Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Rule 1:  You never attack the fans.  Period.  Even when they are toxic schmucks.  

All he needed to do was -- Thanks for sticking with us and filling the hall tonight.  We got some work to do in the BTT, so come on out to Minn.  

I agree in general, but the fans he’s going after have sailed away I think. I still totally think he hasn’t done enough to be so haughty but the only way he’s going to win a lot of these people back is by kicking @$$ and winning. If it’s win or go home next year, maybe his mindset is that he’s going to go out swinging. Being one who has called for his job on here, I honestly took it on the chin and said hope he proves me right and runs the BTT.

For me it was nice to know the fire has not gone out for this team just yet and we may see some fun, mean, gritty, hopefully winning basketball this week. 

It's possible some are disappointed that winning is why Woodson will be back.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

We got a bingo

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

It's possible some are disappointed that winning is why Woodson will be back.

I am not one that would root for our team to lose!  But I am disappointed that Woodson wasn’t fired!  He really doesn’t deserve to be our coach the way he has acted, IMO.  And I was one that supported his hire at the time, now he can go straight to he double hockey sticks, lol!  He is again and will forever be a SOB

2023/24 Preseason Big Ten media poll

1. Purdue (24)
  2. Michigan State (4)
  3. Maryland
  4. Illinois
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Indiana
  7. Ohio State
  8. Northwestern
  9. Iowa
  10. Rutgers
  11. Michigan
  12. Nebraska
  13. Penn State
  14. Minnesota

So we’ve underperformed some; we’ll finish in sixth or seventh place (at worst).

Preseason polls by the media are nice and all but if we're predicted 14th in the big I expect our to finish top 5 in year 3 or our coach can hit the streets. We need high expectations not finish where projected

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

My opinion of his ability to lead the program hasn’t changed, and I thought it was odd for him to go there, but it didn’t turn me off. To be honest his and Leal’s comments, to me, kinda had me thinking…well, okay then, show some fight and go prove us wrong. 

Damn straight.

Now I do also agree with Golfman’s point; pushing back at the fans is almost never a good idea.

But life is messy! So a competitor who believes in himself was pissed and proud of how his team has responded.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So we’ve underperformed some; we’ll finish in sixth or seventh place (at worst).

Relative to November media expectations. But those expectations were low because he underperformed in the team building aspect prior to November. 

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Been on multiple IU fan boards.

This is the only one where being a fan for more than 40 years is condescended to. 
Please don’t.

Please understand that much of the financial support for the NIl or through the Alumni Club comes from the “blue haired rah rags.”

How would you like me to stereotype you. The generation that doesn’t know what is going on at the games because you’re too busy looking at your phone?

Wonder if you paid your tuition through school or were you helped by older generations who provided for you. 

The blue hairs could be your parents and are most definitely your grandparents. Are you going to typecast them that way?

Why do you assume I'm young . But yes I'm on my phone a lot . I'm a fire mike woodson thread junkie.  Anybody know where an H.A. 12 step meeting can be found. 

4 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Just as incredibly tone deaf as Woodson. 

People aren't upset that we've won 4 in a row. We're upset because it's become painfully obvious that he's going to be retained, and this 4 game win streak against mediocre teams is apparently a good enough reason to give him another year. 

And if I'm going to get excited about next year, I'm forced to be a fan of a style of basketball I abhor, at a program who now has to resort to buying talent in the portal rather than recruit and develop players, because the coach is too lazy to recruit.

So…. You don’t think there might just be a teensy-weensy tiny little element with just a few people that they are a teeny bit mad they’ve been wrong about loudly saying this team would tank?

Maybe not you—you’re generally a positive poster, but maybe that element is part of it with some?

6 minutes ago, kottke said:

I’ve wanted to move on from Woody for a few reasons:

1) The amount of losses his teams have had by 10+ points.

2) The extremely outdated play style. Like others, I’ve always held the belief that the style doesn’t matter if you’re winning. Well, not a whole lot of winning happening.

3) The belief that he doesn’t seem to be a coach who’s going to get us to the Final Four anytime soon.

4) To build off of #3, if we aren’t going anywhere with him soon, what’s the point at his age? Why delay the inevitable?

All that said, I have liked Woody. I’ve had no problem with him as a person. That has changed the second half of this season with the way he’s handled everything.  Yes, he was a great player, but he’s done nothing coaching wise to entitle him to be an arrogant A-hole. Knight earned that level of respect and tolerance with his performance as a coach. Woody hasn’t.

10000000000%!  This is exactly where I am, very well said.

And does not change the fact our only commit asked out of his LOI after it was announced the head coach is coming back. 

Not much more to say than that, lol. Hope we hit 3-4 home runs and 2-3 doubles in the portal. No plan B (or other contraceptives for getting absolutely ****ed next year)

Damn straight.
Now I do also agree with Golfman’s point; pushing back at the fans is almost never a good idea.
But life is messy! So a competitor who believes in himself was pissed and proud of how his team has responded.
But it's what's wrong with the iu culture now days imo. They have done ****. As of now it is below the standards. Win the big tournament and then make a sweet 16 and talk a bit. Not after 4 games when they don't mean nothing yet

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Going 10-10 in this league or making a "turn around" from 6-10 to 10-10 isn't some amazing feat.  It was hitting shots in junk time of a game you already lost.

Fair enough, but we’ve gone .500 or better three times in the last eight years. All three are from Mike Woodson. I don’t think he was beating his chest. I think he was saying exactly what Leal said. Chill out. It’s not where any of us want to be but we’ve now gone .500 or better for three seasons in a row for the first time dating back to….

2005-2008. Seriously.

I am choosing to view this as him being fiery and not giving up. Much rather that than have him tuck tail like a whipped dog when there is still basketball left to play this year.