Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

The true fans comment was probably warranted given all the vitriol they've had thrown at them the past month or two even though they were not playing up to standard.

The "I've done my job" comment was outrageous however. I will leave it at that though I am excited for the BTT feel like we have a solid opportunity to make it to the weekend and then see what happens.

2 minutes ago, mamasa said:

What's funny to me is that so many who have called out X, Thomas Bryant, Troy WIlliams, etc. for their emotional outbursts on and off the court, but it's ok for Mike Woodson to act like a child (6th grader, trying to convince others he's the king of the playground)?

I haven't really read many posts here saying Woodson's speech was okay.

I guess the difference I see and why I am more willing to give Galloway and Leal a pass than Woodson is that Woodson's speech came from a small, vindictive place -- and it's not the first time. Galloway and Leal's IMO came from a place of frustration for fans booing the team, saying personal things about them and their team mates, and openly rooting for them to lose.  And I would say that if they did go out and play horribly and IU lost -- something a lot of fans wanted -- they still would have been subject to vitriol for how bad they were.  I think they were in a no win situation, whether they won or lost.  Just my take.

9 hours ago, Dunk said:

First post here - long time lurker on BTB. I watched the senior day "festivities" and felt like I needed to let my opinion out somewhere.

I've been a donor and supporter of IUBB since I graduated a decade ago.  Good team or bad. I watch or record every game and make plans around them. I'm known by friends and family as a die-hard fan. It's part of my identity. Prior to this evening, I merely felt that Woodson didn't have the team on a good trajectory and that it would be better served going in a different direction.

Today was the first time I ever felt like a fool for my support. I got told by the head coach that I wasn't a true fan for wanting what I thought was best for the program. That same coach has refused to answer any question regarding the program's future or acknowledge that he would be willing to make any change to get a better outcome. That coach then told me he's done his job and that it should never be in question while sitting in 6th the worst Big Ten in ages with very few prospects of success this season or next. Some are saying they just took the comments as Woodson defending himself. I took them as him dancing on the graves of those who wanted him out.

I won't abandon the team entirely, but I'm sad and angry that I'm not considered a fan by the program I love and have withdrawn future donations to IU Athletics as a result. Frankly, I'm disgusted by Mike Woodson as a person and, valid or not, I feel personally insulted and I feel like my time, energy, and money has been wasted.

Anyway, this post is too long but I'm glad I got that off my chest. My wife says I'm being dramatic but I guess she's a true fan.

Welcome. 

The players may like Woodson more than many thought. There may also be players that like Woodson as a person but not a coach.That said players shouldn't be the ones making the decisions about a coach. The last time that happened at IU things worked out great. Also Woodson has slacked off in several aspects of the job and many people know that. He can rant and rave all he wants but if you don't put effort into recruiting you won't have sustained success. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

A little self-examination; I've never been a guy that was especially bothered by that stuff. Hyper-competitive people with stuff that blurts out? That's pretty much everyone in life that has a hot motor. Probably why yesterday's speeches were pretty much a nothing-burger to me. 

Now, if we continue to not win at a high level? That's non-negotiable.

I'd rather have Dusty May than Woody because I like the odds of Dusty May winning at a high level for an extended run at IU much much much more than I like Woody's chances for that. But if Woody wins and vents frustration with an "I told you so?" That doesn't bother me.

That was truly not directed at you, as I don't ever remember you taking shots at the players for that behavior. I think that different people have different triggers for stuff like this. I am a HUGE anti-authoritarian (which is difficult as a manager lol) and this behavior last night hit me hard. If my employees said something like this to a customer, I'd fire them on the spot. But, it doesn't mean as much to others as it does to me, which is perfectly okay. I'm done w/ Woodson, I am supporting the team as much as I ever have, and hope for the best in the future.

24 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

My worry is we're stuck with him until he decides he's done because how dare the clown show IU leadership fire a guy that played there over 40 years ago.

You know his epitaph would have a 3rd person reference: "Mike Woodson's not going anywhere."

I honestly feel if the fan base thought he was doing a decent job he'd be much more inclined to just retire and go lay on a beach.  It's almost like he knows he's despised by the fans and therefore he's going to dig in and hang on for years not because he's happy but because blank us.  Massive, massive ego.

Nah. DD is a **** stirrer. Whatever he says the opposite is always true

“then a player that does more selling of products than producing despite being highly paid tells lifetime IU fans to “chill out” despite IU basketball being mediocre for the better part of this century

What A Day In Bloomington”

See. This **** right here is what i am talking about. Uncalled from DD. but absolutely par for the course for this *******.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me? vv-THIS-vv

26 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Year 1- B1G Finish- 6 games back from 1st

NCAA Finish- Round of 64 loss to       St Mary’s ( 29 point loss)

Year 2- B1G finish- 3 games back from 1st

NCAA Finish- Round of 32 loss to Miami(16 point loss)

Year 3- B1G finish- 7 games back from 1st

NCAA Finish- TBD but projected to watch from sidelines 

Woody or whoever can say what they want about who is a fan or not i personally  don’t give a crap what they say on an open mic it doesn’t change the fact that he isn’t the right guy to lead a college program.  People who wanted him gone were going to want him gone even if he got on the mic and said all IU fans are great. All this does is for people who were on the fence by him calling people out might change them to want him gone.   Take away the noise and the result is the same. Woody isn’t the answer.  

And vv-THIS-vv

15 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

The players may like Woodson more than many thought. There may also be players that like Woodson as a person but not a coach.That said players shouldn't be the ones making the decisions about a coach. The last time that happened at IU things worked out great. Also Woodson has slacked off in several aspects of the job and many people know that. He can rant and rave all he wants but if you don't put effort into recruiting you won't have sustained success. 

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's completely fair and true!

When Woody gets salty and pushes back hard against the predictions of his demise? ? It's human emotions; I understand how it happened and why it came out after a four game winning streak.

If the team underachieves after he throws down? Time to be gone, Mike Woodson.

He literally lost his only recruit last week lol. How does an 18-13 season with zero recruits warrant “pushing back against his demise”? He’s an incredibly arrogant man who thinks he’s entitled to unbridled support from the fanbase despite half a**ing his job and producing mediocre results. 

Really surprised to learn players and coaches were never criticized and heckled at IU before this season. Must have been a shock to their systems to lose in listless, uninspired fashion all year and hear about it. Personally, I don’t really care about their comments. Woody is arrogant and feeling himself after 4 huge wins against teams not going to the tournament. The players, again, don’t really care. I just find it funny being lectured by someone who made enough money in NIL while playing in 11 games and scoring 0 points that season to go viral paying off family debt. I am guessing most places don’t have the fan support to fund things like that for guys 12th on the rotation. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I found it interesting that yesterday, the announcer (Spero Dedes) said at least twice -- and maybe more; I missed a small portion of the game -- that IU had confirmed Woody was coming back. 

I don't recall that ever happening. There were several "sourced" reports that was the case -- but nothing ever came from IU itself as far as I know. And I wasn't necessarily expecting such a statement or release. 

Of course, Woody confirmed he is the coach after the game -- LOL. But I'm not sure that counts! 

They also "confirmed" it on the MVC Championship broadcast immediately followed by "but he lost his 5-star commit earlier this week" lol. Things are going great.