Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

I am hesitant to share this. I’m not a person with “sources,” and am not trying to claim to be someone who knows anything. I guess as much as anything, I appreciate this community and decided to share after thinking more about it. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Anyway, I know an immediate member of Dusty’s family and spoke with them last night. I try not to bother this person, but usually just say hey, I saw that FAU game the other night, etc. This person volunteered to me last night that the rumors about OSU and Dusty are true. They apparently offered him 3.5 million per year and the thing about Lebron offering more is also true. I said that I’d hate to see him go there and wished IU would hire him. This person said IU really isn’t high on Dusty’s list at all. He seems to think he wouldn’t be given adequate time, or if things didn’t go well, people would turn quickly.

This family member seemed to think (at least yesterday) that Dusty will most likely be a buckeye next year. Needless to say, I’ve been bummed ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think he has his choice between the two but I think he likes Louisville better. I know the family says that about IU but he would jump to come back. 

Thank you for sharing. He’s putting together staffs right now. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I think you are correct. I think it’s not just Scott but a lot of people in the athletic department that want to move on. 

I think Scott would like to wrap Dusty up but it’s a hard sell to Quinn and Boosters. 

We have the worst boosters in all of collegiate athletics. The only group who only cares about having “their guy” over winning. We need a new group of billionaire alumni to rise up. 

10 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

He seems to think he wouldn’t be given adequate time, or if things didn’t go well, people would turn quickly.

I'd like to think this part isn't true, because not only is IU way too patient with coaches (see: Davis, Crean, Miller), but successful coaches aren't worried about not doing well or how much time they get. When you're a successful coach, you think about things like winning, overachieving and how you're going to be a rockstar when you do it. 

I think he has his choice between the two but I think he likes Louisville better. I know the family says that about IU but he would jump to come back. 

Thank you for sharing. He’s putting together staffs right now. 

Yeah, I would think he would have his choice. This person also said that they “spoke to him last week,” so the Louisville job probably wasn’t open yet. I hope you’re right about IU. It pretty much made me lose hope about that, even if he was offered. Just to be clear, I don’t blame Dusty at all. Just kinda felt like a gut punch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

I am hesitant to share this. I’m not a person with “sources,” and am not trying to claim to be someone who knows anything. I guess as much as anything, I appreciate this community and decided to share after thinking more about it. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Anyway, I know an immediate member of Dusty’s family and spoke with them last night. I try not to bother this person, but usually just say hey, I saw that FAU game the other night, etc. This person volunteered to me last night that the rumors about OSU and Dusty are true. They apparently offered him 3.5 million per year and the thing about Lebron offering more is also true. I said that I’d hate to see him go there and wished IU would hire him. This person said IU really isn’t high on Dusty’s list at all. He seems to think he wouldn’t be given adequate time, or if things didn’t go well, people would turn quickly.

This family member seemed to think (at least yesterday) that Dusty will most likely be a buckeye next year. Needless to say, I’ve been bummed ever since.

Thanks for sharing! I personally love these little tidbits and personal connections.

My only thought is— turn on him quickly? Holtman won 20+ five seasons in a row and didn’t miss the tournament and got fired mid season in his only down year lol. Not sure that’s a safer choice if that’s a concern. Only he and Matta started with five straight 20+ win seasons in their entire history. 

Thanks for sharing! I personally love these little tidbits and personal connections.
My only thought is— turn on him quickly? Holtman won 20+ five seasons in a row and didn’t miss the tournament and got fired mid season in his only down year lol. Not sure that’s a safer choice if that’s a concern. Only he and Matta started with five straight 20+ win seasons in their entire history. 

Oh, I totally agree. I was really close to saying something like, “Well that’s all P5 jobs now, not just a place like IU,” but I didn’t.

I'd like to think this part isn't true, because not only is IU way too patient with coaches (see: Davis, Crean, Miller), but successful coaches aren't worried about not doing well or how much time they get. When you're a successful coach, you think about things like winning, overachieving and how you're going to be a rockstar when you do it. 

Yeah, I agree with what you’re saying. I don’t know, that could just be something Dusty feeds to family so they don’t get their hopes up about him coming home? Ha, I’m grasping at straws.

4 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Yeah, I would think he would have his choice. This person also said that they “spoke to him last week,” so the Louisville job probably wasn’t open yet. I hope you’re right about IU. It pretty much made me lose hope about that, even if he was offered. Just to be clear, I don’t blame Dusty at all. Just kinda felt like a gut punch.

But we’re too dumb to figure that out. We’re just going to run it back with Woody.

3 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Was hoping someone would point this out.  Hope he can turn DePaul around or at least make them respectable.  I remember DePaul in the 80's was a really good job......sort of like how we were in the 80's.  Man those were the days!! :)

21 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Thank you for sharing this.  There is something here that bothers me though.

He wouldn't want to come here because he doesn't think we'd give him adequate time??  For f*** sake, we keep coaches too long!  Louisville did the smart thing and fired their coach after two years and he's interested in them?

That just doesn't make sense.

44 minutes ago, Cd71 said:

Watching Fla Atlantic now and I would say IU is more talented at 4 out of  5 positions and I would put my money on Fla Atlantic. Dusty is getting a lot out of his guys.  I have watched his team any chance I had this year and I am more and more convinced he will be a pretty good pick-up for someone. I feel like he would be relentless in trying to accomplish his goals here.  Just makes me sick.

I might become a Louisville fan if he takes that job. They will start taking players from IU left and right because they will have an IU flavor just a little further south and will actually focused on winning. 

17 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

People would be more patient if they saw something was actually being built, we were with Crean. Part of the issue with Woodson is there's no foundation and no recruits committed.

I think context is always important. People turned on Woodson quickly because he was someone no one asked for or thought was qualified to begin with. People gave him a chance but we have seen the same problems each year get worse. Now he has no recruiting class. I agree part of the problem is fans are so restless from the years of just making stupid hire after stupid hire. It was never the fans fault these coaches didn't work out 

27 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Winning solves everything in sports. 

Crean got 9 years and was fired due to his inability to make in-game adjustments and a mediocre record in the NCAA tournament.

Archie got 4 years and was fired for the same reason Woody will eventually get canned - program trajectory trending down. Coaches are fired more much less these days but I can't say I disagree with Dusty's assessment of us if this is true. The fans can be brutal. That's because we care and are tired of mediocrity. OSU is a football school first and always will be. The noise will never get loud for the bball coach bc fans over there just don't really care. I guess that's nice for the coach but also depressing. 

Remove $$$ from the equation and I'd say if he had a choice between IU, OSU, and Louisville - OSU should be last on that list.