Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

COMPLAIN HERE!

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think that's right. Not really sure he would have helped anymore his freshman year than Josh Newkirk. Honestly can't say whether if have Newkirk or Johnson this season. I will say, Newkirk did way less stupid crap.

Full story.....Archie Miller told McKinley Wright he should stay committed to Dayton and only half-heartedly said that he would have a scholarship at IU when he decommitted from Dayton.

Wright's freshman year at Colorado:  14.2 ppg, 4.7 reb, 5.5 ast.  45% shooter.

Newkirk that year:  7.1 ppg, 2.1 reb, 2.8 ast.  38% shooter.

11 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

“You know what you did, you wrecked this program” 

Crean went out of his way to confront him. Like him or not, the dude cared about this program and wanted to succeed. 

I thought this was pretty dorky and generally didn’t like his manic spaz personality, which probably explains why I like him less than most on here.  

I do agree he was a generally nice guy who cared, though. Mike Davis is a nice guy too. Happy to have them back from time to time. Don’t need to ever see them coach a game again, though. 

9 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Full story.....Archie Miller told McKinley Wright he should stay committed to Dayton and only half-heartedly said that he would have a scholarship at IU when he decommitted from Dayton.

Wright's freshman year at Colorado:  14.2 ppg, 4.7 reb, 5.5 ast.  45% shooter.

Newkirk that year:  7.1 ppg, 2.1 reb, 2.8 ast.  38% shooter.

Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis reported point guard McKinley Wright, Minnesota's Mr. Basketball, told him "he has a spot at Indiana, if he wants." per Could top Dayton recruit follow Archie Miller to IU? (indystar.com)   Wolfson reported the above on a Monday.

The very next day, Archie Miller was on Dan D's radio show: 

On Tuesday, however, Archie Miller went on the Dan Dakich show to discuss some of his various goals with Indiana. With the potential roster spot on the table for Wright, Dakich appropriately asked about the possibility.

“McKinley Wright is obviously signed with Dayton,” said Miller. “He’s a fantastic player. Minnesota state player of the year, and I hope he goes to Dayton. He went to Dayton for the right reasons and I’ll probably leave it at that because my job isn’t to recruit him anywhere else.”

With Miller’s somewhat deflective statements, it will be interesting to see how things play out. Miller was certainly right about Wright being a fantastic player, as he was recently named Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota. Could Dayton commit McKinley Wright join Archie Miller and the Hoosiers? - The Crimson Quarry

I also read a story reporting the same in the Dayton Daily News.  It was reported, if I remember correctly, that the recruit related Archie Miller and the 'offer from IU'.  Archie Miller then 'seemed to get the word from IU Administration' (which I do not know as a fact, I will admit) that we don'[t do that at IU.  The 'story' the recruit gave in the press sure did not seem like the offer was halfhearted.  I would intuit that it may have been premature, for sure.  It sure did not pass the smell test at the time.  And certainly, Miller's reliance on smart, team playing athletes and great ball handling all was lacking throughout his IU stay.  Sux'd bigly.

McKinley Wright is still playing in the pros overseas.  Was on the PAC-12 All Freshman Team;  and 3 times All-PAC-12 Team.  Not drafted into the NBA but signed with the Minn. Timberwolves then Dallas Mavericks.  

I say that's Miller's fault for failing at IU.  True.  But, I still have sour grapes about the lack of support, apparently, from the top at IU, for the reasons that I posted elsewhere on this thread.

I just can't decide which head coach hire by IU was the worst:  Davis; Sampson; Dan D does not count in any list; Sampson; Crean...  I think the worst is all of the above.  That and the IU Administration.  Wholly Deflated Basketball, Batman!  Now throw the ultra-sloppy handling of the RMK firing and last few years.  Just shoot me.   Never mind.  We don't have any good shooters that shoot.  Well shoot.

