Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

36 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Disagree I would argue that Miller showed definitely he wasn’t going to work sooner than Woody

Archie was a bad fit.  His personality was just all wrong.  Archie missed on his evaluation of several recruits which helped lead to his demise.  But to be fair, Archie was hamstrung when he came into IU.  Archie was a defensive oriented coach and a lot of the Crean players were offense first guys.  It took a while to put in his defense.  Also, if I remember correctly IU had APR issues and the Athletes Bill of Right, so he couldn't run off players to bring in a point guard he wanted. 

2 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Archie was a bad fit.  His personality was just all wrong.  Archie missed on his evaluation of several recruits which helped lead to his demise.  But to be fair, Archie was hamstrung when he came into IU.  Archie was a defensive oriented coach and a lot of the Crean players were offense first guys.  It took a while to put in his defense.  Also, if I remember correctly IU had APR issues and the Athletes Bill of Right, so he couldn't run off players to bring in a point guard he wanted. 

Miller was also coaching when the B10 was the best it had been in 20 years. This year the B10 is the worst it’s been since at least 2004-2005

Edited by IndyHoops

11 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

I feel very confident saying that there are players that will transfer if Woodson stays.

Not sure what that has to do with the statement I quoted. That essentially CMW was riding on the coattails of Miller’s recruits

57 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

All of this is true... the wild card in this thing is Buckner and the BoT... obviously they would need a donor to step up and pay Woodson to go away, but finding "go away" money hasn't been a problem to date.

But is this train wreck enough to move Buckner? If the answer is "yes", Woodson is gone... if it's not, well, we get "I'm baaaa-aaack!"

I think the equation may be a little more complicated than that. I don’t know $h!t, as evidenced by all of my posts on this site, but I am pretty sure this is a calculus problem. Dolson has to thread three needles.

1. Keep unhappy donors happy enough to keep donating.

2. Keep Woodson supporters happy enough to keep donating.

3. Keep the team from being so terrible that people stop supporting them.

That is a hell of a balance to strike, especially considering that keeping Woodson supporters is the easiest path to keeping your job (since Woody is a nepobaby), but is also your most likely path to pissing off other donors and making the team terrible, which in turn would also lead to your demise.

Have fun, Scotty D!

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Does he really want him to be the coach "so bad"? I have no doubt he supports him and has vouched for him, but I think the level of his affection for Woodson is a narrative spawned by this thread. 

I’ve wondered this as well.

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Does he really want him to be the coach "so bad"? I have no doubt he supports him and has vouched for him, but I think the level of his affection for Woodson is a narrative spawned by this thread. 

It does seem like the take here is that QB has some sort of vested stake in Woody staying on come hell or high-water, which is completely baffling to me.  If he's your good buddy though you certainly don't want him to be a gluten for punishment when retirement is so much easier imo.  QB would probably know better than anyone that what this job requires is more than he can handle at his age etc..

7 minutes ago, kottke said:

I’ve wondered this as well.

When Crean was in his final days, there was all this talk about a "soft landing," that he was actively working with the administration to get his next job lined up so he could smoothly transition without a ton of bad PR. I thought it was BS at the time and I was right; nobody ever does that. He got fired and proceeded to not coach for a year, but people actually believed it. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Miller like Woodson had the writing on the wall with recruiting missed and roster construction.  And lack of player development.  

Which further illustrates to me that the bad coaches are a symptom of deeper issues 

Not really. It’s a numbers game.  There are way more bad coaches than good coaches.  IU’s problem is they keep finding them.  

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That seems like an administration issue then?

In the sense that they haven’t been able to find a winner for men’s basketball.  But the guys they have picked looked good “on paper.”   They may have not been a big dog, but nobody thought they would crap their pants.  But remember, the vast majority of coaches fail miserably — so IU is in good company.   Hopefully they get the next one right.  

Evaluation is the right word. Thanks JS. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

In the sense that they haven’t been able to find a winner for men’s basketball.  But the guys they have picked looked good “on paper.”   They may have not been a big dog, but nobody thought they would crap their pants.  But remember, the vast majority of coaches fail miserably — so IU is in good company.   Hopefully they get the next one right.  

Mike Woodson definitely didn’t look good on paper and most expected him to crap his pants 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Mike Woodson definitely didn’t look good on paper and most expected him to crap his pants 

Most did, huh? 
So those that funded our large NIL pot of money must have been idiots. Is that what you think?

Just now, steubenhoosier said:

Most did, huh? 
So those that funded our large NIL pot of money must have been idiots. Is that what you think?

Yes if they thought Woodson would be a good college coach. I didn't like the hire but like after every hire I was going to give it a chance. After almost 3 years it is obvious that he is not cut out to coach college basketball. His first year was mediocre and took coming back from 17 in the BTT to even get in the tournament. Last year was good but got blasted in the second round. This year is a total disaster and not much hope for next year.