Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I know Pearl's buyout figure is large but I'm sure (hopeful, at least) that there are accounting tricks that could be worked out... 

My ideal scenario right now? Extremely unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see us move on Pearl, have ~6ish good years with him, then bring in Dusty May who has hopefully proven himself in P5. If they both covet the IU job as much as rumored, I don't think it's so crazy to imagine. The money/timing and IU administration are the obstacles... things would have to align perfectly. So, it's very unlikely.

I'd be happy with May, Schertz, Schrews (also probably unlikely after just 1 year at ND)... Oats and Pearl would be great too. I'm more hopeful than most others that Woody decides to hang it up after this year. To me he just sounds worn out. 

TL;DR: I wish Woody would be the on-ramp to Bruce Pearl who is the bridge to Dusty :farting_smiley:

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

“But the media will call the fanbase impatient!” 

Yeah, so much worse than the media clowning us for being terrible. 

I am so freaking over this administration worrying about what the media thinks... Fire Woodson, hire a winner and screw the media...

43 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

All another year does is set us back another year but I would expect nothing less from iu

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

It's Indiana! It's Indiana.

41 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Basically, let's keep the main thing... the main thing. Do what's best from a basketball perspective and let the rest work itself out. Success on the court has to be the first and most heavily weighted priority. There's really no reason to believe right now that a 4th year with Woody has us on the right track. I just want to look forward to watching IUBB again instead of it being the chore this year has been and next year looks to be shaping up at the moment.

If IU gets it right on the court (winning) all of the noise will disappear... but the past 20 years has been an exercise in futility... the proverbial rearranging of deck chairs on the Titanic.

7 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I know Pearl's buyout figure is large but I'm sure (hopeful, at least) that there are accounting tricks that could be worked out... 

My ideal scenario right now? Extremely unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see us move on Pearl, have ~6ish good years with him, then bring in Dusty May who has hopefully proven himself in P5. If they both covet the IU job as much as rumored, I don't think it's so crazy to imagine. The money/timing and IU administration are the obstacles... things would have to align perfectly. So, it's very unlikely.

I'd be happy with May, Schertz, Schrews (also probably unlikely after just 1 year at ND)... Oats and Pearl would be great too. I'm more hopeful than most others that Woody decides to hang it up after this year. To me he just sounds worn out. 

TL;DR: I wish Woody would be the on-ramp to Bruce Pearl who is the bridge to Dusty :farting_smiley:

GoFundMe to make up the difference... after all, this appears to be a "grass roots" movement to oust Woodson, as Buckner and Dolson appear to not be willing to pull the trigger... would a $5M bank via GoFundMe move the needle for them? As fans who have suffered through this nightmare, we should have a voice that is heard.

I am so freaking over this administration worrying about what the media thinks... Fire Woodson, hire a winner and screw the media...
And again I just gotta get these guys to play harder!!

4 hours ago, Hornsby said:

It was a failed experiment the moment he was hired. The odds of it ever working were very small.

That’s not really true.  

Had XJ not went down again and we managed to make a 10 seed or the first 4 in (my preseason prediction) type scenario, and then Woody decided to step down so we  could move on, most people would actually laude the move. Especially, after the big swing and a miss on Stevens.  

Heck, even if he would move on after this year, most people would look back and say he was a decent transition coach having taken us to the tourney twice in three years when we had not been in 5 years and only went 4x out of the last 13 years.  

Woody’s tenure only becomes a problem for the program if he insists on coaching longer than he should and runs the program back into the ground where it was before. Even if he comes back next year and makes the tourney again and leaves, he’ll be remembered favorably by most. 

46 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

You’re not going to pay 17 mil for a 6 year coach.  Doesn’t make sense  

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s not really true.  

Had XJ not went down again and we managed to make a 10 seed or the first 4 in (my preseason prediction) type scenario, and then Woody decided to step down so we  could move on, most people would actually laude the move. Especially, after the big swing and a miss on Stevens.  

Heck, even if he would move on after this year, most people would look back and say he was a decent transition coach having taken us to the tourney twice in three years when we had not been in 5 years and only went 4x out of the last 13 years.  

Woody’s tenure only becomes a problem for the program if he insists on coaching longer than he should and runs the program back into the ground where it was before. Even if he comes back next year and makes the tourney again and leaves, he’ll be favorably by most. 

Team didn’t show significant or consistent difference when X was playing versus when he’s been out. All things point to significant turnover, and only McNeely coming in. Could Woody step up his portal game and hit a home run filling guards, shooters and other system deficiencies…sure. Is it likelier than not to get a complete roster w/talent required for success… No. Is there a lot of confidence in the system he runs? No. 

The current trajectory screams change NOW,  bring in a winner with experience and success.

Putting things off and trying again next year presents much greater risk than reward. New B1G contract money should help overcome some of the financial obstacles. Woody’s esteemed peers can work an intervention to overcome the pride issues and create a soft, amicable ‘retirement’ landing plan.

The administration is quickly facing a decision point where it will be required to show its cards as to where its true commitment level is at regarding men’s basketball. Last time round, Dolson got crossed-over/ankles broken by BS and or others, thus bringing us to today. Gene Smith didn’t have trouble quickly deciding things at OSU to set the table for a potentially brighter future. We’ll know where this goes within a few weeks. Struggling programs rely on future hope to get through the rough patches. If they run this back next year and fail, any glimmer of said hope will be be depleted to a level perhaps not seen before. If the admin shows it isn’t serious, it will be very tough for the fans to be.

