Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

12 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

In the sense that they haven’t been able to find a winner for men’s basketball.  But the guys they have picked looked good “on paper.”   They may have not been a big dog, but nobody thought they would crap their pants.  But remember, the vast majority of coaches fail miserably — so IU is in good company.   Hopefully they get the next one right.  

Evaluation is the right word. Thanks JS. 

I don't know what they look at when evaluating coaches but something seems to be wrong. Take away the Final Four run and Crean was wildly mediocre at Marquette; his reputation when we hired was largely based on one run. Miller had some success at Dayton but they're a program that has had other coaches do well just to bomb elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Most did, huh? 
So those that funded our large NIL pot of money must have been idiots. Is that what you think?

The people who paid for this year’s team certainly didn’t spend their money wisely. That's for sure.  

And yes, most. Just go back and look at the reactions when he was hired. It was one big collective WTF. You had some sunshine pumpers who tried telling us that hiring a 63 year with zero college basketball experience and no head coaching experience in nearly a decade was a great idea, but most people weren’t buying it. 

Take a look for yourself: 

8 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Most did, huh? 
So those that funded our large NIL pot of money must have been idiots. Is that what you think?

Besides being a former player, what qualifications did Woodson have to be a head coach at the college level? “Idiots” is harsh. How about blind faith because “former player”?

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Missouri looks like dog crap with Bates….Bates provides shooting but is still probably a worse defender than anyone IU has.

But he does do something that our guards can’t do, and that is shoot the Ball.  Bates can’t be any worse at D than Mgbako 

Just now, IndyHoops said:

Besides being a former player, what qualifications did Woodson have to be a head coach at the college level? “Idiots” is harsh. How about blind faith because “former player”?

Okay, Blind faith.

Don’t think anyone who had achieved a level of success that they could afford to contribute is the NIL initiative would have believed that CMW was going to “crap his pants.” 
I don’t know if Woodson is going to keep his job or not, but the level of vitriol in this thread towards anyone associated with our basketball program is pathetic. 

4 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Okay, Blind faith.

Don’t think anyone who had achieved a level of success that they could afford to contribute is the NIL initiative would have believed that CMW was going to “crap his pants.” 
I don’t know if Woodson is going to keep his job or not, but the level of vitriol in this thread towards anyone associated with our basketball program is pathetic. 

Which is the exact reason Woodson needs to step down. Save his legacy. I’ve been a fan since the 80s and every coach change. Its going to get VERY bad next year…..and I don’t want a former player to go through that.

Edited by IndyHoops

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

But he does do something that our guards can’t do, and that is shoot the Ball.  Bates can’t be any worse at D than Mgbako 

Same with Sean East, who is having a nice year for Mizzou, and dropped 33 today.

5 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Okay, Blind faith.

Our basketball program is the only pathetic thing here. 

23 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I don't know what they look at when evaluating coaches but something seems to be wrong. Take away the Final Four run and Crean was wildly mediocre at Marquette; his reputation when we hired was largely based on one run. Miller had some success at Dayton but they're a program that has had other coaches do well just to bomb elsewhere.

Not sure what parties where involved with Crean, but I think the administration was still concerned with a Bob Knight bigger than the program type hire. So there certainly was an administration issue for a time.  I think that has ended, especially with the move on Stevens.  I think Dolson got handcuffed with Woodson and that experiment has failed.  I expect the next hire to be “the guy.”  

Can someone help me understand why Todd Leary is on with Jim Coyle pointing out all of the team’s OBVIOUS insufficiencies but following his criticism by saying “CMW isn’t going anywhere and I don’t  want a new coach bc there’s no home run hire out there and I don’t want to start over.”

He on the payroll? Help me understand.

14 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Okay, Blind faith.

Problem is Woodson had the opportunity to do great things.  He started strong retaining TJD and getting JHS and Malik.  But then his ego took over. And it’s been down hill ever since.  He’s squandered a great opportunity.  

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

I feel strongly that we need a new head coach for basketball.

54 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Thats a bold opinion. 

especially in this thread. :D

Problem is Woodson had the opportunity to do great things.  He started strong retaining TJD and getting JHS and Malik.  But then his ego took over. And it’s been down hill ever since.  He’s squandered a great opportunity.  
Ego but also I don't believe he has the coaching talent to be successful at this level. He said he couldn't believe how little these kids knew about basics when he first started. I think he struggles to teach the basics and how to determine what each kid needs to be successful. Let's not forget he hasn't been successful in nba coaching. His biggest success was a moral victory in reality. That won't cut it. The real thing that is definitely real is being a great college coach isn't easy. Very few have had what it takes. You can't just throw a guy like Woodson here and think he is going win! Crean and Archie had background and there was hope. Crean had it rolling but proved not good enough. Archie just didn't have it. We need a proven winner or a really good candidate to give another chance. Dusty is the crean archie type but he has a few advantages over them imo with indiana ties.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The people who paid for this year’s team certainly didn’t spend their money wisely. That's for sure.  

And yes, most. Just go back and look at the reactions when he was hired. It was one big collective WTF. You had some sunshine pumpers who tried telling us that hiring a 63 year with zero college basketball experience and no head coaching experience in nearly a decade was a great idea, but most people weren’t buying it. 

Take a look for yourself: 

BTB PSA: the term sunshine pumper is offensive to some around these parts.