Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

31 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

That's absolutely true. 

I don't classify us as a Blue Blood any more. Sorry, just don't. What we are is a program treading water trying to get back there. Pearl isn't the long term solution, but imo he'd stabilize IU and inject excitement into the program, even if for only a short time, in a way May just won't be able to unless he wins big immediately. Bc if May doesn't, we'll all want him gone in a few years. 

L’ville is rolling dumpster fire right now. So if (emphasize “if”) they can pull that off, the only thing preventing IU from something similar would be lack of talent in the administration. 

Also, I don’t think people realize the down side to hiring Pearl. It’s not gonna be winning for 5 years and then moving on to the next great coach. Pearl will have to retire (most coaches are ego maniacs and retire way too late) or be fired like any other coach. A successful Pearl would want to make his successor like any other successful coach.    

Any bad ending puts IU right back to where we are now. A temporary injection of excitement was what Woody provided the last 2 years. One bad year and the natives are restless.

Pearl would be no different. So the question is really can he do something here in 4-5 years that leaves a lasting legacy that’s a credit to the program. The answer could be “yes,” but it’s a much different question than the one most are asking themselves.   

(fwiw, I don’t think any of this happens. It’s an interesting hypothetical though)

15 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Yes, I forgot they have campus there.

I actually graduated high school in 1981, went to Morehead State University on a baseball scholarship but threw out my arm throwing a ball from left field to home, transferred back home to Ball State, in which Muncie is my hometown, it was cheaper for me to live at home and go to school like IU and live on their campus. 

I from Muncie as well graduated in 90 from Delta.  Where did you go high school? 

34 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I know the majority of us really want a change and if it doesn't happen we will be disappointed. Saying that  I will still root for this team next year and watch every game like I always do. My team is on the floor and there are just a few things to make me not watch IU.  Having Woodson back as coach isn't one of those things.

Same.

I was born and raised in Indiana and graduated from IU -- so I'm not turning away now. I will say this, though -- I can't remember in my 40 years or so of following IU hoops feeling so indifferent. I always want us to win, but honestly -- these past few games, I watched, but was almost apathetic about the outcome. Lose to Northwestern? Didn't bother me. Lose to PSU? No worries. Beat Bucky and the Twerps? OK, but didn't fire me up that much. 

4 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

If Woody’s back for year 4, with a pretty bare cupboard, while OSU, UL, UM all load up with hope and potential, getting their pick of the litter of the best of the current crop, it’s clearly mismanagement and a bold signal regarding the admins prioritization of fielding winning men’s basketball. Even Quinn has to see that. A lot of long term fans will internet  it as the nail in the coffin it is.

I’m on board w/Pearl being a proven commodity and really like that he has signed the #1 PG, and one of the top SG’s coming in next year. He also just hosted another of the top recruits in the country. What are the rules for players being able to decommit and follow their coach when they leave a program?

Another, perhaps more important question — what are a school/AD’s ability to ‘lock-up’ another coach, pre-position opening/pre-end of season for the other guy. Can anything contractual be put in place w/penalties to help ensure/force commitments — or is it all just verbal back channeling through agents and others? Seems like we got played during the BS saga, caught with pants down which then stuck us with a long term Woody! How does the admin prevent Pearl from just using IU to get everything he ever wanted, and more from UA…and we end up day late/dollar short with what’s left in the coaching cycle and are forced to keep our Woody, or find another?

If it’s just on verbal/back-channels and hopes, then I’m not certain Pearl is realistic, as the risk of getting jilted again might be too great.

My take on it is right now it would be someone representing our athletic department in the past it has been employees of Adidas reaching out or meeting with the agent of the coach were interested in. I think they get a ballpark figure of how much they want and if there is anything else they are considering. Then the university sees if they can do that, and I think both parties verbally agree to numbers. IU is probably drawing something up to be ready if they do decide to move on. 

Listening to DD show and Fran Frashilla was on the show. The y were talking about KU and Self and how bad their season has been. Frashilla kind put a burn on Woodson. He said this summer he guarantees that Self will be out this summer working hard to make sure they have more depth next season. He said Self wouldn't be sitting around smoking cigars and drinking wine this summer.

I absolutely get the "the season isn't over" thing for anyone - IU, Woodson and any potential replacements... and I understand the need for all of the back channel discussions to determine interest level, cost, etc...

However my real concern is not whether or not Dolson can get it done, I have to believe that he can... but my real concern is who is actually calling the shots? If not Dolson, then who? And if not Dolson, then why do we even have an athletic director? If it's Buckner and his posse, why is Dolson even employed here? I know there's more to the AD position than just men's basketball, but I thought that men's basketball was part of the athletic department... or maybe it's a new endeavor under the BoT... 

13 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Listening to DD show and Fran Frashilla was on the show. The y were talking about KU and Self and how bad their season has been. Frashilla kind put a burn on Woodson. He said this summer he guarantees that Self will be out this summer working hard to make sure they have more depth next season. He said Self wouldn't be sitting around smoking cigars and drinking wine this summer.

