody else snatches him up! Honestly though, I doubt he leaves Auburn, he may just be trying to get a big extension!

7 hours ago, DChoosier said:

So they have basically fired Woodson but effective next year?!?!
WTF.

Nothing says incompetent more than willfully agreeing to endure another poor season while also being willing to negatively impact recruiting for the next 2 seasons.

The administration has to exit the echo chamber of “we must tread lightly with Woody” and look at the big picture. At this point they are on the verge of taking the worst path possible (other than extending him). 

They don't have a clue.  It's going to get so toxic and ugly next season they have no idea what they're about to unleash.  I don't see any way Woody makes it through the season.  It will then be such a nasty scenario with a completely bare cupboard I can't see them landing anyone good.  Looking like a Tom Crean like rebuild next Spring.  This people are idiots.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:16 AM, btownqb said:

Malik certainly seemed like he'll be back in the post game. Where he was asked some DUMB questions, I might add. 

And now his latest comments say he has to evaluate things with his family and advisors.  Either thats an attempt at getting more NIL $ or he’s really considering leaving.  If you forced me to bet, I think he leaves.  

7 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

And now his latest comments say he has to evaluate things with his family and advisors.  Either thats an attempt at getting more NIL $ or he’s really considering leaving.  If you forced me to bet, I think he leaves.  

Yeah you would think it comes to a point for some of these guys where money is nice, but they could play for a contender and not have to risk going through another season like this one (or worse) and still get paid plenty of money from the other school. So I guess we’ll find out if these guys don’t care if they have another year like this as long as IU pays them the most, or they end up being like screw that, I could go to a good team, win a lot, and get paid as much as I already was here and just not give a damn about a bump in pay just to stick around. 

To add to this, with Liam backing out, we know playing style probably had something to do with it, but also makes you wonder if he had chats with any of the current players and pretty much suggested don’t do it man, we’re leaving anyways. 

6 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I'm not sure why you'd do it at that time. The incoming coach would be seriously handicapped and some coaches who might otherwise be interested might not want that first year. They pretty much need to decide soon or wait, imo.

It would allow the incoming coach a better shot with 25 recruits.  That said, not sure the options would be better after portal season is basically done in terms of available coaches.

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I will say one thing that would concern me if true is if Pearl is saying that Auburn were to make it to the final four this year he would retire.  If he is already looking toward an end game of retiring, might not be the guy we need.

I think he meant he would retire an Auburn coach. Not just this year. 

While I think a change needs to be made, I agree with the BoT in that IU needs an established coach for immediate turn around over a mid major coach. Give me Pearl over May.

Listened to a Michigan podcast (MGoPodcast) on my way to work this morning. They had May behind coaches from Colorado St and Drake. They seemed skeptical that it took him until year 4 to break out. His year 3 was a drop like Woodsons this year. So they liked him but he was in the tier below their top gettable coaches. 

It was interesting to listen to them cover the issues with Michigan basketball under Howard and how he won with Beilein’s players. Then when it was his players he couldn’t construct a roster. They thought it was bc in the NBA there is a GM for roster construction and that they recruited players the NBA already identified as prospects. Those players jump early, and they skipped over the players that made them successful, ones who needed to develop and show the NBA they could play at that level. Which is what Beilein recruited. 

Anyway a lot of similarities between Howard/Michigan and Woodson/IU. 

I wonder how the coaching landscape/carousel will look this time next year.  It may very well bear no resemblance to how it appears today.  I fear we'll be in a "day late, dollar short" predicament (deja vu anyone?).

With recruiting DOA and possibly another flawed roster, I could see targeted coaches saying No Thanks.

9 hours ago, spe317 said:

I read that as, a poor portal haul will definitely make last year the last year. No freaking way they can him mid-season or even pre-season. Unless they can fabricate an immediate health step down. 

I misrepresented it to the original question by saying a "poor portal haul" but his post here seems to mean that if Ware, Mgbako, and Reneau enter the portal and an early Auburn exit could move the needle now.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 070012.png

2 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I misrepresented it to the original question by saying a "poor portal haul" but his post here seems to mean that if Ware, Mgbako, and Reneau enter the portal and an early Auburn exit could move the needle now.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 070012.png

I’d be shocked if Malik left now. Two weeks ago? Sure. Not now. Not with the money they are using. 

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

While I think a change needs to be made, I agree with the BoT in that IU needs an established coach for immediate turn around over a mid major coach. Give me Pearl over May.

Listened to a Michigan podcast (MGoPodcast) on my way to work this morning. They had May behind coaches from Colorado St and Drake. They seemed skeptical that it took him until year 4 to break out. His year 3 was a drop like Woodsons this year. So they liked him but he was in the tier below their top gettable coaches. 

It was interesting to listen to them cover the issues with Michigan basketball under Howard and how he won with Beilein’s players. Then when it was his players he couldn’t construct a roster. They thought it was bc in the NBA there is a GM for roster construction and that they recruited players the NBA already identified as prospects. Those players jump early, and they skipped over the players that made them successful, ones who needed to develop and show the NBA they could play at that level. Which is what Beilein recruited. 

Anyway a lot of similarities between Howard/Michigan and Woodson/IU. 

Exactly!  Dusty May might end up being a good coach, but if he turns out to be another Archie Miller, this program won’t recover for another 10-15 years.  We have to hit a home run with our next hire and it needs to be an established P5 coach