Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

COMPLAIN HERE!

19 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

The saga on Sampson is an interesting case study on implicit bias.  A group of Indiana basketball fans, comprised of largely middle aged caucasian males, latches onto the main reason for the program's implosion in 2008 to be due to an African American coach's inability to control a roster of largely young African American players because of "drug dealers and pimps".  It feels kind of gross saying it like this. 

The hate is real . Sampson is the third rail on Facebook . 

29 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

The saga on Sampson is an interesting case study on implicit bias.  A group of Indiana basketball fans, comprised of largely middle aged caucasian males, latches onto the main reason for the program's implosion in 2008 to be due to an African American coach's inability to control a roster of largely young African American players because of "drug dealers and pimps".  It feels kind of gross saying it like this. 

That may be your perspective.

I think that the reason for the program's implosion is the fight at the top over Bob Knight's monetary influence over alumni and fans vs the politics in the statehouse and the Administration at IU and jealousy when chasing the almighty dollar and power while using education and political correctness as the weapons.

Sampson was unfortunately hired while on probation then not monitored.   Remember, it was not the fact that he was turned in...but the fact that he cheated in spite of being on probation.  If one ignores the issue that that secret would eventually bring IU down, then that is foolhardy.  IU did not have to self-prescribe our sanctions as severely as it was except for the incompetence of management at all levels.  

But remember, RMK was dealt with in a somewhat analogous fashion. Lots of blame there, myriad issues.  I do think that bigotry most likely was involved because of Herbert and Sampson being minorities flexing muscle.  But I am not an insider.  And the jealousy and bigotry need to be dealt with in step with and understanding that the largest connection with the University after graduation or even without graduation is sports.  

22 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Meh.  I couldn’t care less about any of that word salad.  I do care about Sampson’s inability to avoid NCAA infractions when he knew he would be under a microscope.  In today’s more forgiving NCAA rules, I’d love for him to be our coach.  

Personally, the only coach I have ever called scum on this board is Steve Alford for his actions at Iowa (although you could throw Dave Bliss in there for obvious reasons).

33 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Meh.  I couldn’t care less about any of that word salad.  I do care about Sampson’s inability to avoid NCAA infractions when he knew he would be under a microscope.  In today’s more forgiving NCAA rules, I’d love for him to be our coach.  

Personally, the only coach I have ever called scum on this board is Steve Alford for his actions at Iowa (although you could throw Dave Bliss in there for obvious reasons).

I would say Dave Bliss was the worst

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Sampson still flummoxes me. He came from Oklahoma, where he already was in trouble for impermissable calls/texts. In fact, I believe he came to IU with recruiting restrictions already in place. He was told to not to pull that at IU. Not only did he do it again, but he lied about it.

The fact that what he did is no longer a rules violation (as many like to point out) is irrelevant. He was told not to do it -- and he did it anyway. Had he been able to control himself, who knows? He might still be in Bloomington, and we wouldn't be in the mess we are now. 

Sampson is Indian. People's still call him black which is comical 15 years later  

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Tom Izzo had issues at Michigan State that are as bad as what Alford did at Iowa.  

8 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Sampson is Indian. People's still call him black which is comical 15 years later  

Believe he is a member of the black coaches association and they invite him to the barbeques. 

2 hours ago, Five Prime said:

--

I fixed this for you. The only way to move forward is to speak as the overwhelming majority of the population think. It is 2024 not 1957. It was 2008 - Indiana elected our first African American President and voted blue, an extreme outlier in historical voting records of our state. Implicit Bias for a basketball coach, but not for our President?

Implicit Bias for IU basketball fans is a hard conclusion for me to get to as IU fans (in 2008 and today) idolize(d): Isaiah Thomas, Buckner, Cheaney, Guyton, Gordon, Walt Bellamy, McGinnis, Woodson, May, Henderson, and Jeffries. I just can't be convinced and personally a comment that incites racial rhetoric that is presented w/o evidence is not appreciated. Our country, our state, and Indiana University have hurdled many challenges over the past 75 years in regard to race relations and equality - a comment like this sets us back, creates unneeded divide, and disservices the work of our ancestors to make a better place for us all. 

I do understand where the idea can come up though - Dan Dakich did put it out that players were selling/using drugs, and he did call them thugs. Which, if true, is absolutely worth bringing up - though I don't know the factualness of the claim, so I won't comment. 

We are not white/black/Asian Americans - Just Americans. 

29 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

He's Native American, not from India

5 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

--

I fixed this for you. The only way to move forward is to speak as the overwhelming majority of the population think. It is 2024 not 1957. It was 2008 - Indiana elected our first African American President and voted blue, an extreme outlier in historical voting records of our state. Implicit Bias for a basketball coach, but not for our President?

Implicit Bias for IU basketball fans is a hard conclusion for me to get to as IU fans (in 2008 and today) idolize(d): Isaiah Thomas, Buckner, Cheaney, Guyton, Gordon, Walt Bellamy, McGinnis, Woodson, May, Henderson, and Jeffries. I just can't be convinced and personally a comment that incites racial rhetoric that is presented w/o evidence is not appreciated. Our country, our state, and Indiana University have hurdled many challenges over the past 75 years in regard to race relations and equality - a comment like this sets us back, creates unneeded divide, and disservices the work of our ancestors to make a better place for us all. 

I do understand where the idea can come up though - Dan Dakich did put it out that players were selling/using drugs, and he did call them thugs. Which, if true, is absolutely worth bringing up - though I don't know the factualness of the claim, so I won't comment. 

We are not white/black/Asian Americans - Just Americans. 

Does anyone really think the idea is that farfetched? That Sampson created a horrible culture? I mean look at the kids Sampson was trying to bring in. Bud Mackey busted for trafficking cocaine IN HIGH SCHOOL, served a lengthy prison sentence, was released and busted AGAIN for trafficking meth. Eli Holman missed his entire junior season after he punched out a referee mid-game and then missed most of his senior season because he was shot in the head at a gang affiliated party. Armon Bassett has had multiple run-ins with the law the last several years. Kids were doing a lot more than simply smoking weed.

6 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Lol the PC police are out. He is American Indian. Is that better or do I still fail the PC test?

Look, you are wrong. I know it's your schtick to act like the local tough guy, but Indian is someone from the country of India. Native Americans are members of indigenous tribes to North America. Not that tough. It's not PC, it's being correct. 

11 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Lol the PC police are out. He is American Indian. Is that better or do I still fail the PC test?

American Indian?  And here I thought he was a Lumbee.

18 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Look, you are wrong. I know it's your schtick to act like the local tough guy, but Indian is someone from the country of India. Native Americans are members of indigenous tribes to North America. Not that tough. It's not PC, it's being correct. 

I know an American Indian.  He is from Punjab.