Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Along with Galloway and Leal who have already announced they’re coming back, I think Reneau, Cupps, Sparks, and Newton are definitely coming back. Mgbako is the wild card here and while I don’t think he’s a first round pick, he’s definitely played well enough the last couple of weeks to go through the draft process and really get honest feedback. From a monetary standpoint, if he returns to school he’s not going to have it any better than here.

For argument sake, say MM does return, that gives you 7 returning players with 6 available scholarships. Jalen Blackmon needs to be priority #1. I’d take a long hard look at Luke Goode as well who went through senior day at Illinois with the expectation of entering the portal. A backcourt of Blackmon, Goode, and Galloway is a good start and MM being able to slide over the 4 finally gives IU and Woodson their 1 in/4 out lineup combo (I’ll believe it when I see it). Get a rim protector to come off the bench that can play 20-25 mpg and another forward with athletic versatility and you at least have a competitive roster for next season. 

Just now, lillurk said:

One silver lining to the end of the season is there are probably fewer holes than the mass exodus we feared, and the vibes should be better and thus more attractive to potential transfers etc.

Let's hope. The McNeeley loss is still a giant red flag to me. I am really curious if we hold onto Malik and Mgbako. That's the first step to getting disillusioned fans like myself to tap back into what this staff is trying to do. If you retain them and we hear about two high impact guards committing early in the portal window, I will be intrigued. Fair to say everyone's skepticism will be enduring until we see what the team actually looks like on the court. 

10 minutes ago, Trish said:

Exactly. Woodson has too big of an ego. He coached a guy named Carmelo Anthony 50 years ago. Kids nowadays didn’t watch Carmelo growing up, they barely know who he is. He hasn’t done anything worthy enough to have this big of an ego. 

Melo is the guy playing on the Hornets to kids nowadays. 

I know there’s a lot of angst tonight and I am with you guys to an extent. I want Woodson gone and agree that another year, even if mildly successful, sets us back. However regarding the donor talk and fans being bothered by the comments:

I think the big donors who support the current direction probably feel validated by the comments tonight being directed at “true fans” and thus are unlikely to cease support. On the contrary, they may even feel this is a personal shout out or thank you to them for their continued support. Sure they may lose some donations from disgruntled fans, but will it matter if those big names we discuss in this thread have already pledged multiple millions more to “right the ship”?

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Along with Galloway and Leal who have already announced they’re coming back, I think Reneau, Cupps, Sparks, and Newton are definitely coming back. Mgbako is the wild card here and while I don’t think he’s a first round pick, he’s definitely played well enough the last couple of weeks to go through the draft process and really get honest feedback. From a monetary standpoint, if he returns to school he’s not going to have it any better than here.

For argument sake, say MM does return, that gives you 7 returning players with 6 available scholarships. Jalen Blackmon needs to be priority #1. I’d take a long hard look at Luke Goode as well who went through senior day at Illinois with the expectation of entering the portal. A backcourt of Blackmon, Goode, and Galloway is a good start and MM being able to slide over the 4 finally gives IU and Woodson their 1 in/4 out lineup combo (I’ll believe it when I see it). Get a rim protector to come off the bench that can play 20-25 mpg and another forward with athletic versatility and you at least have a competitive roster for next season. 

I would were aiming higher than Goode. Theres going to be some huge names in the portal.

Not at all. Just saying that competitors can get kinda salty when they are getting shat on and then prevail.
Id rather have a different head coach, but the reaction from Leal, Gallo, and Woody today is natural and no problem whatsoever.
Mike Woodson has spent the past three years constantly reminding anyone that would listen that we are the best fans in any sport. He still thinks so!  it’s just that he’s a salty winning coach.
They haven't prevailed at anything just yet! Woodson and team have done what he has done since he has been here. Taken talent and failed just enough to box them in a corner. Then they try to fight out if it. Fall short in the end. All unnecessary. Big ten tournament is next let's see what happens. If we lose we haven't done anything and they all can shut up and get ready to show the untrue fans what's up next season. What we have seen so far isn't anywhere near close to what I want. Fun last four games. Cause we won! **** season

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

I know there’s a lot of angst tonight and I am with you guys to an extent. I want Woodson gone and agree that another year, even if mildly successful, sets us back. However regarding the donor talk and fans being bothered by the comments:

I think the big donors who support the current direction probably feel validated by the comments tonight being directed at “true fans” and thus are unlikely to cease support. On the contrary, they may even feel this is a personal shout out or thank you to them for their continued support. Sure they may lose some donations from disgruntled fans, but will it matter if those big names we discuss in this thread have already pledged multiple millions more to “right the ship”?

I don't think people's intention is to harm the program by withholding donations, etc. 

I think it's just about not allowing a team/program/university continue to string you along with false hope, when they're not actually pursuing the things they claim to be about. I've just watched the speeches and while I don't personally take offense I totally understand how it is tone deaf and get why people would be miffed. After the season that's been, getting basically a lecture about how bad you are for wanting the program to be better - rather than recognizing that fans are pushing for the program to be at its best - is a hurtful thing for a lot of people to hear. It certainly makes me less inclined to - want - to be invested. Can't help that I am. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

I would were aiming higher than Goode. Theres going to be some huge names in the portal.

I think that’s what got us in trouble last year in the portal and what has killed us in recruiting this last cycle; shooting (and missing) for the stars. We could do a lot worse than a knock down 3 point shooter in Luke Goode.

9 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

100% 

Moreover, do we really think that any big donors that were fed up with Woody would have now been on his side if he wasn’t salty?

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So that qualifies them to tell me if I’m a true fan or not. As a huge donor texted me. Don’t ask me to pay to go to Bahamas, don’t ask me to give to NIL, don’t ask me for my money if you don’t think I’m a true fan.

And if Woody gave a boring, inoffensive speech he would have been back on the Woodson train?

3 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Thanks to all the true fans out there who haven’t held the coach/staff/program to the same championship standards that the coach set for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Getting blown out to St Mary’s by 30 is just as good as winning the national championship. Give him 7 more years and he might land a recruit from High School!