Instead of shooting long 2s and attempting a few 3s...IU should always draw a foul and HIT the 3s.  (Except when the opponent does it...I have never metaphor that I didn't like.)  /s

14 hours ago, coonhounds said:

I can't believe he is till around. Been long enough. The knight altercation was 25 years ago lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1992 was over 30 years ago. Feeling old now?

Though TV Teddy had a happy whistle -- which included a T on RMK -- at the 1992 Final Four, this is "the incident" between the two. It was 1998, and Teddy called three Ts on him, including one after he already had been thrown out of the game. 

And one of the techs came when Bob went on the court to check on Luke Recker, who was injured. Ol' Teddy didn't seem to realize that, and though it seems his co-officials knew it was a bogus tech, they couldn't do anything about it. 

As Knight exited the court, he made a beeline toward Teddy -- but just walked past him. When this happened, I was worried he was gonna totally lose it, and push him or shove him or worse ... 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Though TV Teddy had a happy whistle -- which included a T on RMK -- at the 1992 Final Four, this is "the incident" between the two. It was 1998, and Teddy called three Ts on him, including one after he already had been thrown out of the game. 

And one of the techs came when Bob went on the court to check on Luke Recker, who was injured. Ol' Teddy didn't seem to realize that, and though it seems his co-officials knew it was a bogus tech, they couldn't do anything about it. 

As Knight exited the court, he made a beeline toward Teddy -- but just walked past him. When this happened, I was worried he was gonna totally lose it, and push him or shove him or worse ... 

I remember that game, tv Teddy was a horrible ref.  He definitely didn’t like Knight and those calls made it obvious 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

He still cares about IU basketball. For the crap Crean sometimes takes from fans, he still often posts and engages with IU fans, shares clips of great moments during his tenure, tags IU basketball when sharing pics of him with former players, etc. 

He's been pure class since leaving IU. 

Love Tom Crean - he blocked me on X though many years ago. Tom, if you see this I'm sorry man please unblock me

14 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Huh? That is how we play now. 

I think this is simply him continuing to adapt and shorten the bench even further. When Ware goes out, go 3 guard and keep MM in. 

Doubt many will admit and most would have wanted it way faster but for s guy too stubborn to change, sure seeing more and more of it. 

Sorry meant to say he wants to play mgbacko in the post 

1 hour ago, realTomCrean said:

Love Tom Crean - he blocked me on X though many years ago. Tom, if you see this I'm sorry man please unblock me

He did me too. I'm still blocked also. I have some friends he unblocked, but not me. I used to officiate his practices, good thing he never made the connection to me and my twitter account. 

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He did me too. I'm still blocked also. I have some friends he unblocked, but not me. I used to officiate his practices, good thing he never made the connection to me and my twitter account. 

I got slammed on this board once for saying Crean is insecure and it was reflected in the way he ran the program. All these years later I stand by what I said. 

52 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I got slammed on this board once for saying Crean is insecure and it was reflected in the way he ran the program. All these years later I stand by what I said. 

Yeah, he's a fun Twitter follow now and and it's great how he's embracing IU fans and his time here, but he was an absolute crazy person when he coached at IU. 2024 Tom Crean is not the same person as IU Head Coach Tom Crean.

16 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Ya also he mentioned playing Mgbacko at the 4. Does he plan on having 3 post players on the court at once? 

I wouldn’t count anything out when it comes to CMW and this flawed roster.  That would be a sight to see, Ware, Reneau and Sparks all playing on the floor together, lmao!

I think sometimes about how "close" IU was with both the Crean and Sampson eras.

If Crean could have been more consistent year to year, and better with defense and valuing the ball (and zones).

If someone at IU could have better managed the culture during Sampson's time.

Either of those periods could have been, in theory, really, really successful. Potentially, championship level success.

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Yeah, he's a fun Twitter follow now and and it's great how he's embracing IU fans and his time here, but he was an absolute crazy person when he coached at IU. 2024 Tom Crean is not the same person as IU Head Coach Tom Crean.

Honestly though, I would love to see a little of that crazy and energy out of CMW.  I think we might get an additional call or two in a game because the refs might be afraid of Woodson going postal on them!