Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Woodson acts like a guy who loves the title but hates the job. He’s not a guy who is going to roll up his sleeves and grind. Hes not going to go pound the pavement on the recruiting trail. The dude can’t be bothered to even learn the names of the 5 star players he’s recruiting. He’s a guy who is going to pour a glass of wine, light a cigar, and sit back and relax. Teams take after their coach, and IU basketball is no different. 
Yep but he is protected so he knows he s safe.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I hear you, but not sure that matters when he is flush with cash and has friends protecting him... And I could argue that IF it was a matter of pride, that would change (or should have changed) a lot that has gone on so far...

I would agree.  It seems he's lacking some pride.  

Insane coaches after a loss would be watching the film, going over every granular detail.  I'm not even a professional coach, I would go over the games in my head for hours, especially after a loss -- looking for things we could do differently.  I was not fun to be around.  So I ended up here instead.  :)

I may be in the minority here, but I’d love to see our starters and Leal back next year with a coach that demanded excellence from his players and had a plan and scheme to get that out of them. I think we have talent (minus a piece or two) but lack direction and vision.

Just now, Herotime said:

I may be in the minority here, but I’d love to see our starters and Leal back next year with a coach that demanded excellence from his players and had a plan and scheme to get that out of them. I think we have talent (minus a piece or two) but lack direction and vision.

I’d take Ware, MM and MR and the rest can leave.

I am about 95 percent sure Woodson is gone imo. There is zero life to this program right now. If he had a few big time recruits signed he could ge another year but 1 player isn't going to cut it. You can't have this type of setback in year 3 imo. I wish nwe could fire him sooner then the end of season but I doubt that will happen

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I am about 95 percent sure Woodson is gone imo. There is zero life to this program right now. If he had a few big time recruits signed he could ge another year but 1 player isn't going to cut it. You can't have this type of setback in year 3 imo. I wish nwe could fire him sooner then the end of season but I doubt that will happen

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

In a world where logic prevailed, this would be the case. Unfortunately, we live in a world where money talks and everything else walks. Everything I ever needed to learn about the way the world actually works I learned from the Wu-Tang Clan. RZA should teach a class in Economics.

Celebrity gif. Wu Tang Clan a hip hop group sings through a montage of a night time cityscape. Text, "Cash rules everything around me," "CREAM," "Get the money," "Dolla Dolla Bill Y'all". Text repeats.

3 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

I disagree. 

Maybe I hold people to unrealistic standards, especially those that are getting paid millions to coach basketball, but in my opinion, doing this (whether it's standard practice for him or not) sends the wrong message to every single person in that building. It says losing is business as usual, nothing wrong here. Losing will not have any consequences and when that's the case, what (or who) is going to motivate anyone to work harder and fix this? Bc it wont fix itself.

I'm all for having a cigar or a nice glass of red but maybe not in my office directly after NW just beat me on my home floor. Go back to work, Woody.

After a game on Sunday afternoon what would be a  appropriate response be. I want Woodson gone but to get upset that he is sitting around with friends isn't the problem 

17 hours ago, ISP said:

Year 1 they broke FAU's scoring record and he was a finalist for the best new d1 coach. 

Year 3 they had FAU's highest KenPom rating ever (up to that point).  

Year 4 they got 2nd in their conference. 

Year 5 won conference and Final 4. 

Year 6 they are 20-6, moved up a conference and in the top 3. 

That is building a program out absolutely nothing. 

Their defense has taken a big step back (99 on kenpom now). I just know our fanbase and if we had a final four team that returned 14 out of 15 people and did not get much better there would be questions. I like Dusty don't get me wrong but I think having concerns is valid. He is not a slam dunk when we need one after all the losing. In all likelihood he is probably the best we can get and I could see him succeeding but it's not the given a lot of people want to make it out to be. 

I think for me whatever new coach we get better be flexible. It has been infuriating watching Woody and Archie before that be so rigid to their systems. I get big in season changes are difficult but we have played the same ugly style of basketball for the last 6 years now. If you see something isn't working do something to fix it. Scott drew changed his entire defensive scheme from zone to their aggressive man to man and they won a title after. I want things like that. Give me an innovator. Up to dolson to find that if he actually cares about us being great again. 

Basketball is a copycat game, the best are constantly learning and adapting. Shoot, we just lost to NW, Collins saved his job by realizing his weak point and hiring Chris Lowery to shore it up. Scott Drew and John Beilein both completely changed their defenses after years of playing another way. I just don't trust Mike Woodson to listen to anyone but Mike Woodson. Every time he's asked he just says "I know the system works." 

39 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

They're 20-7 now and their defense has taken a big step back (99 on kenpom now). I just know our fanbase and if we had a final four team that returned 14 out of 15 people and did not get much better there would be questions. I like Dusty don't get me wrong but I think having concerns is valid. He is not a slam dunk when we need one after all the losing. In all likelihood he is probably the best we can get and I could see him succeeding but it's not the given a lot of people want to make it out to be. 

Fair.  I think he's a much safer hire than Archie was but certainly no guarantee that he'll win big.

1 hour ago, ISP said:

Year 1 they broke FAU's scoring record and he was a finalist for the best new d1 coach. 

Year 3 they had FAU's highest KenPom rating ever (up to that point).  

Year 4 they got 2nd in their conference. 

Year 5 won conference and Final 4. 

Year 6 they are 20-6, moved up a conference and in the top 3. 

That is building a program out absolutely nothing. 

Archie Miller had a better resume coming out of UD in a tougher conference. Can’t believe fans think Dusty May is the answer.

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Archie Miller had a better resume coming out of UD in a tougher conference. Can’t believe fans think Dusty May is the answer.

Archie didn’t build Dayton from nothing. They had good years before he got there and after he left.

I don’t know if Dusty May is the answer, but it’s not really fair to directly compare the resumes between May and Archie.

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

You are correct it’s not fair comparison. Miller was light years ahead of May.

At schools that aren’t remotely comparable in terms of previous success.  Are you really trying to argue that starting point and resources don’t matter to the comparison?

I wouldn’t mind May. I’m ready watch to points being scored again. Also if May can convince a few guys to stay and a few of his players at Fau to come… IU could be a solid team next year. Maybe convinces the guys we want to stay…
Gallo Cupps Davis Reneau McNeeley Martin Boyd Goldin. Then get a few guys from the portal…. I could see a better roster construction from May than I could with Woodson. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Saw that Woodson was again blaming the players. Moren doesn't do that, and the players notice. 

To Hell with Dusty, just force-push Moren to the Men's team!

What the hell happened at Illinois today?

6 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

At schools that aren’t remotely comparable in terms of previous success.  Are you really trying to argue that starting point and resources don’t matter to the comparison?

I can’t give you a better example of a mid major one hit wonder.