Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

That is what Kent Sterling and DD has said but who knows if that is true or not.

What is funny DD said no one on his team went to bars from 10/15 to the end of the season. They just went to frat parties instead. Don't see much difference in the two. He said they live playing a early Saturday game at home and win that game. After a win RMK would let them free until Sunday evening.

Woodson needs to go, there's no question there. Does anyone expect IU, after what we've seen the last couple decades, to do what they need to get the hire right? I could easily see a "be careful what you wish for" scenario. This is the same administration that hired Woodson not because he was the best or even good candidate, he wasn't even remotely a good option, but because he played here over 40 years ago.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson needs to go, there's no question there. Does anyone expect IU, after what we've seen the last couple decades, to do what they need to get the hire right? I could easily see a "be careful what you wish for" scenario. This is the same administration that hired Woodson not because he was the best or even good candidate, he wasn't even remotely a good option, but because he played here over 40 years ago.

The chances are near zero, but that’s still much higher than the chances of Mike Woodson being the answer. 

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I think that Dolson knows that he has to have a home run hire waiting with pen to paper before he fires Woody. This $hit played out so badly last time with Stevens, you can’t have a repeat incident.

13 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Ego but also I don't believe he has the coaching talent to be successful at this level. He said he couldn't believe how little these kids knew about basics when he first started. I think he struggles to teach the basics and how to determine what each kid needs to be successful. Let's not forget he hasn't been successful in nba coaching. His biggest success was a moral victory in reality. That won't cut it. The real thing that is definitely real is being a great college coach isn't easy. Very few have had what it takes. You can't just throw a guy like Woodson here and think he is going win! Crean and Archie had background and there was hope. Crean had it rolling but proved not good enough. Archie just didn't have it. We need a proven winner or a really good candidate to give another chance. Dusty is the crean archie type but he has a few advantages over them imo with indiana ties.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I think you hit the nail on the head, these kids lack a the basics. Having good fundamentals out of high school will accelerate their playing time at the college level but if these kids don’t have them, Woodson can’t teach it either.  If Woodson comes back next year, which I think he will, then he needs only recruit players with high basketball IQ and good fundamentals or he needs to hire some assistant coaches who can teach fundamentals. Either way, Woodson needs to change what he is doing because if he don’t, he will have the same results as this year, probably worse.  I don’t have confidence he will change, he hasn’t proven that to anyone either.  Insane = doing the same things but expecting different results 

5 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I think that Dolson knows that he has to have a home run hire waiting with pen to paper before he fires Woody. This $hit played out so badly last time with Stevens, you can’t have a repeat incident.

The same Scott Dolson gave Woodson a raise and pushed the buyback a year after what should been considered meeting expectations last year. The same Scott Dolson got taken to the cleaners by Allen's agent.

Cignetti looks good so far but how he works out is definitely tbd.

5 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head, these kids lack a the basics. Having good fundamentals out of high school will accelerate their playing time at the college level but if these kids don’t have them, Woodson can’t teach it either.  If Woodson comes back next year, which I think he will, then he needs only recruit players with high basketball IQ and good fundamentals or he needs to hire some assistant coaches who can teach fundamentals. Either way, Woodson needs to change what he is doing because if he don’t, he will have the same results as this year, probably worse.  I don’t have confidence he will change, he hasn’t proven that to anyone either.  Insane = doing the same things but expecting different results 

That is the problem with only coaching in the NBA. Those players come into the league bring fundamentally sound so you don't have to teach it. Kids coming from high school still needs to be taught the basics and don't think Woodson can that.

The chances are near zero, but that’s still much higher than the chances of Mike Woodson being the answer. 

Quinn says coach stays. At least we have football and soccer.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

I have heard rumors that some guys, how shall we say, are more concerned with their social lives.  

It’s definitely an issue, which I’m not sure can ever be corrected. It happens every year. That’s why I mentioned Kilroys and Sports a couple months ago. These high school players come to IU and are treated like automatic celebrities before they do anything which also correlates with the Bloomington night life. Many of us, including myself, have lived the Bloomington night life.

It’s definitely an issue, which I’m not sure can ever be corrected. It happens every year. That’s why I mentioned Kilroys and Sports a couple months ago. These high school players come to IU and are treated like automatic celebrities before they do anything which also correlates with the Bloomington night life. Many of us, including myself, have lived the Bloomington night life.
Every college town offers those same type of establishments. Almost all players at this level are treated like celebrities. The coaching staff has to control their behavior

58 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

The same Scott Dolson gave Woodson a raise and pushed the buyback a year after what should been considered meeting expectations last year. The same Scott Dolson got taken to the cleaners by Allen's agent.

Cignetti looks good so far but how he works out is definitely tbd.

I think they need to clean house, top down.  When they fire Woodson, Dolson needs to follow him out the door.  Now that I am thinking this through, start with Dolson and then let the new AD lay the law down on Woodson, if things don’t change significantly, can is a$$!   We all know deep down he isn’t getting fired this year, so why not fire Dolson now and make it clearly uncomfortable for Woodson answering to a new boss.  It’s clear that changes need to be made, start there.  Oh by the way, can Quinn’s a$$ too

33 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Every college town offers those same type of establishments. Almost all players at this level are treated like celebrities. The coaching staff has to control their behavior

While true it is up to the kids to control their behavior. They have to care.  I have zero problem with the guys hitting the bars Saturday night after a win.   Back in the Archie days the kid would hang with them at Roys and such.   But they where also out the nights before the games — ever “wonder” why they played like crap on those Early Sunday games.  They need better self control.  

So been thinking about this.  College sports have changed to now mirror pro sports.  So who in these new times should be responsible for the strategic direction of the program?  The AD or head coach?  Should it mirror the pros with say a GM.  Then a personnel department responsible for player evaluations (both high school and portal).  Plus a player development department with the strength and conditioning guy, shot doctor, etc. responsible for developing the players.  Then leave the head coach to do game day stuff — offense/defense, game plans, etc. plus recruiting a roster he wants?   Seems the whole job may be too big for many coaches.   Kinda seems Dolson was working towards that with Matta, but that spot wasn’t filled was it?   

19 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think they need to clean house, top down.  When they fire Woodson, Dolson needs to follow him out the door.  Now that I am thinking this through, start with Dolson and then let the new AD lay the law down on Woodson, if things don’t change significantly, can is a$$!   We all know deep down he isn’t getting fired this year, so why not fire Dolson now and make it clearly uncomfortable for Woodson answering to a new boss.  It’s clear that changes need to be made, start there.  Oh by the way, can Quinn’s a$$ too

Dolson  has done a good job at IU. Most of our teams are really good or starting to look like it is going in tbe right direction. I feel like Woodson was not his hire and if given a chance would hire a really good basketball coach. It appears like he has a really good football coach and was allowed to pick the coach he wanted.

17 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Dolson  has done a good job at IU. Most of our teams are really good or starting to look like it is going in tbe right direction. I feel like Woodson was not his hire and if given a chance would hire a really good basketball coach. It appears like he has a really good football coach and was allowed to pick the coach he wanted.

Doesn’t matter how well you do in the non revenue sports if your revenue sports suck.