All his assistants will be out recruiting. When Woodson doesn't feel like it, Hulls will replace him or Calbert will. Woodson thought it would be easier because he was an NBA head coach and he knows NBA players, but it's much more than that. Especially now with NIL, the portal, and AAU basketball. Indiana needs a guy that understands the new landscape of college basketball. 

1 hour ago, mdiu28 said:

For those that have Dusty May as their #1, genuine question, why? Is it purely because of his age? There are plenty of examples of coaches who had a Final Four run, went to a bigger school almost immediately, and have proven to be totally average at a P5 program.

IMO, IU continuing to hire the potential next thing would be deflating. Sure, he might be the next Coach K but what are the chances of that? Coaches like that come around once in a lifetime. I remember some wanting Holtmann very badly when Crean was canned and that didn't work out for OSU.

Blue Bloods (who stay Blue Bloods) hire sure things with a proven track record in the big leagues or they hire from within. They do this by throwing more money and incentives at them than they currently have. They don't take chances on something that may, possibly, might, potentially be a grand slam. Not saying Pearl is that sure thing, but I put his chances of success here at IU much higher than Dusty's. Dusty's chances of becoming the next Archie Miller are just as good as him becoming the next Bob Knight.

If we want to be a Blue Blood again, time to start acting like it. 

To be fair, at some point someone listed all the coaches that took a mid-major to a final 4 and the list was pretty impressive. There weren't a whole lot of busts on the list.

4 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

To be fair, at some point someone listed all the coaches that took a mid-major to a final 4 and the list was pretty impressive. There weren't a whole lot of busts on the list.

And Dusty’s mid major team may be the lowest mid major to ever do it 

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

I know the majority of us really want a change and if it doesn't happen we will be disappointed. Saying that  I will still root for this team next year and watch every game like I always do. My team is on the floor and there are just a few things to make me not watch IU.  Having Woodson back as coach isn't one of those things.

If IU brings Woodson back it will be a crystal clear sign from the IU administration that they are not serious about basketball. If that happens, there’s little reason to remain invested in the program. Plenty of other things to spend time doing. Can’t care more than the people in charge. 

43 minutes ago, str8baller said:

L’ville is rolling dumpster fire right now. So if (emphasize “if”) they can pull that off, the only thing preventing IU from something similar would be lack of talent in the administration. 

Also, I don’t think people realize the down side to hiring Pearl. It’s not gonna be winning for 5 years and then moving on to the next great coach. Pearl will have to retire (most coaches are ego maniacs and retire way too late) or be fired like any other coach. A successful Pearl would want to make his successor like any other successful coach.    

Any bad ending puts IU right back to where we are now. A temporary injection of excitement was what Woody provided the last 2 years. One bad year and the natives are restless.

Pearl would be no different. So the question is really can he do something here in 4-5 years that leaves a lasting legacy that’s a credit to the program. The answer could be “yes,” but it’s a much different question than the one most are asking themselves.   

(fwiw, I don’t think any of this happens. It’s an interesting hypothetical though)

Woodson’s first season was pretty lousy until IU won a couple games in the BTT to sneak into the play-in round. IU lost 7 of its last 9 regular season games that year. Pearl would very likely inject a lot more excitement than Woodson did.  

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My take on it is right now it would be someone representing our athletic department in the past it has been employees of Adidas reaching out or meeting with the agent of the coach were interested in. I think they get a ballpark figure of how much they want and if there is anything else they are considering. Then the university sees if they can do that, and I think both parties verbally agree to numbers. IU is probably drawing something up to be ready if they do decide to move on. 

So, it sounds like it’s all general term outlines and loose agreements w/out any teeth until a formal deal is actually signed. So, would have to take some substantial risk and rely on ‘faith’ that intentions were true. 

Anyone know the  current rule on incoming players (hs seniors) being released from their commitments to a school if the coach they signed with leaves? My understanding is that the school has discretion to approve the release of their commitments and it’s generally common practice for them to do so when there is a coaching change to avoid ill will/negative perception. Tough to keep up w/all the latest in the portal, Covid year, multiple non-punitive transfer era—beyond their generally being open mobility unless the NCAA has it out for a team or player.

Wow you guys put in some serious work over the weekend, took me forever to catch up. 

May is my #1 choice, if OSU or L'Ville gets him I'll be really upset

Regarding our rumors, is Dolson trying to raise support for the buyout or do we think we could force a retirement?

9 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Anyone know the  current rule on incoming players (hs seniors) being released from their commitments to a school if the coach they signed with leaves?

No coach in their right mind would ever try to hold  a hs senior to keep a commitment if the coach leaves.   They would get dragged through the mud.   Most ADs will ask the player to meet with the new coach before they release them but nowadays even if a coach doesn’t leave they could probably get out of LOI now kids don’t have to sit a year when they transfer 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If IU brings Woodson back it will be a crystal clear sign from the IU administration that they are not serious about basketball. If that happens, there’s little reason to remain invested in the program. Plenty of other things to spend time doing. Can’t care more than the people in charge. 

It is in my blood and have watched my whole life(53) so I won't stop now.

2 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

What's LeBron's connection to Dusty May?

Not sure, but when I saw this earlier, I went over to one of the OSU boards and saw a lot of no, No F'n Way, We don't want LeBum making decisions for us, or who is Bryce?