Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Mike Woodson on his coaches show a few minutes ago “I’m a realist, man. I mean I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve seen good and bad teams, and it ain’t time to panic, you know, we’ve just got to continue to work and see where it leads us.” 

13 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Woodson on radio show says we have played good basketball in spurts. Just not long enough to win. He needs to keep working with these guys to get them over that hump.
We have another hump to get over!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

It's a new team so in another 25 games I'm sure he'll have them clicking. It's a big hump to get over. Just gotta keep working. (on what? Never specified)

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s the ‘woe is us’ defeatist attitude that the administration wants us to have so they can excuse cheaping out and making a mediocre hire. It’s not “IU can’t.” It’s “IU won’t.” Use some of that surplus and offer $7 million a year. If you still can’t get a proven coach (they definitely could) then just shut down the program completely. 

No it's not, is isn't  just an IU thing but just a college basketball thing. Where are all of these great coaches leaving for another school. 

I'm the last few years all of these jobs came open

Syracuse

Villanova

UNC

Duke

UCLA

Mick Cronin was the biggest hire and he came from UC so not a power conference team.

6 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Mike Woodson on his coaches show a few minutes ago “I’m a realist, man. I mean I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve seen good and bad teams, and it ain’t time to panic, you know, we’ve just got to continue to work and see where it leads us.” 

He’s an idiot if he believes that. I knew this season was a dud with this roster in September. Season is over. 

11 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Oh wow.  Has nobody told him the season is over?

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s the ‘woe is us’ defeatist attitude that the administration wants us to have so they can excuse cheaping out and making a mediocre hire. It’s not “IU can’t.” It’s “IU won’t.” Use some of that surplus and offer $7 million a year. If you still can’t get a proven coach (they definitely could) then just shut down the program completely. 

If you want us to move this year we don't have the money for this. We just moved on from the 20 million dollar man in football. Woody is at 12.5 mill, and we would have to pay to buy the new coach out and any "proven" coach is gonna be 10+ million as well. 

27 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Could this team lose the rest of its games?  And if so, no way you can keep Woodson at that point, right?

Buckner, Dolson and the Cook family's money.

33 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Woodson on radio show says we have played good basketball in spurts. Just not long enough to win. He needs to keep working with these guys to get them over that hump.

The phrase “the hump” now causes me to go into unconscious teeth grinding… 

21 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Still on that d****d hump... and with his backing (Buckner and the Cook family checkbook), he ain't ready to panic...

21 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It's a new team so in another 25 games I'm sure he'll have them clicking. It's a big hump to get over. Just gotta keep working. (on what? Never specified)

so long as he was drumming his hands/fingers when he said it...

22 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Like who

in no particular order 

1. Jay Wright - long shot but hope money talks, we have to put out the feeler.  Would be a king here

2. Brad Stephens - just to see if anything has changed, probably not as he’s in higher spot with Celtics

3. Nate Oates - Does he want the challenge, seems like the type

4. Mick Cronin - Does he miss the Midwest and would he bring excitement to the fan base

5. Mike White - Currently at Georgia, had some success at Florida

2 minutes ago, SamIam said:

If you want us to move this year we don't have the money for this. We just moved on from the 20 million dollar man in football. Woody is at 12.5 mill, and we would have to pay to buy the new coach out and any "proven" coach is gonna be 10+ million as well. 

Nearly each institution in the BigTen has more money than they know what to do with. The new TV deal, big donors, etc. make almost anything feasible--if it is wanted badly enough. 

Also, if IU is willing to fork over $15+ million to get rid of a bad football head coach, then less money to move on from a bad coach in the beloved sport that has been the university's athletic identity for more than 85 years won't be an issue--if they really want to.

These buyouts sound like big money, and they are huge deals. It's just that the wallets are getting so fat it can be difficult to comprehend. 

41 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

He should talk to this guy….he seems to be a hump expert!

IMG_1618.gif

1 minute ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

in no particular order 

1. Jay Wright - long shot but hope money talks, we have to put out the feeler.  Would be a king here

I think if Jay wanted to coach again, he'd already have a job. He's said he's done -- and I get the impression he has no interest in dealing with NIL or the craziness that is the portal. 

Even if "money talks" and we were somehow able to make him -- as The Godfather said -- an offer he couldn't refuse, I'd be very leery. I'd worry that his heart really isn't into it and he's obviously only doing it for the $$$. 

42 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Last 4 seasons at Dayton he averaged 26 wins, made the tournament all four years and won the A10 twice.

This was thought as a great home run hire by everyone.  Sometimes thinks just don’t work out, was just in over his head.