Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, hoopsta007 said:

So they have the money to pay one man (Stevens I’m assuming) but aren’t willing to spend it on any other elite options?  That right there tells me they aren’t taking this as seriously as they should.

IU wouldn't be paying Stevens, an outside booster would be. That booster is not just paying anyone that kind of money. I'm not even sure if he would do it again this time. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

IU wouldn't be paying Stevens, an outside booster would be. That booster is not just paying anyone that kind of money. I'm not even sure if he would do it again this time. 

They had a $5 million surplus this year....

I don't blame the alum who isn't keen on just writing them a blank check for just anyone though.  I wouldn't trust then with my money either.

Just now, ISP said:

Saying Dusty would be a deer in the headlights - that is your PTSD from the Archie era speaking. Forget Archie ever happened and you would take May in a heart beat. 

Idk FAU needs to stop losing. I understand the hesitance. We’ve gotten this wrong so many times. In all reality he’s only had one great year. 

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

IU is not going above 5-6 million for a coach unless it is one person. I know everyone says we have money and just go pay whoever but I know we're not going to do that. We don't want to spend the money to buyout Woodson right now

"We don't want to spend the money to buyout Woodson right now"

Does this mean he's back next year regardless???

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They had a $5 million surplus this year....

I don't blame the alum who isn't keen on just writing them a blank check for just anyone though.  I wouldn't trust then with my money either.

Remember just because you have millions or billions doesn't mean you know anything about basketball. Also, one family in Bloomington is very loyal to Woodson. Not sure you going to get them on board to get rid of him. They were at the game yesterday and weren't overly disappointed. 

1 minute ago, OldBuddy67 said:

"We don't want to spend the money to buyout Woodson right now"

Does this mean he's back next year regardless???

I would bet yes. From what I've heard it is yes. But we still have 7 games left so we'll see. 

Honestly my hope is Woodson goes the Roy Williams route. Roy was an infinitely better coach than woody but his last season he realized he wasn’t the best man for the job and stepped down. That’s a guy that truly loves his school. You still see him at the games. Obviously i can’t tell someone to not take the money but giving woody 6 million makes everyone happy and he can go to games and represent the program that way.

8 minutes ago, ISP said:

Saying Dusty would be a deer in the headlights - that is your PTSD from the Archie era speaking. Forget Archie ever happened and you would take May in a heart beat. 

Not necessarily PTSD just being  cautious.   No hire is guaranteed to be successful just like no hire is guaranteed to fail.    May like many other coaches has a ton of positives to get excited about being the next coach however he also has some areas that is going to cause concern.    FAU brought everyone back from a final 4 team that was a preseason top 10.   5 of his 6 losses this year are  to non tourney teams 92 or lower.    Road games for sure are difficult but for a final 4 team last year that is back again together this year I would have like to see them win a couple more of those games.   They are still a really good team but they better fix their defense if they want to make a deep run this March 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Remember just because you have millions or billions doesn't mean you know anything about basketball. Also, one family in Bloomington is very loyal to Woodson. Not sure you going to get them on board to get rid of him. They were at the game yesterday and weren't overly disappointed. 

Also, the athletic department lost around $65 million during the Covid year.  So the $5 million surplus didn’t just happen in a vacuum.

Bringing Mike Woodson back for a fourth season is almost unthinkable to me. It’s as close to an official “we don’t give a s*** about basketball” announcement that the administration could make without coming out and actually saying it (hiring Woodson in the first place is a close second). This is why they never should’ve hired an IU guy in the first place. 

20 minutes ago, ISP said:

No, I wouldn’t. And Archie did happen. And then Mike Woodson happened. Hiring a third guy in a row with no P5 experience doesn’t exactly reassure me. If he hadn’t been an IU manager 25 years ago people wouldn’t be pushing him nearly as hard as they are. He’s had one great seasons in six years. 

12 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Reneau’s recognition is god awful and has become very selfish and a black hole 

I was looking at his numbers, in particular fouls. Starting at the game at Illinois, he has gotten 4 or 5 fouls in every game except against Iowa where he played only 3 minutes. In the other 5 games in that time, he's fouled out in 4 of them. His assist numbers in that time are also a big drop off from what he was for most of the season up until that point. His scoring and rebounding have also been inconsistent in that time frame, scoring especially. So right now, all you really know you're going to get from him are lots of fouls and not very many passes to players ready to catch and shoot.

I was looking at his numbers, in particular fouls. Starting at the game at Illinois, he has gotten 4 or 5 fouls in every game except against Iowa where he played only 3 minutes. In the other 5 games in that time, he's fouled out in 4 of them. His assist numbers in that time are also a big drop off from what he was for most of the season up until that point. His scoring and rebounding have also been inconsistent in that time frame, scoring especially. So right now, all you really know you're going to get from him are lots of fouls and not very many passes to players ready to catch and shoot.

Indiana has “players ready to catch and shoot”? Who knew?

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure Calbert has any part in this, he is just player development but doesn't scout, doesn't gameplan, doesn't recruit. 

This.  I would pay a decent amount of money to sit for an hour with him and Hulls and listen to what they say about what’s going on internally.   

1 minute ago, 94Bulldog said:

This.  I would pay a decent amount of money to have an hour with him and Hulls and listen Tao what they say about what’s going on internally.   

I know one for sure, but don't think either would ever say a bad word or really sitdown to have a in-depth conversation about it.