1 minute ago, Deserthoozier said:

Team didn’t show significant or consistent difference when X was playing versus when he’s been out. All things point to significant turnover, and only McNeely coming in. Could Woody step up his portal game and hit a home run filling guards, shooters and other system deficiencies…sure. Is it likelier than not to get a complete roster w/talent required for success… No. Is there a lot of confidence in the system he runs? No. 

The current trajectory screams change NOW,  bring in a winner with experience and success.

Putting things off and trying again next year presents much greater risk than reward. New B1G contract money should help overcome some of the financial obstacles. Woody’s esteemed peers can work an intervention to overcome the pride issues and create a soft, amicable ‘retirement’ landing plan.

The administration is quickly facing a decision point where it will be required to show its cards as to where its true commitment level is at regarding men’s basketball. Last time round, Dolson got crossed-over/ankles broken by BS and or others, thus bringing us to today. Gene Smith didn’t have trouble quickly deciding things at OSU to set the table for a potentially brighter future. We’ll know where this goes within a few weeks. Struggling programs rely on future hope to get through the rough patches. If they run this back next year and fail, any glimmer of said hope will be be depleted to a level perhaps not seen before. If the admin shows it isn’t serious, it will be very tough for the fans to be.

All of that can be true. I was responding to the notion that Woody is a failed experiment and always was from the beginning. 

I would’ve been fine moving on from Woody last year. And I was plenty critical of him this past off-season. But I was always under the assumption he was the guy to stabilize things and get us to the next guy.  

I posted this in another thread, but consider May, for example, comes in and wins largely by keeping the core of McNeely, Mbako and Reneau together. In time, people will look back at the Woody era pretty fondly and not as a failed experiment. That only happens if he stays on too long and we continue to trend down. 

That’s not really true.  

Woody’s tenure only becomes a problem for the program if he insists on coaching longer than he should and runs the program back into the ground where it was before. Even if he comes back next year and makes the tourney again and leaves, he’ll be favorably by most. 
Team didn't seem any better with X at all except maybe in one game. Injuries are a nice excuse but had Woodson brought in another guard we would have more depth. Woodson does not get a pass on this one

35 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s not really true.  

Xavier played at the beginning of the season when we beat Army (who is 9-17 this season) by 8 points, Florida Golf Coast (who is 11-15 this season) by 6 points, Louisville (who is 8-17 this season) by 8 points, and got blown out by UConn. He played in the Nebraska, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue losses. The team is 4-6 against power conference schools overall, and 3-5 in the Big 10 when he plays. His injuries make good excuses for the Woody administration, but this team stunk when he was playing too. 

All of that can be true. I was responding to the notion that Woody is a failed experiment and always was from the beginning. 

I would’ve been fine moving on from Woody last year. And I was plenty critical of him this past off-season. But I was always under the assumption he was the guy to stabilize things and get us to the next guy.  

I posted this in another thread, but consider May, for example, comes in and wins largely by keeping the core of McNeely, Mbako and Reneau together. In time, people will look back at the Woody era pretty fondly and not as a failed experiment. That only happens if he stays on too long and we continue to trend down. 
If he stays another year and tanks it will not be looked on fondly at all. Its best for him to leave now I just don't think he will.

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

We need to hire Wittman next or maybe Kent benson. I would say benson need to try a guy a bit older.

Why not just promote Armond Hill?  He has college coaching experience where he led Columbia to its single worst season in the programs 103 year history.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Bruce Pearl would be a grand slam. Offer him a number he can’t turn down. 

Sounds like money may not be the deciding factor. 

just noticed his buyout is 17 M’s. That makes no sense given his age. Moving on. 

Edited by HoosierTrav

25 minutes ago, str8baller said:

The issue is that with the downturn this season, Woodson appears more interested in saving his legacy and being the bridge coach/savior of the program than anything else... his stuck-in-the-80s style and stubborn/refusal to change methodology will ultimately be his undoing... and it will be significantly easier to spin the "I was the guy who brought IU back from the Miller tenure and into the bright future that is (May/Schertz/insert-name-of-coach-here)" than it will be to spin the "I stayed too long and drove the program right back into the Miller abyss".

The wheels are coming off, that's a fact. How does Woodson want to be remembered? Dolson needs to push hard on the narrative of "how do you want to be remembered, Mike?" ... appeal to Woodson's inner arrogance. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Sounds like money may not be the deciding factor. 

I’m just shocked to hear his name connected at all. He’s a great coach but has never really coached at a traditional basketball school. Maybe he wants to finish his career at one? He did spend nearly a decade at Southern Indiana and has spoken highly of IU in the past.

Trying not to get my hopes up lol. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m just shocked to hear his name connected at all. He’s a great coach but has never really coached at a traditional basketball school. Maybe he wants to finish his career at one? He did spend nearly a decade at Southern Indiana and has spoken highly of IU in the past.

Trying not to get my hopes up lol. 

Yeah... I'm getting a solid "Billy Donovan 2.0" or "Brad Stevens 3.0" vibes from the whole Pearl discussion. Would be nice, but incredibly unlikely... and as of today, we still have a coach, right?